Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 PM

123 posts, read 295,764 times

Advertisements

Hi all I've tried to search online but can't find any data. It's a lot easier to find say, which soccer leagues are most popular. (attendence figures, TV figures, etc) I just got back into F1 racing and am wondering what the other biggest racing leagues are, in terms of driver talent, worldwide interest, etc..

Is WRC 2nd to F1? Or is it Le Mans Series? I have no clue...

I know NASCAR is big but am too 'hurt' by how the series changed in the 00s to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 07:42 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Probably F1 but just like soccer is the most popular team sport called football we all know it's not real football like the NFL. Just like F1 is not real racing.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:34 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
F1... but interest wanes when one team/driver wins almost all the races.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:35 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Probably F1 but just like soccer is the most popular team sport called football we all know it's not real football like the NFL. Just like F1 is not real racing.
Really?

And just what would you call 'real' racing?

Old 11-28-2013, 02:01 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really?

Any series where the same team does not win nine consecutive races.

F1 is just a demonstration sport of who can outspend the competition. If Vettel's equipment wasn't far superior to the others then maybe it would be a race.
The team uniforms for Red Bull cost more than the cars in other motor sports.

Red Bull did try it's luck in a more competitive series without much success.

Some people enjoy watching expensive racing machines parade around the track but most would like to see competition and an occasional pass.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I disagree has Vettel showed the same when he was in a infwerior car just has Schumacher did. he is another machine driving a car.But just like anything even developing such a car requires driver input also. talent in reacing is like anything else. but I agree but with all racing to keep it from being boring all mange races to make competitiven racing now days. F1 is no long the ultimate racing since they limit even the driving so much now days from tires to speed on over taking.There is a reason F1 has always paid the money for the highest scoring team rather than driver. its because its supposed to be a high tech race with maximum development within formula allowed. fastest use to win but people started tunig out;so business decision where made.It was at one time all about the race cars themselves really.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:07 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Any series where the same team does not win nine consecutive races.

F1 is just a demonstration sport of who can outspend the competition. If Vettel's equipment wasn't far superior to the others then maybe it would be a race.
The team uniforms for Red Bull cost more than the cars in other motor sports.

Red Bull did try it's luck in a more competitive series without much success.

Some people enjoy watching expensive racing machines parade around the track but most would like to see competition and an occasional pass.
From what I read Red Bull isn't outspending Ferrari and McLaren and possibly Mercedes either yet they dominate, all the competition isn't on track, it starts on the drawing boards. There isn't a team in any form of racing that wouldn't enjoy dominating a series if they could, I don't see the point in blaming Red Bull because they win. Isn't that the point of racing?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
As far as worldwide popularity; I think we must remember that few forms of racing is done worldwide. I think if you talk to say any NASCAR fan they would like to keep the racing series only here in the country. I think its recognition has a American race form is very important to its appeal.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:50 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really?

I think he was just being a smart aleck. Everyone knows that a motorsport that only involves making a left, then another left....then another left...then another left and the drivers dont have to out break each is just candy a$$ racing that might as well be done on big wheels.

In response to the OPs question. I'm guessing F1, World Rally or World Touring Car is the most popular.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
F1 is easily the biggest motorsport in the world. Then I would say Rally, MotoGP and LeMans style racing. Of these, only Rally is the only one to penetrate the US in a major way. F1 has interest in America only when they have American races it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing