U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of auto racing do you like?
NASCAR 31 32.63%
Indy 9 9.47%
Formula 1 43 45.26%
Drag 3 3.16%
Other, feel free to comment 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:13 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,571,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
NHRA is unwatchable.
I'd agree, if we are talking about TV
But go watch it live, and it's breathtaking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 03:35 PM

3,694 posts, read 5,853,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I'd agree, if we are talking about TV
But go watch it live, and it's breathtaking
Everybody who is interested in motor racing should see the top fuel dragsters at least once.

Even if drag racing is not your thing (it isn't really mine) you will be impressed by the sights, sounds and smells.

Zero to 60 in 4.5 seconds is fast. Zero to 300+ in 4.5 seconds is mind-boggling.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 PM

6,860 posts, read 9,298,470 times
Owned a Porsche for 34 years and belonged to PCA. So had the opportunity to drive on many tracks. I like any kind of road course racing. Would like to see NASCAR at more road courses. I watch ROLEX and Continental Tire series on Speed. 'It's not just the race, it's the experience'.
F-1 very technical, very rules orientated, have to stay up late or watch re-play. Pole position usually wins. But nothing beats the in car cam and listening to an engine whinning at 16,000 RPM
Off road trucks- It's amazing the beating a truck and the suspension can take, fenders flapping and hanging. Truck rolls 3 times and if it lands on the wheels, they keep going.
Australian super V8, Can't even tell what kind of cars they are driving but it's exciting to watch. Very close racing. Another series where the cars take a beating. And there's no drive thru penalty for 'aggressive' driving.
AMA pro & MotoGP- 200 mph on a bike. Are they nuts or what?
Drag racing- stopped watching when it was reduced to only 1000 feet. Over reaction to a tragic event. Don't even know if it ever went back to 1320 Watching a 4 sec race, talk to drivers for 5 minutes, 4 minute commercial break. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Nascar- Went to races and watched for decades. Not so much anymore. All cars are exactly the same with rules the thickness of a phone book. Can't tell the difference between a Toyota and a Chevy. Where can you buy one of those 2 dr Camrys anyway? Too many and lengthy 'caution' periods and for BS reasons. Restrictor races- 43 cars within feet of each other, just waiting for 'the big one' to take out a dozen cars. Don't like some of the current TV commentators.
Monster trucks in a stadium- I don't get it.
WRC- Why none in U.S.? Does pikes peak count?
Modifieds on dirt tracks- Tracks are basically circles with cars driven sideways.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:48 PM

2,604 posts, read 2,306,153 times
I've always preferred to watch Rallycross, F1, and MotoGP over the typical oval course, left turn only junk that is popular here in America. That left turn only garbage is soooooooo boring!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 PM

Charles Zigler's favorite was NASCAR. http://media.mlive.com/citizenpatrio...6-standard.jpg

When Jr. finally took the checkered flag he stirred......but maybe it was just the decomposition gasses:
After Man’s Death, Woman Watches NASCAR with Him for 18 Months | NewsFeed | TIME.com

Last edited by karlsch; 07-16-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 06:32 PM

7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times
I've been watching the Australian V8 Touring cars and that is a pretty good substitute for my beloved TransAm. Sports cars on road courses were always my favorite, but there isn't much televised anymore. I will say that I'd like them to change the TV coverage of the Australian V8s though, and do less "pomp and circumstance" about the venue and cover the qualifying and the race better. It's not as bad as the Sam Posey bits in F1, but there is a limited amt of time for the broadcast and too much has to be cut to show the interviews and set pieces.

Also - HURRAH! - the German F1 race this weekend marks the end of F1 on Fox, it goes back to Fox-owned SPEED after that. Argh, but Fox is obnoxious with the tape delay and the annoying commercials - and I DVR the race and try to skip the commercials and it's still annoying.

A couple of years back, WRC was on one of the HD-only channels - is it still there?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM

F-1 is simply amazing, tech wonders, and the in-car camera shots look like a video game, unbelievably fast, but it's just a qualifing show, with hardly any passing during the race.....
Indy really needs to do something, get back with USAC or something, NASCAR steals thier stars
NASCAR really has become quite boring, even the last Bristol race was dull. They seem to have forgotten they have fenders...
The absolute best races for spectators, Check out your local dirt track...Sprint Cars on Dirt are awesome......and i'm not talking Sprint Cup Cars..... But real Sprint Cars check out the World of Outlaws website

Old 07-19-2012, 12:50 PM

983 posts, read 1,366,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
F-1 is simply amazing, tech wonders, and the in-car camera shots look like a video game, unbelievably fast, but it's just a qualifing show, with hardly any passing during the race.....
Indy really needs to do something, get back with USAC or something, NASCAR steals thier stars
NASCAR really has become quite boring, even the last Bristol race was dull. They seem to have forgotten they have fenders...
The absolute best races for spectators, Check out your local dirt track...Sprint Cars on Dirt are awesome......and i'm not talking Sprint Cup Cars..... But real Sprint Cars check out the World of Outlaws website
Someone hasn't seen an F1 race since 2010.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Someone hasn't seen an F1 race since 2010.
Collective...you are correct there Sir.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 AM

2.4 seconds 4 tire change pit stop @ German GP:

F1 German GP (Hockenheim) 2012 Jenson Button Pit Stop (New World Record) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing