Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:55 AM

50 posts, read 81,865 times

Advertisements

I tried a similar thread in one of the city forums, but thought this might be a better place. I'll be relocating soon and I'm still undecided on where, but have narrowed it down to Atlanta, Kansas City, and Dallas.

The reason I call it a mindset is because not only do I live/breathe the sport, but I'm tired of explaining to people that it's more than just "cars going around in circles". For many of us, it's a religion that only somebody that's been to a live race can relate to. The smells, sounds, camraderie, not having to explain the reason for having 200+ tattoos (since many fans have em). And some of the best people I've known in life were men and women I met at the races: simple, unsophisticated, and friendly.

I'm a simple guy, work in the trades, somewhat necky, and stuck in a city that I got talked into movin to several years ago and it was the biggest mistake of my life. Help me escape! If you were trapped on the proverbial desert island dreaming of Talladega, where would your dreams take you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:17 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Sounds like you need to move to Charlotte NC.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Sounds like you need to move to Charlotte NC.
Definitely you need to move to NC.
I am 90 miles, to CMS, 90 miles to Darlington, 120 miles to Martinsville and 15 miles to Rockingham. I can't think of a better location for a NASCAR fan who goes to the track than Moore County. NC.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
I'll 3rd that. From NC you are literally a weekend trip from half the tracks on the NASCAR circuit; Atlanta, Charlotte, Darlington, Martinsville, Bristol, Daytona, Talladega, Richmond, Dover, Homestead, Watkins Glen, Pocono, etc. Additionally if you relocate near Charlotte you will be near the home of most NASCAR teams.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
So I'll 4th that. NC is racing country!! It's alive and well here. Front page news in the local papers, on the TV news and radio. Don't be suprised if you run into some of the drivers out and about in town and at restaurants!!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Sorry but the only part of the country I think bleeds NASCAR is Charlotte NC. Possibly parts of Southern VA (with Bristol and Martinsville) have lots of NASCAR fanatics, but Charlotte bleeds NASCAR 24/7.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:09 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Sorry but the only part of the country I think bleeds NASCAR is Charlotte NC. Possibly parts of Southern VA (with Bristol and Martinsville) have lots of NASCAR fanatics, but Charlotte bleeds NASCAR 24/7.
Charlotte area is the place to be for yah!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Technically, the NASCAR scene is centered a little farther north than Charlotte. Even CMS is in Concord, NC, not Charlotte. Most of the teams are centered around Concord, Mooresville, Cornelius, etc. Charlotte gets the attention because it's recognizable, whereas the other cities are not.

The NASCAR Hall of Fame is in downtown Charlotte. I'm surprised that there was ever another city in serious contention for it.

I've been in Charlotte since '78, and am definitely a NASCAR fan. Just today I ran some laps at CMS for a Laps For Life charity event.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:05 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
I don't think the OP wants to live in the city. Wants to be close to all things NASCAR but does not sound like a city slicker. I love NASCAR but no way do I want to live in Charlotte. I want to drive to the track without having to drive the interstate. I make the exception for Martinsville.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:32 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't think the OP wants to live in the city. Wants to be close to all things NASCAR but does not sound like a city slicker. I love NASCAR but no way do I want to live in Charlotte. I want to drive to the track without having to drive the interstate. I make the exception for Martinsville.
Agreed! And there are many small towns near Charlotte. I would not think of living in Charlotte myself--to big for us but we live within an hour drive and still enjoy the country. Lots of country in NC!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing