Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Being an Old Dale Sr. Fan since his Wrangler car days, I always find it comical when people talk of his popularity. He was hated by most and loves by some. The only year he was most popular was the year he died....
Jr. Different story......
yep, there were times when i despised dale sr, and other times i actually liked him.i did however have great respect for his abilities driving a race car, even one that was beat all to heck and still have a good finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,855,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I think it is Dale Sr (which has equated to the popularity of since Sr's death).

I would not say Gordon at all. I am a fan of his, and he has a large fanbase. Still, he is also universally hated by a large percentage of Nascar fans too. So unless we equate infamy to being "popular" I would discount him.
Funny, because Dale Sr. was very unpopular by the majority of NASCAR fans through most of his career, but very popular by his supporters. I remember people flipping him off at the track all the time. What changed was Jeff Gordon.

When Jeff Gordon started dominating NASCAR, Dale Sr. wasn't so evil and became univerally admired and loved.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,855,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
80-83 Bobby Allison
84-88 Bill Elliott
89-90 Darrell Waltrip
91-00 Bill Elliott
2001 Dale Earnhardt
2002 Bill Elliott
03-12 Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
Bill Elliott had this really aggressive fan club that stacked the ballots, so that's why he won most of those years. Don't get me wrong, he was well-liked and popular, but by no means the most popular driver most of those years from 91-00 and 02.

It was a total joke and even he was embarrassed by it when he was no longer a competitive driver.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,311,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Bill Elliott had this really aggressive fan club that stacked the ballots, so that's why he won most of those years. Don't get me wrong, he was well-liked and popular, but by no means the most popular driver most of those years from 91-00 and 02.

It was a total joke and even he was embarrassed by it when he was no longer a competitive driver.
Most popular has nothing to do with being most competitive.(sorry Jr fans) If the most competitive driver gets to be most popular then nobody drives harder than Kyle Bush and nobody wins more than JJ
Bill Elliott was voted most popular because he was.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:58 PM

468 posts, read 822,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Bill Elliott was voted most popular because he was.
He was most popular because his fan base voted often.

It was stuffing the ballot box, pure and simple.

The most popular driver thing is a joke because there is no limit as to how often you can vote.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:57 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
He was most popular because his fan base voted often.

It was stuffing the ballot box, pure and simple.

The most popular driver thing is a joke because there is no limit as to how often you can vote.
Are you suggesting there was a more likeable driver during Bill's tenure?

Let me guess, is his son now driving?

Old 11-01-2013, 05:53 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,633,096 times
Quote:

I think he is driving a truck..

Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Are you are suggesting Jr.

I really don't give a flip as to who gets the award because it is meaningless and it is all about stuffing the ballot box.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:46 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Are you are suggesting Jr.

I really don't give a flip as to who gets the award because it is meaningless and it is all about stuffing the ballot box.
\
For somebody who doesn't care you sure complain about it.

I never voted for anybody because like you I don't care so it doesn't bother me who wins or not.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
\
For somebody who doesn't care you sure complain about it.

I never voted for anybody because like you I don't care so it doesn't bother me who wins or not.

So then why are you complaining?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing