Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of auto racing do you like?
NASCAR 31 32.63%
Indy 9 9.47%
Formula 1 43 45.26%
Drag 3 3.16%
Other, feel free to comment 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:10 PM

8,595 posts, read 14,778,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Good Stuff! So do people who can't make it at F1 come over to the US for Indy then hope to jump up to Nascar. I think if Danica leaves Indy which I think she will for sure, Indy will fall farther in the basement. I hope not but thats what I think.
Before Juan Pablo Montoya jumped from CART -> F-1 -> NASCAR, an F-1 driver wouldn't have been caught dead trying to break into stock car racing. JPM told some of his former F-1 colleagues how much fun it was and now we've seen Jacques Villeneuve, Kimi Raikkonen, and Nelson Piquet Jr. try their hands at NASCAR. Villeneuve is pretty much done, Raikkonen's trying to find a ride, and Piquet has shown some decent potential in the Camping World Truck Series.

I aree that when Danica jumps to NASCAR full-time, IndyCar's already weak ratings in the US will likely tank. She's the series' biggest American draw (which, considering her mediocre resume, is sad). There's really nobody ready to step into the void her departure will create. In the last 3 years an American has only won once (Ryan Hunter-Reay last year at Long Beach). That doesn't bode well for the series' future in its home market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,314,813 times
Quote:
Good Stuff! So do people who can't make it at F1 come over to the US for Indy then hope to jump up to Nascar.
Quite the opposite,
Former F1 champ Montoya has only one or maybe two wins in NASCAR and seldom runs in the top ten. He is a good driver but his F1 experience does not make him a better driver than the NASCAR regulars.
Former F1 winner Dario Franchitti had no success in NASCAR and lost his ride.

F1 fans think little of NASCAR because they only turn left. Yet when they run road courses it is the NASCAR regulars that win most of the races.( I give a tip of the hat to Montoya because he is a better than most road racer)

It is narrow minded people who think their favorite is the only good racing. That goes for NASCAR as well as Indy Car and F1 fans.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:21 AM

6,462 posts, read 8,134,931 times
Franchitti drove F1? I do not think so.

Räikkönen lost his Ferrari seat back in 2009. WRC is way too difficult for a 30 year old "rookie". DTM might be an option but I guess Nascar sounds more exotic.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:25 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,563,814 times
I use to be a F1 and Can-Am fan when I was a kid . For the alst ten eyars tho I found F1 became all about the cars not the rcing ;as there waswn't any really. Its impoving now that they are doig they to creat i tho. Actaully like nthe4 quailfying better than the rces still tho. Indy car loss its vartiety of cars and two tems have dominated for some years how like i F1, They have the same problem but better raing than F1 did.I never wqtched NASCAR but have become a fan now ;alest on large ovals.Road races with stock car ;you can keep and msall ovls too.I watchmore MotoGP really now days than anyhting and love the competition racing.In mnay ways the downforce and disturbed air have pretty much ruin other racing;IMO.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:36 PM

26,134 posts, read 48,779,992 times
Added a poll, should help a bit to gauge people's likes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 23,013,167 times
So to watch most F1 races here in the US they take place in the AM our time?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Franchitti drove F1? I do not think so.
You are absolutely correct. With so many open wheel drivers trying to break into NASCAR I sometimes get the names mixed up. The driver I was thinking of was Jacques Villeneuve who was an F1 driver. He is trying to make a name for himself in the Nationwide series and if yesterday's performance was any indication of how he plans on driving it is going to be rough going for a while. Nascar drivers do not like beating and banging for position especially from rookies.
Tony Stuart paid the price yesterday for too rough driving.

Franchitti is an Indy car driver and not a F1 driver. (my mistake)

Old 06-27-2011, 11:10 AM

8,875 posts, read 13,851,684 times
Yes, I agree that there is no best racing series.

I prefer Nascar and my favorite division is the Whelen Modifieds and then the Cup series.

In the 70's through 90's the Cup division was really enjoyable, but with the change to the newer generation of drivers and the homogenization of the sport via the common car, I find that the Modifieds encapsulate what I like about racing. These are the guys that find their own money, turn their own wrenches, and race for checkers rather than their contract.

I never cared for Indy car or F1. Just not my style of car.

NHRA looks and sounds cool, but again, I like ovals.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

NHRA looks and sounds cool, but again, I like ovals.
Stripes, since you are so close to ZMax raceway you should check it out just once.
There is nothing like four Top fuel of Funny cars all taking off at the same time.

I too am an oval track fan but every once and a while I go to see the pros in NHRA.

BRING EAR PLUGS

Old 06-27-2011, 05:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,671,842 times
Quote:
So after not ever really being a race fan, I kinda always liked Indy car more than Nascar. I am just learning about F1 which to me seems just like the Izod Indy Car Series but the Euro version and with longer stranger looking Indy cars. Nascar seems to move to slow and the passing and lead changes seems to move to slow. Also Indy just based on my rookie watching experience, Indy seems like it take more skill to drive than say Nascar. F1 again to me seems the same as Indy just the euro version but I don't understand why don't they race over here or merge the two to make one? Nascar just seems way to regulated with late penalties coming and the mysterious debris on the track which leads to a suspicious yellow flag. Almost wrestling like, Nascars rule changes and inspections and regulations. I have a new found love for Indy and F1 since I went to my first Indy race at The Milwaukee Mile, shame on my fellow Milwaukeeans for not showing up and now it looks like my first Indy race might be my last!

Can someone explain to me the differences between the 3 race types? I am new to racing so I don't know a lot of the inside baseball of racing. Like for instance Indy makes you move over and let someone pass you? what a bunch of crap I say. Does Nascar have a similar rule? Blocking in the pits? Dario was getting on Helio at the Mile for blocking coming out of the pits by saying "well what do you expect from Helio, that's helio for you" Other people tell me Dario is a cry baby and whines even when he wins.

Any other info on racing on all types much appreciated, such as tips for going to a race.
personally i prefer nascar because the drivers tend to be more competitive and aggressive. for instance, tell an F1 driver or an indycar driver that a particular turn is single file only, and most of them will in fact follow each other through the corner. tell a nascar driver the same corner is single file only, and they just may end up wrecking their race cars trying to prove you wrong.

as for the seeming speed differential between F1, indy, and nascar, while it is there, full bodied race cars seem slower mostly due to the sheer size of the cars. remember that an F1 car or an indy car weighs in at about 1500lbs where as a sprint cup car weighs in at 3500lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
In order to make an informed decision over which type of racing you prefer you have to actually attend a few of each type of racing. Watching on TV does not give the real experience that only watching in person can give.

I have been to all types of racing from NASCAR, Indy car, Grand AM, dirt modifieds, NHRA drag racing National events and I like them all but I prefer NASCAR not because I think it's better but becauseI like it better.
I don't dislike any event that I have never attended, how can you dislike something you have never seen?
Go to some races and make the decision for yourself.

Here is one tip go to a drag race where top fuel or funny car are racing and watch from the starting line. It will be the loudest sound you will ever hear and actually shakes the ground where you are standing.
well said pdd. as for where to stand when top fuel dragsters or funny cars are running, the 1000ft make is even more impressive than the starting line, because these cars are at full song running side by side and pounding the pavement hard.

when it comes to racing, the only forms i dont like are figure 8 and demolition derby. other than that anything goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing