Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times

Advertisements

I've been a huge NASCAR fan for a long time now. Up until this year I haven't considered open-wheel racing to be a legitimate threat to NASCAR's popularity (especially not since the CART/IndyCar split), but I honestly IndyCar on an uptick and NASCAR poised for a huge slide.

Sprint Cup races have been duller and more anti-climactic than usual this year, and this year's Indy 500 was vastly better than both the Daytona 500 and the Coke 600. It set a new record for lead changes, and there were 3 of them in the final 10 laps. The Coke 600 wasn't even close. Kasey Kahne could've coasted from the entrance of pit road to the checkered flag.

I'm honestly to the point where I feel like I'm wasting time watching NASCAR racing. It's gotten extremely boring.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:18 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Then stop watching NASCAR and watch Indy, the sooner you do this the sooner you'll realize how ludicrious your one race comparison is and how lopsided Indy car racing can be.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Then stop watching NASCAR and watch Indy, the sooner you do this the sooner you'll realize how ludicrious your one race comparison is and how lopsided Indy car racing can be.
NASCAR hasn't had a single lead change in the last 10 laps this year with the exception of the GWC at Talladega. Sorry but this season has been an effing joke and I'm really sick of hearing all the excuses.

The combination of hard tires, the COT chassis, and NASCAR's obsession with aero has turned the racing to crap.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
NASCAR hasn't had a single lead change in the last 10 laps this year with the exception of the GWC at Talladega. Sorry but this season has been an effing joke and I'm really sick of hearing all the excuses.

The combination of hard tires, the COT chassis, and NASCAR's obsession with aero has turned the racing to crap.
The racing has always been this way, but I would much rather see this than the racing in the "good ol' days" where it was not uncommon to see the winner lap the field or have a double-digit lead on 2nd place.
If NASCAR fans are one thing, it's delusional; they seem to have this perception that stock car racing is all door-to-door-passing-every-lap. The underdogs have been more competitive last & this year than I can ever recall.
I can say this with 100% conviction; I would never want to be on the NASCAR board, they get chastised for for creating parity because whiners whining about not enough passing then chastised because the cars look the same. Not enough money on the planet.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:48 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I've been a huge NASCAR fan for a long time now. Up until this year I haven't considered open-wheel racing to be a legitimate threat to NASCAR's popularity (especially not since the CART/IndyCar split), but I honestly IndyCar on an uptick and NASCAR poised for a huge slide.

Sprint Cup races have been duller and more anti-climactic than usual this year, and this year's Indy 500 was vastly better than both the Daytona 500 and the Coke 600. It set a new record for lead changes, and there were 3 of them in the final 10 laps. The Coke 600 wasn't even close. Kasey Kahne could've coasted from the entrance of pit road to the checkered flag.

I'm honestly to the point where I feel like I'm wasting time watching NASCAR racing. It's gotten extremely boring.
You probably should stop watching NASCAR, this way we don't have to read your posts complaining about the races.

BTW it took Casey Kane almost 500 miles to get past Biffell and then drive away because Biffell lost the handle. Perhaps you should contact Jack Roush and tell him how to keep up with the track.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You probably should stop watching NASCAR, this way we don't have to read your posts complaining about the races.

BTW it took Casey Kane almost 500 miles to get past Biffell and then drive away because Biffell lost the handle. Perhaps you should contact Jack Roush and tell him how to keep up with the track.
I was in a discussion with a friend on FB on the very same matter the OP is whining about. Most races at Charlotte that I can recall have run away finishes. The last final lap duel I can recall (at Charlotte) is when #48(?) ran down #18 (B. Labonte) passing him out of turn 4, sucked for Bobby but a hell of a drive for JJ.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
i agree with some of the others, if you dont like nascar then stop watching it. while i still watch the indy 500, it has no where near the pageantry that it once had. in the old days at indy, they would put 75,000 people in the stands just to watch practice. they also had 3 weekends of qualifying, not just one, and bump day was usually quite fun to watch. also back in the day, there were a multitude of engine and chassis manufacturers, now there are two engine manufacturers, and the chassis's all seem the same now.

and while nascar is cureently using a spec body, that is going to change in 2013 somewhat. it will be easier to spot the manufacturers cars.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
I certainly do not think NASCAR has been boring this year... if you think NASCAR is boring, wait till you see the Indy cars in Texas with teammates running 1-2 and no one can pass for 100 laps.. then come back and complain about NASCAR..

Old 05-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree with some of the others, if you dont like nascar then stop watching it. while i still watch the indy 500, it has no where near the pageantry that it once had. in the old days at indy, they would put 75,000 people in the stands just to watch practice. they also had 3 weekends of qualifying, not just one, and bump day was usually quite fun to watch. also back in the day, there were a multitude of engine and chassis manufacturers, now there are two engine manufacturers, and the chassis's all seem the same now.

and while nascar is cureently using a spec body, that is going to change in 2013 somewhat. it will be easier to spot the manufacturers cars.
I noticed that while watching the result rundown.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM

I love it. If NASCAR thought everything were sunshine and lollipops they wouldn't be investigating the competition level of the sport. Just because there are more cars on the lead lap now doesn't mean the racing is automatically better than it was in the 60s and 70s.

It's a proven fact the leader has a tremendous aerodynamic advantage at damn near every track not named Daytona or Talladega. You don't necessarily have to have the fastest car, you just have to be out front at the end because unless your car's handling is way off (or there's a gimmicky Green-White-Checker finish with an equally gimmicky double-file restart) 2nd place isn't getting by you.

For the record I don't want cautions, whether they're crash-induced or the lovely phantom debris caution NASCAR's come to be known for. I also don't want to watch a race where nobody can pass the leader. I can watch F-1 for that.

NASCAR needs to cut the downforce of the cars and get Goodyear to soften the tires up a bit. Make the handling go away instead of making them easy enough for a trained monkey to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing