Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite NASCAR Driver?
Dale Earnhardt Sr. 18 12.08%
Dale Earnhardt Jr. 12 8.05%
Jeff Gordon 27 18.12%
Dale Jarrett 3 2.01%
Jimmie Johnson 10 6.71%
Kasey Kahne 4 2.68%
Matt Kenseth 5 3.36%
Richard Petty 7 4.70%
Tony Stewart 21 14.09%
Other 42 28.19%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 31,407 times

Advertisements

kurt busch, dale jr, kasey kahne, clint bowyer, harvick, newman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:42 PM

11 posts, read 39,651 times
I am a Dale Sr. fan (R I P) ,I drive just like him on the highway... Dale Sr. is NOT afraid to put dents on his car for 500 miles..

Old 04-25-2008, 01:20 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,878 times
I've been a fan since the late 1950's. I got to see Lee Petty, Junior Johnson, Curtis Turner, Banjo Matthews, Jimmy and Speedy Thompson and the great Tiny Lund race among others.

My dad and I went to Darlington as a kid with the Thompson Brothers. This was when the Firecracker race was for convertibles in 1957. My dad, Speedy and I rode in Jimmy's 1956 Chevy racecar that had the top had cut off. We were pulling Speedy's 1957 Chevy convertible behind. Jimmy's car had no passenger seat or back seat but it had a roll cage. They drove or pulled the racecars to the race in those days. There were no car haulers. Daddy, Speedy and I sat on the floorpan and held on to the bars.

Somewhere around Ruby SC we hit a big thunderstorm. It was raining so hard you couldn't see. Jimmy pulled into somebody's driveway and up under a carport beside the house. We sat there and finally the rain slowed to a drizzle. Just as Jimmy started the car (which had mufflers for the road) the door opened and a little white haired lady came out with a shotgun at the ready. Speedy and Jimmy ended up giving her their autographs and a couple of pit passes.

When we got to Darlington the guys from Speedy's shop were already there. They pulled the carws in and got them race ready in just a few hours. Back then cars had to be factrory produced cars and all parts used had to be available over the counter.

************So back to the topic

My favorite of all time would be Fred Lorenzen. He was better than Dale Sr (my #2) and "The King" in his prime (my #3)

Today...Not many I like really.
*Kenseth is very talented but he hasn't really got it down yet.
*J. Gordon is talented but he's off and on.

The last "great" ones were Alan Kulwicki and Davie Allison. Kulwicki would have been a dominating driver if he had lived. Allison was just starting to blossom as a driver-tragic!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM

11 posts, read 39,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post
I've been a fan since the late 1950's. I got to see Lee Petty, Junior Johnson, Curtis Turner, Banjo Matthews, Jimmy and Speedy Thompson and the great Tiny Lund race among others.

My dad and I went to Darlington as a kid with the Thompson Brothers. This was when the Firecracker race was for convertibles in 1957. My dad, Speedy and I rode in Jimmy's 1956 Chevy racecar that had the top had cut off. We were pulling Speedy's 1957 Chevy convertible behind. Jimmy's car had no passenger seat or back seat but it had a roll cage. They drove or pulled the racecars to the race in those days. There were no car haulers. Daddy, Speedy and I sat on the floorpan and held on to the bars.

Somewhere around Ruby SC we hit a big thunderstorm. It was raining so hard you couldn't see. Jimmy pulled into somebody's driveway and up under a carport beside the house. We sat there and finally the rain slowed to a drizzle. Just as Jimmy started the car (which had mufflers for the road) the door opened and a little white haired lady came out with a shotgun at the ready. Speedy and Jimmy ended up giving her their autographs and a couple of pit passes.

When we got to Darlington the guys from Speedy's shop were already there. They pulled the carws in and got them race ready in just a few hours. Back then cars had to be factrory produced cars and all parts used had to be available over the counter.

My favorite of all time would be Fred Lorenzen. He was better than Dale Sr (my #2) and "The King" in his prime (my #3)

The last "great" ones were Alan Kulwicki and Davie Allison. Kulwicki would have been a dominating driver if he had lived. Allison was just starting to blossom as a driver-tragic!
The legends and the late great drivers will always be awesome, unlike todays drivers who cry when they get one piece of dirt on their hands...

Old 04-26-2008, 02:44 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,430 times
rusty wallace was my favorite diver. i don't watch anymore since he retired

Old 04-26-2008, 10:45 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
All time favorite, The King Richard Petty, now I like Jr., Stewart, Michael Waltrip and kevin Harvick, i like a lot of other drivers but those are my picks, Best Person goes to Kyle Petty, i feel he is one heck of a good person.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Old School: Curtis Turner

New School: Tony Stewart

Old 04-28-2008, 04:02 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,215 times
Old School.. Buddy Baker and for a short time...Marty Robbins. Today I like Johnny Benson in the trucks and I don't have a favorite in the Cup.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:04 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,215 times
And I forgot..BP. Benny Parsons.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:27 AM

125 posts, read 426,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Minor View Post

I saw in this that you liked Junior Johnson. I saw him in Talladega this past weekend. I got his autograph and I bought a bottle of some of his Carolina Moonshine! It is good! ..mm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing