Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times

Advertisements

In race trim the leader still has a huge aero advantage. It'll take a freight train to get around him and that's not likely to happen when it's every driver for himself. The drivers have adjusted to the closing rate. I don't foresee the race being all that exciting.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 02-20-2014 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think it will be as usual and long race with track changing as always meaning adjustments. tonites races were basically sprints with little adjustments and even cutting fuel as close as possible to cut time in one pit stop.That and a lot of drivers were in and looking to experiment but stay safe as they could. As happen Truex loss his front role spot because of that late crash. Others allowed ones racing for a spot to pass at last if they were assured.The realp rize was getting the money guaranteed when to start 500. for many teams.Look how many now are starting at back of pack.Need to change this race as its too risky for many assured a spot unless they wreck or breakdown.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In race trim the leader still has a huge aero advantage. It'll take a freight train to get around him and that's not likely to happen when it's every driver for himself. The drivers have adjusted to the closing rate. I don't foresee the race being all that exciting.
The drivers certainly adjusted for yesterdays twin qualifiers. If not for JJ running out of fuel on the last lap, we would have had 2 clean races with no LAST LAP passes for the lead or win. Some of that is credited to the fact that many of the drivers simply wanted a good finish just to qualify and many of the others wanted to keep their cars in tact for the 500. In the end, only 2 or 3 cars from each race were actually racing to win...

Old 02-21-2014, 12:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
gee, a restrictor plate race not being all that exciting, welcome to 1987. people complained about the tandem racing a few years ago when the rules changed, but i rather liked it. you had to have a teammate that would stick with you all the time, and two cars could pull out and pass, and if the right combination got together, they could run down other tandems, but even then no one really had a clear advantage, and keeping those tandems together the entire race was not easy.

but the fans wanted the huge packs of cars running single or double file for most of the race, and that is what they got.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
gee, a restrictor plate race not being all that exciting, welcome to 1987. people complained about the tandem racing a few years ago when the rules changed, but i rather liked it. you had to have a teammate that would stick with you all the time, and two cars could pull out and pass, and if the right combination got together, they could run down other tandems, but even then no one really had a clear advantage, and keeping those tandems together the entire race was not easy.

but the fans wanted the huge packs of cars running single or double file for most of the race, and that is what they got.
You're preaching to the choir. I actually enjoyed the tandem racing because the closing rate was enormous. Heck I even enjoyed the '01 Daytona 500 prior to the last lap. The problem is they're not back to the pack racing. They run single file most of the time now.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM

It will be interesting to see as the racing certainly changed last night .I look for more blocking as car approaches d from rear as it seems to stop them now.Just a wait and see how they adjust to different car reactions.That first race finish was close;three car less than one car length.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 PM

Great race and Jr. drove like a champion not giving anything away on restarts.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Great race and Jr. drove like a champion not giving anything away on restarts.
I'll second that. The rain delay was frustrating, but Kudos to NASCAR for restarting it at around 9PM EST. Jr drove one heck of a race and the pack racing is what the fans have been asking for (to the bane of the drivers).

Congrats Jr!!

Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
One "new fans" race out of the way so it's on to real racing (no restrictor plates) for us old fans.
Congrats to Jr. even though I'm not a fan there is no reason to dislike him he's a good guy and deserved the win.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 AM

Default It was markedly better than I expected...

The rain delay/threat of showers was a blessing in disguise. If the race had been run entirely during the day without showers, we would've likely seen a repeat of last year's race.

The rain and cooler temps made the cars handle significantly better, and the possibility of additional showers made them drive way over their heads to be out front in case weather aborted the race early.

Gotta give props to Jr for driving a hell of a race. He worked the front of the draft perfectly. Him grinning from ear-to-ear on that in-car shot during his victory lap was a nice sight.

Also gotta give major kudos to Hamlin. He wheeled his car to a second place finish in all that traffic while driving completely blind. His radio conked out because of the rain and he had no spotter communication once the race restarted. Love him or hate him, that's pretty damn impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing