Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,893 times

Advertisements

Six-race suspension of crew chief Knaus overturned - San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/Six-race-suspension-of-crew-chief-Knaus-overturned-3421483.php - broken link)

NASCAR's chief appellate officer overturned on Tuesday the bulk of the penalties levied against five-time championship winning crew chief Chad Knaus, who still must pay a $100,000 fine because Jimmie Johnson's car failed the opening day inspection of the Daytona 500.

Chief appellate officer John Middlebrook overturned the six-race suspensions NASCAR handed down to Knaus and car chief Ron Malec, and ruled both instead will be on probation through May 9.

Middlebrook also reinstated the 25 points that Johnson had been docked. The decision moves Johnson to 11th in the Sprint Cup standings heading into Sunday's race at California.

Read more: Six-race suspension of crew chief Knaus overturned - San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/Six-race-suspension-of-crew-chief-Knaus-overturned-3421483.php#ixzz1ph9gG5y1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I guess according to Former GM exec. the punishment didn't fit the crime.
Knaus still guilty of cheating but not worthy of a 25 championship points deduction.

I only hope if Jack Roush gets caught cheating that Edsel Ford gets to make the final call.

Disgruntled former NASCAR ticket buyer.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I'm with you there PDD--disgusted! Money talks. And they wonder why their fan base is dwindling....errrr, go figure!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,079,742 times
Don't be too surprised if Middlebrook is sitting beside Hendrick at the next Barrett Jackson.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Actually they (Middlebrook & Hendrick) are probably out fishing as we speak Patsfan20! They are pretty tight. Guess NASCAR doesn't have Middlebrook in their back pocket or they would have won their case! This is politics at it's finest!
I am more then put out with this---grrrrrrrr.....

Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
I'm 100% in favor of a reduction in penalties in this case.

How in the name of Sam Hill can you assess such a severe penalty on a car that had not been to inspection, had not been on the track, nor was presented in any way to the Nascar officials? Apparently they eye-balled the car in the line for inspection. They didn't even take a template or anything to it.

They should have let the car reach inspection before they assessed anything. Then they would have had a leg to stand on.

(And no I am not biased for that team... I am NOT a #48 fan by any stretch of the imagination.)

Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

How in the name of Sam Hill can you assess such a severe penalty on a car that had not been to inspection, had not been on the track, nor was presented in any way to the Nascar officials? Apparently they eye-balled the car in the line for inspection. They didn't even take a template or anything to it.

They should have let the car reach inspection before they assessed anything. Then they would have had a leg to stand on.

(And no I am not biased for that team... I am NOT a #48 fan by any stretch of the imagination.)
Agreed.
At least one objective opinion here.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

The fact that he let the 100K penalty stand along with a probation period means there was a guilty party. Guilty of what I don't really know?
If Hendrick was correct and the car was legal for the past four races than there should be no penalties at all.

You can't be partly guilty of something, you either are or your not guilty.

This guys ruling is beyond common sense.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,079,742 times
NASCAR didn't appreciate 'Ol Chad telling JJ to "crack the back" of the car if they happen to win @ Tega last year. They have an eye on them, and believe that is why Darby is being a bit tight on that team. Can't wait to hear JJ's intro @ Martinsville, his boos may even be louder than my boy Shrubby!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfw&p View Post
agreed.
At least one objective opinion here.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing