U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,378,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
I'm sorry that you lack reading comprehension skills.
I never said F1 cars are closer to real cars. All I said was that a Nascar is no closer to an actual car than a F1 car.
Semantics.

And that statement is still grossly incorrect. Maybe you missed where I pointed out that F1 cars aren't even attempting to represent an actual car. Please explain how a car that's not trying to represent a car isn't less like an actual car than a car (NASCAR) that is intended to represent an actual car.

Never mind. You're not going to change my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 PM

529 posts, read 1,445,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Semantics.

And that statement is still grossly incorrect. Maybe you missed where I pointed out that F1 cars aren't even attempting to represent an actual car. Please explain how a car that's not trying to represent a car isn't less like an actual car than a car (NASCAR) that is intended to represent an actual car.

Never mind. You're not going to change my mind.
The statement is not grossly incorrect and I don't care if I change your mind or not.
The only thing a NASCAR and a F1 car have in common with a street car is that they all have 4 wheels and an engine. The only way a NASCAR is attempting to represent an actual car is that it has a roof and fenders. The fact that it's attempting to look like a street car doesn't make it any closer to an actual street car.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 AM

58,202 posts, read 41,077,169 times
Quote:
So a car has to have fenders before it is considered a car? I would argue that a Nascar is no closer to an actual car than an F1 car. At least technology used in F1 trickles down to actual production cars.
Actually, some of the technology common in even relatively low end production cars, traction control & ABS brakes is banned in F1. I'd like to see F1 regs open up a bit, I miss the days when we'd see V-8s, V-12s, flat 12s, even an H-16 in the same race.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:55 AM

529 posts, read 1,445,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Actually, some of the technology common in even relatively low end production cars, traction control & ABS brakes is banned in F1.
That's not always been the case. Traction control was just banned from F1 in 2008.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 AM

58,202 posts, read 41,077,169 times
Quote:
That's not always been the case. Traction control was just banned from F1 in 2008.
I know, I miss the days when innovation was encouraged in F1, it seems every year it gets closer to a spec series. I say turn 'em loose, if someone can make an engine live at 20,000 RPM, let it happen, eliminate the artificial limits. I'm not a fan of mandated engine configuration/number of cylinders. I'd actually like to see F1 go to L/Kg rule, let the designers decide whether to go small engine/less weight or more engine/more weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing