Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/nat...-racial-remark

Quote:
A source told ESPN.com's David Newton on Wednesday that Clements was banned for using a racial slur while talking to a reporter. NASCAR officials wouldn't offer specifics on what Clements said, only that it was an "intolerable and insensitive remark" that violated the sanctioning body's Code of Conduct for actions detrimental to stock car racing.
I don't think the punishment fit the crime in this case. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Jeremy Clements explains suspension for using 'racial' remark - ESPN

I don't think the punishment fit the crime in this case. Your thoughts?
AB, how do you feel about the words he said and have you ever used them?

Supposedly he was describing Johanna Long's car and used the term '_ _ _ _ _ _ rigged'.

I personally think the punishment is waaaay over the top.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

Supposedly he was describing Johanna Long's car and used the term '_ _ _ _ _ _ rigged'.

He just should have said it was Red Neck rigged, which is an acceptable way of fixin stuff. It's the same method but without the racial slur.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
It doesn't fit the crime. Kurt Busch threatens to punch Bob Pockrass and gets suspended for a week. Jeremy Clements uses an offensive colloquialism in an off-the-cuff remark and he's suspended indefinitely. Granted Clements should've know better than to say it, but fine him and be done with it.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
He got suspended because he exposed an attitude that's probably wide spread in the garage. Nascar is trying desperately to get new people in the stands and that old attitude isn't going to help. That weekend Nascar ramped up the diversity project and then this guys says that? Yeah, not going to go over well. I'm sure once the spotlight of Daytona is over they'll quietly let him back in.

Anyway, he got what he deserved.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

I think it was plain ignorant, especially with NASCAR trying like hell to attract African-Americans to the sport. I don't use the word myself because I see no need for it. However the act in my opinion does not merit this type of punishment. Guys taking out each other on purpose don't even get suspended until their like 10th offense. I think a punishment is proper for Clements but I think a sufficient punishment could be had without suspending the kid.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:20 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
a bunch of blacks aren't going to be watching NASCAR now because they did this, they won't be watching in the future either, no matter what NASCAR does.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its a turkey shoot and archie bunker is the only target.
civil rights was supposed to be for everybody not the property of AA.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
It would be one thing if Ms. Long was black, but she isn't.

Hopefully the "indefinite" suspension only lasts one week, which would be about right.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:19 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
a bunch of blacks aren't going to be watching NASCAR now because they did this, they won't be watching in the future either, no matter what NASCAR does.
I don't think thats the point. I agree with the suspension but it should be BRIEF. I don't think he was trying to insult anyone, he was just talking without thinking which we all do.

One of the most aggravating things about NASCAR interviews is they are 95% commercials and only 5% meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing