Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times

Advertisements

Good article

NASCAR - Ken Squier still worth listening to for NASCAR - ESPN

"Squier has never subscribed to the notion that race fans come to see death and injury -- they come to see the narrow avoidance. A voracious reader, he cites a character of author Tom Robbins, "who said nobody wanted to see him fall off the mountain but everybody wanted to see him put his toes over the edge. We're intrigued by those who take risks that we would rather not take ourselves."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 08:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
OK I agree, take off the restrictor plates and let's go racing boys. Build stronger catch fences if you have to but let the racers race.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Why do alot of people "get it" except the leadership of the sport? KS got this absolutely correct in the article and I refuse to watch prerace because of it:

Prerace hype is fine -- "It's marvelous to have the buildup. But you didn't need any g------ music when Karl Wallenda stepped out on that rope.

"You can have bands and do all that. But when they call 'em to the line, all the sideshow has got to go away … stop the foolishness when you really get down to what the product is.

"And the product is serious stuff. It doesn't need rock 'n' roll."

Old 09-30-2011, 11:19 AM
PDD

I agree pre race is crap. It should be like the NFL come on the air right after coin flip/ engines have started and the pace laps begin. This should be enough time to announce the line up.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Why do alot of people "get it" except the leadership of the sport? COLOR][/color][/i]
Because NASCAR leadership has become like our government. They claim to care about the people (fans), but the special interests (sponsors) have so much influence that everything has become a coordinated dog and pony show designed to get as much money as they can from the people they claim to care about.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Attempting to liven up the dangerous aspect of the sport would be adding more hype. You can talk all you want about the dangers of driving straight toward a wall then turning left at the last second, but when a driver takes a tumble down a straight that shreds his car or drives near head-on into a wall and walks away the fans will catch onto it and realize, like Horatio Caine, nothing really bad will happen to them.

As far a restrictor plates go; the cars are too unstable for the speeds they would reach, the tires probably wouldn't hold up, and there is only one cup regular who has raced pre-restrictor races. Additionally plate races consist of only 4 races.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:08 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post

As far a restrictor plates go; the cars are too unstable for the speeds they would reach, the tires probably wouldn't hold up, and there is only one cup regular who has raced pre-restrictor races. Additionally plate races consist of only 4 races.
I disagree, the cars run unrestricted at Atlanta and other high speed tracks and it is the drivers who keep the speeds down by backing off because they know the corner speed limits of the cars. This would be the same at Daytona and Talladega, the drivers would have to back off. The benefit would be power to pass and not having to run tandem.

I know the GM fans don't like to hear about Bill Elliott running 210+ in a Ford or lapping the field twice under green in a Ford but come on, now that everybody is running canted valve heads (like the Fords) there is no reason to keep the restrictors.( lets face it that was the real reason for restrictors in the first place)

Old 10-01-2011, 08:35 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
^^According to someone who knows what they're talking about...

"I'll bet we could be running speeds up to 235 without the plates if we spent time doing some tweaking. But I'll tell you this—there's no way we could be out there racing at those speeds. It was neat to be out there running that fast by myself, but it would be insane to think we could have a pack of cars out there doing that."

...said Rusty Wallace after hitting 228 at the end of the straightaway with a lap speed of 216 at Talladega.

Wallace's speed far exceeded the official track qualifying record of 212.809 mph (44.998 seconds), set by Bill Elliott on April 30, 1987.

In a Dodge

NASCAR: rusty wallace hits 228 mph at talladega, page 1

Old 10-01-2011, 09:02 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
^^According to someone who knows what they're talking about...

"I'll bet we could be running speeds up to 235 without the plates if we spent time doing some tweaking. But I'll tell you this—there's no way we could be out there racing at those speeds. It was neat to be out there running that fast by myself, but it would be insane to think we could have a pack of cars out there doing that."

...said Rusty Wallace after hitting 228 at the end of the straightaway with a lap speed of 216 at Talladega.

Wallace's speed far exceeded the official track qualifying record of 212.809 mph (44.998 seconds), set by Bill Elliott on April 30, 1987.

In a Dodge

NASCAR: rusty wallace hits 228 mph at talladega, page 1
Yes a Dodge with canted valve heads. Just like the Fords had back in 1969
I'll bet they can't run 216 with a 4.50 gear.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:40 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I disagree, the cars run unrestricted at Atlanta and other high speed tracks and it is the drivers who keep the speeds down by backing off because they know the corner speed limits of the cars. This would be the same at Daytona and Talladega, the drivers would have to back off. The benefit would be power to pass and not having to run tandem.

I know the GM fans don't like to hear about Bill Elliott running 210+ in a Ford or lapping the field twice under green in a Ford but come on, now that everybody is running canted valve heads (like the Fords) there is no reason to keep the restrictors.( lets face it that was the real reason for restrictors in the first place)
Comparitively speaking to the banking at Daytona & Talladega the other tracks may as well be flat, hence the reason the drivers let off, and that's not always a given.
It would be a matter of time before someone figured out a way to flat-foot or nearly flat-foot it all the way around those tracks after the plates were taken off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing