Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 AM

6,462 posts, read 8,129,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Racing tires(slicks) degrade much faster than a road tire. These tires are designed to give the cars maximum performance which come at a cost, degradation. The only way around this is with a harder compound tire, which they have.
I think most of us are familiar with racing tyres and Formula 1. What some of us criticized was the extreme tyre degradation, as we have seen in 2012 and 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,568,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I think most of us are familiar with racing tyres and Formula 1. What some of us criticized was the extreme tyre degradation, as we have seen in 2012 and 2013.
Thats always a problem with the Super Softs. It's the softest of the four compounds. I'm actually surprised they brought the Super Softs considering the turns but I suspect, they expected more rain when the decision was made.

Pirelli is also new to the game. Will take a few seasons to optimize their tires.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM

983 posts, read 1,626,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Thats always a problem with the Super Softs. It's the softest of the four compounds. I'm actually surprised they brought the Super Softs considering the turns but I suspect, they expected more rain when the decision was made.

Pirelli is also new to the game. Will take a few seasons to optimize their tires.
I don't mind they go away fast, but I do mind that it never seems to be at the same rate. Some drivers managed 8-10 laps with decent pace on the supersofts, and then you have Sutil who saw them go away after, what? a lap and a half?

It is absolutely ridiculous. And obviously, drivers can't really push with these tyres, it becomes a preservation exercise instead of a race. I really liked that last few 2012 races when the compounds were more predictable. The US GP was amazing for instance.

Last edited by Collective; 03-19-2013 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I don't mind they go away fast, but I do mind that it never seems to be at the same rate. Some drivers managed 8-10 laps with decent pace on the supersofts, and then you have Sutil who saw them go away after, what? a lap and a half?

It is absolutely ridiculous. And obviously, drivers can't really push with these tyres, it becomes a preservation exercise instead of a race. I really liked that last few 2012 races when the compounds were more predictable. The US GP was amazing for instance.
I agree.

The chassis is the biggest factor. The Lotus seems to look after tyres better than the others this year.
I expected Sutil to get those last 11 laps with them and be quickest in the last part of the race though. I was surprised they went off so quick.

I think Pirelli screwed up with them to be honest.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,746,724 times
Considering it wasn't even hot and the track temp never got that high, it doesn't bode well for the super softs on any other track. The weather will also be iffy for Malaysia this weekend.

Which, BTW, checking NBCSports schedule, I get these broadcast times:

All times Eastern

Friday, March 22: 2:00 AM Formula One Racing "Malaysia Grand Prix, Practice" LIVE
Saturday, March 23: 12:00 AM Formula One Racing "Malaysia Grand Prix, Practice" (doesn't say LIVE, don't know if this is a repeat of the earlier show or a tape delay of a later practice)

Saturday, March 23: 1:00 PM Formula One Racing "Malaysia Grand Prix, Qualifying" (definitely NOT live, given the time)

Sunday March 24: 3:30 AM Formula One Pre-Race LIVE
Sunday March 24: 4:00 AM Formula One Racing "Malaysia Grand Prix" LIVE

They may stream live, but I can't stream on this internet connection, so I didn't check.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,845,283 times
Thanks for the schedule! I still need to find NBCSports but at least I know when to look.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,746,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Thanks for the schedule! I still need to find NBCSports but at least I know when to look.
Go here and put in your zip code and it will list most of the broadcast methods in your area:

NBC Sports TV Listings & Livestream Schedule - Sports- NBC Sports

to see the full schedule, on a by-day listing
NBC Sports Network TV Listings

Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times
My point was that they are limiting perfroamnce of the highest tecnical cars in the wolrd by tires.It punishes the fastest car to make the slower more competitive. that was evident watching quaifying and the first laps by vettel the the great dropoff in laps times in just a few laps.Almost makes qaulgying first not worth the wear on tires if your fastest for race. Not what F1 which is about the highest tech cars in the world is about ;IMO. Making speed be punished by tire wear to allow slower cars to compete.The reason i watch qualifying mostly than actually races themselves.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,346,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My point was that they are limiting perfroamnce of the highest tecnical cars in the wolrd by tires.It punishes the fastest car to make the slower more competitive. that was evident watching quaifying and the first laps by vettel the the great dropoff in laps times in just a few laps.Almost makes qaulgying first not worth the wear on tires if your fastest for race. Not what F1 which is about the highest tech cars in the world is about ;IMO. Making speed be punished by tire wear to allow slower cars to compete.The reason i watch qualifying mostly than actually races themselves.
Having the fastest car shouldn't mean you have the winning team. The ENTIRE team should be involved in winning a race. This means having the best pit crew, the best management, the best engineers, the best drivers, best strategy, etc. Formula 1 is a team sport and if you have the fastest car and the best driver then the rest of your team becomes irrelevant if you outrace everyone else. Where's the fun in that?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Not true. They make the tyres as best they can given the specifications.
The tyres have new specifications for 2013. So it's essentially a new tyre by Pirelli.

What limits the cars performance is all other factors including tyres. The top teams ARE at the top. What more do you want? Vettel came third. That is hardly a bad result. Kimi made 2 stops VS 3 for all others. If he had to make the 3rd stop, Vettel would have been 2nd....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing