U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,782,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Does Jimmie Johnson have any chance of catching and passing Jeff? (Jimmie has 54 Cup wins).
As much as I can't stand JJ, I'd say the odds are good that he will pass Jeff in wins some day if he stays healthy. If Jeff is racin after 40 I'll be surprised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,864,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
As much as I can't stand JJ, I'd say the odds are good that he will pass Jeff in wins some day if he stays healthy. If Jeff is racin after 40 I'll be surprised?
If Jimmy is going to pass JG he is going to have to have more than 1 or 2 wins a year.

If this year is any indication of parity in NASCAR, 10 wins a season are going to be real difficult for anybody.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:46 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Congratulations to Jeff Gordon on his 85th Cup win. (BTW, the last few laps of the Atlanta race was awesome to watch, with 4-time and 5-time going against each other...) Jeff is now third all time.

Does Jimmie Johnson have any chance of catching and passing Jeff? (Jimmie has 54 Cup wins). BTW, Kyle has 23 Cup wins (tied with his brother Kurt).
If you go by average wins per season, probably not. Jimmy's forte' is consistency, which is his downfall, he is sooo consistent that it makes him bland, which is why he really hasn't garnered the attention like the others.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:16 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,575,348 times
During a tribute to Jeff after the Atlanta race by ESPN, Jimmie says that Jeff will be the sole holder of third place in the Cup Champion standings forever.

Jeff has a lifetime contract with HMS. Not sure how much longer Jeff will race, but he will always be in great equipment (unlike guys like Bill Elliot and Bobby Labonte). So I would think it is safe to say that Jeff could easily win at least 10 more races before he retires. He is good enough to win 2-3 a year as long as he does not go into another slump.

But I think this year will be his best chance to win the Championship, he does seem to have the most momentum and experience of the drivers in the top 10-12 right now.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 AM

2,370 posts, read 3,058,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
...but NASCAR decided long ago to curb that action and rule-changed everything. Yes, I am kidding...sorta.
what did NASCAR do that hurt Jeff in terms of rules. (I really don't know and am not as knowledgeable so just asking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
is he not already 39 or even 40? I can't see him retiring in the next few years.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:23 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,782,629 times
He just turned 40 this year. The ONLY reason I said he may retire after 40 is from what he told us at one of his meetups. He said he'd like to get more into the business side of it and see his kids grow up. I'd love to see him race until he has to use a walker to get into his car. A 100 wins would be a nice bonus as well.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,624,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
what did NASCAR do that hurt Jeff in terms of rules. (I really don't know and am not as knowledgeable so just asking
Starting in 2004 the Chase brought about the points reset. Pre-chase points would have allowed a driver e.g. Jeff Gordon to carry a large points advantage into the final 10 races and theoretically unless he had a major string of bad luck or DNF's ( did not finish) it would have been all but impossible for him not to become champion. The old system rewarded consistency more than wins.

The Chase , I believe was a knee-jerk reaction to Matt Kenseth winning just one race and becoming 2003 Champion while other drivers had several wins

In 03
Driver Wins
Kenseth 1
Newman 8
JJ 3
Gordon 3
Kurt Busch 4

Under the old points system Jeff would have 6 Championships by now.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 PM

2,370 posts, read 3,058,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Starting in 2004 the Chase brought about the points reset. Pre-chase points would have allowed a driver e.g. Jeff Gordon to carry a large points advantage into the final 10 races and theoretically unless he had a major string of bad luck or DNF's ( did not finish) it would have been all but impossible for him not to become champion. The old system rewarded consistency more than wins.

The Chase , I believe was a knee-jerk reaction to Matt Kenseth winning just one race and becoming 2003 Champion while other drivers had several wins

In 03
Driver Wins
Kenseth 1
Newman 8
JJ 3
Gordon 3
Kurt Busch 4

Under the old points system Jeff would have 6 Championships by now.
very well said, thanks.

I had heard that about Jeff before, and I understand it now. It's really a shame. The whole chase thing was to bring more excitement into the final 10 races but the way they re-set and just give 3 pts. for a win (it was 5 previously which further dilutes the whole "race to win" thing) it's like all you really need to do is just make it b/c what's the point of accumulating a 300 point lead when it all mostly is just re-set, all that hard work over 29 races - poof.

I know JJ wouldn't have won all 4 of his championships, more like 2 of them. And I think Smoke would've won one that JJ won.

too bad.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:25 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,575,348 times
I appreciate the fact that Jeff want's to spend more time with his family. Seems like the business side of racing is just as busy though. Kevin Harvick sold his Nationwide team to RCR because he was tired of all of the phone calls and meetings. I can see Jeff taking over HMS one day...I think Jeff is like a son to Rick and Rick's health has not been the best...

Anyway, good race for Jeff at Richmond. He almost had his fourth victory, but he and his team looked strong at the end where it counts.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 PM

9,071 posts, read 15,032,649 times
JG will be racing for at least two more years, since that is the remaining length on his sponsorship deal with AARP.

Before Daytona this year, in an interview, I heard him say he planned to drive a few more years because he wants his son old enough to see him race and remember it. I doubt he will be driving at 50 like Martin, but I would not be surprised if he drives to about 45.

That said, he is not going to register a ton of wins between now and then either. Although, he is proving this year he can still get some wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing