Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I really can't understand why people are shocked when a reporter gets an inappropiate comment after shoving the mic in a driver's face who has been taken out of the race.
Kurt is a professional making millions driving stock cars. Kurt knows that being in the spotlight, speaking with the press, and being a representative of his team, his sponsors, and his sport are part of the deal.

Maybe people can't understand with all that, why Kurt cannot act like the professional he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM

689 posts, read 2,058,321 times
I read today that James Finch said Busch has wrecked 14 cars so far this season, and at least three were beyond repair. I recall that Sam Hornish wrecked a lot when he was in Cup. Also Brian Vickers. Are there statistics on that - most wrecks per year, etc?

Same article says David Reutimann will drive the 51 at Pocono.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
This season

In-Race “Crash” Leaders – Through 13 Of 36 Events

Kurt Busch – 5
Carl Edwards – 5
Tony Stewart – 5
Marcos Ambrose – 4
Dave Blaney – 4
Casey Mears – 4
Juan Pablo Montoya – 4 (includes Daytona jet dryer incident)
Ryan Newman – 4
Regan Smith – 4
A.J. Allmendinger – 3
Aric Almirola – 3
Kyle Busch – 3
Jeff Gordon – 3
Brad Keselowski – 3
Joey Logano – 3
Jamie McMurray – 3
Accident-Free In 2012: Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Matt Kenseth, Jeff Burton, Mark Martin

http://www.frontstretch.com/tbowles/39668/

Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 AM

689 posts, read 2,058,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
This season

In-Race “Crash” Leaders – Through 13 Of 36 Events

Kurt Busch – 5
Carl Edwards – 5
Tony Stewart – 5
Marcos Ambrose – 4
Dave Blaney – 4
Casey Mears – 4
Juan Pablo Montoya – 4 (includes Daytona jet dryer incident)
Ryan Newman – 4
Regan Smith – 4
A.J. Allmendinger – 3
Aric Almirola – 3
Kyle Busch – 3
Jeff Gordon – 3
Brad Keselowski – 3
Joey Logano – 3
Jamie McMurray – 3
Accident-Free In 2012: Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Matt Kenseth, Jeff Burton, Mark Martin

Thanks. I guess Finch must have been talking about all his wrecks, including practice and qualifying.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:31 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
Thanks. I guess Finch must have been talking about all his wrecks, including practice and qualifying.
I read the same interview and I believe he is talking about all practice, qualifying and race sessions too.

That being said, Finch's name and his cars were not even mentioned on the broadcasts (except for their lucky runs at plate tracks). I think he's got to be enjoying his 15 minutes of fame this year with a driver that gets talked about (be it good or bad).

Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
This season[b]

Dammit, you just jinxed 'em!!!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
About the reporter:

Hornaday's opinion;
“Bob asks some stupid questions sometimes. But it’s Bob Pockrass and you’ve got to take it for granted."

Stewart's take;
Not to be outdone, another media darling, Tony Stewart, just had to go spouting off when asked about the situation on a special edition of Tony Stewart Live.

“I’ll be honest, I liked (Busch’s) answer,” Stewart said. “I kind of thought it was good when it pertains to Bob Pockrass. Bob’s a decent guy. But there’s just so many good things to write about in our sport. There’s a couple of reporters that strictly want to be tabloid journalists. Unfortunately, he’s one of them. Sad but true: Kurt is right, Bob Pockrass is probably the biggest mixer in the whole media center. Everytime he interviews somebody, it is strictly about something controversial."

Old 06-08-2012, 03:34 PM

468 posts, read 827,033 times
Quote:
About the reporter:

Stewart's take;
Not to be outdone, another media darling, Tony Stewart, just had to go spouting off when asked about the situation on a special edition of Tony Stewart Live.

“I’ll be honest, I liked (Busch’s) answer,” Stewart said. “I kind of thought it was good when it pertains to Bob Pockrass. Bob’s a decent guy. But there’s just so many good things to write about in our sport. There’s a couple of reporters that strictly want to be tabloid journalists. Unfortunately, he’s one of them. Sad but true: Kurt is right, Bob Pockrass is probably the biggest mixer in the whole media center. Everytime he interviews somebody, it is strictly about something controversial."

It's not just when it is controversial. When a reporter asks Tony something about racing or the team, he gets snarky that way too depending on his mood.

I'm starting to believe that both Tony and Kurt need to be on medication.

What ever became of "no-comment", or "I am not going to answer that question."

Their smart-ass replies and attitude is boring.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Group A says NASCAR drivers are boring, programmed, lack emotion, and are too politically correct.
Group B says NASCAR drivers shouldn't speak off the cuff, should be professional and courteous at all times regardless of the circumstance.

I kind of feel their pain, try to put myself in their shoes. My job involves working with the dumb and uninspired; while they are usually nice for the most part, after a while the totality of their snarky comments & ignorant ass(umptions) get the best of you.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:06 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times
I like both Tony and Kurt especially Tony..he'll tell it like it is. Like earlier this year when he had the race in the bag and had to explain "yeah they threw a caution for a water bottle way out of the racing groove", Kyle ended up winning that one.

Gordon, Stewart, Kurt, Kyle and a half dozen others with all their money ought to go start their own racing series and tell NASCAR to shove it. Let them race, fight, put each other in the wall, 2 second delay on live broadcast and if you don't like what your hearing on in- race crew to car communications, click the remote or mouse and watch the Golf Channel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing