Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 PM

468 posts, read 826,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You said it best. I just don't understand why people who don't like a certain sport insist on commenting about that sport. Seems like a waste of words to me.
If people are ignorant then they should just keep quiet.

It's because they are friggin trolls and are better off being ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
Like I said I dont get it. Im not into cars but never played football but can follow the game. Nascar hard to watch and dont really understand the point system. Haters gonna hate slaters gonna slate
You can follow a game such as football with it's plethora of rules, but can't follow a group of cars going in a circle.
Oh, NASCAR.com to get info on the points system.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:58 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
Like I said I dont get it. Im not into cars but never played football but can follow the game. Nascar hard to watch and dont really understand the point system. Haters gonna hate slaters gonna slate
Now that's a new one on me.

According to Google, it has something to do with either:
1 - a red-headed professional wrestler
2 - a guy on a show called Saved By The Bell
3 - Justin Beiber

Not sure what any of those have to do with NASCAR

Old 07-31-2012, 09:26 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Anyhow, being a NASCAR fan for over 25 years and my husband a fan and connected years ago for over 55 years to NASCAR, with family still involved in NASCAR this poor turnout does have us a bit concerned. Money is most definately an issue with many people. But just my feelings personally have done some changing regarding the races---it takes time to adjust to new ways and maybe that is all it is. Lots of us old die-hard fans are getting older and fewer so now it's up to the new fans and NASCAR to get it right. My husband and many of his good old friends from back in the day will never turn their backs on NASCAR and watching the races--even if it is only from their living rooms!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
If you look at NASCAR history Hendrick is one of the newer teams compared to Childress, Petty, Wood Bros. yet none of them are performing at the same level as Hendrick. Childress is a seven time Championship owner and he rarely beats Hendrick
Toyota is the newest manufacturer in Cup and Gibbs and Waltrip racing are out performing the older teams simply because they are outspending the others.
Roush put five cars in the Chase a few years back but he is lacking behind Hendrick in performance.
I don't expect my favorite to win every race but they are getting beat almost every week by newer teams who I suspect are just outspending them.

Lets face it there are only 20 teams every week that have a chance to win and of those 20 you can usually pick the 10 where the winner will come from.

Penske dominated Indy for years and I suspect the same thing from Hendrick in NASCAR and it must be because of $$$$$$$$.

We have salary caps in baseball and football to even out the competition, how about spending caps in NASCAR.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:34 PM

Amen! It's pretty bad when money can out-buy raw talent! This has been a growing problem for years now--come on--look at the money involved in NASCAR---really? What happend to the blood, sweat and tears??

Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Amen! It's pretty bad when money can out-buy raw talent! This has been a growing problem for years now--come on--look at the money involved in NASCAR---really? What happend to the blood, sweat and tears??
That all changed when Richard Petty brought big time sposorship into NASCAR. The biggest pitfall of parity is the cost of R&D is driven up exponentially.

On a side note I have talked with many NASCAR fans around who gripe, preach the gloom & doom, and then I discover they rarely attended a race.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post

On a side note I have talked with many NASCAR fans around who gripe, preach the gloom & doom, and then I discover they rarely attended a race.
The same goes for the people who come on the internet and hate NASCAR, probably never been to a race.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:42 AM

So true! To go to a NASCAR race is so exciting--at least for us nuts that enjoy watching all that power--hearing that power and then seeing that power put into action by a driver that has a special talent to use the air (a speciality for Dale Earnhards Sr) to get around the cars to win races! And of course a well tuned pit crew and a good crew chief. And let's not forget the car itself--we use to have our favorites although they are basically different now by name only but still is a big part of car racing The whole package. Oh yeah it looks like anyone can do it but some of these haters ought to try it especially at the speeds those guys drive it--but please do it where no one else is near so you don't kill anyone! . The racing, the skills, the cars--I love all of that. What I don't like are things we have all mentioned before--changes are hard for me but it doesn't mean I don't still love a good car race and a well built race car!! Since we have been to more races then I could even start to tell today I can enjoy watching a good race on the TV and still feel the excitement--maybe not to the same extent as if we were at the race but it's still exciting! If I didn't have to listen to the announcers I sure could enjoy it more though! Ha!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 08-02-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 AM

And we need to remember--we have no idea who it is posting-----who they are and what they do or even know. So I am constantly reminding people--it's all just opinions--each to his/her own. No one has to like what I like and I take most comments that are just plain dumb with a grain of salt and am probably happier I don't know that person! But I will admit there have been some posters who have given me a different perspective and I have grown to respect them and their thinking. Well, a few--and they are regulars not the fly by nights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing