U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
One "new fans" race out of the way so it's on to real racing (no restrictor plates) for us old fans.
Congrats to Jr. even though I'm not a fan there is no reason to dislike him he's a good guy and deserved the win.
Whose a new fan? Restrictor plate racing just takes holding the throttle down as let off punishes those who do. Kind of like turbo lag really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Woulda ;coulda ;shoulda;it was a good race before and after the rain;plain and simple. Every competitive cars among brands and teams.JR was fast all day.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,867,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Whose a new fan? Restrictor plate racing just takes holding the throttle down as let off punishes those who do. Kind of like turbo lag really.
If your an older fan how could you possible like restrictor plate racing? Choking down a 800+ HP engine to just 400+ HP for restrictor plate racing just sucks.

If you take the 1987 winning car out of wherever it is hiding and put it on the track with today's cars it laps the field by even more than two laps it did back in the day at Talladega.

The drivers all hate restrictor plate racing so I can't understand how any fans could like it.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:32 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If your an older fan how could you possible like restrictor plate racing? Choking down a 800+ HP engine to just 400+ HP for restrictor plate racing just sucks.

If you take the 1987 winning car out of wherever it is hiding and put it on the track with today's cars it laps the field by even more than two laps it did back in the day at Talladega.

The drivers all hate restrictor plate racing so I can't understand how any fans could like it.
If you hate the plates, I've got good news and bad news for you. I think the plates will be gone within the next 5-10 years, but they'll be replaced by fuel injection mapping.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Great race and Jr. drove like a champion not giving anything away on restarts.
Couldn't believe how many people left after the delay - guess they had to if they worked the next day. I'd say that in the backstretch where I was sitting, only 10% of the people came back to see the race. Not a huge fan, but figured I'd go see another one (was also there in 2012 -Monday night). For the life of me, can't see to get too interested in the sport. I have respect for the driver's courage, but it seems to me that there are way too many races and it dilutes the importance of any one race.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:26 PM

977 posts, read 1,629,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
...it seems to me that there are way too many races and it dilutes the importance of any one race.
That's one way of looking at it. But the number of races also rewards consistency and protects drivers from having an entire season ruined by getting caught up in someone else's mess in one race. I can see how someone would say there's too many races at similar tracks though. I'd like to see fewer cookie-cutter 1.5 mile tracks, and more Rockingham-types and road courses.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,222,778 times
Quote:
Couldn't believe how many people left after the delay - guess they had to if they worked the next day. I'd say that in the backstretch where I was sitting, only 10% of the people came back to see the race. Not a huge fan, but figured I'd go see another one (was also there in 2012 -Monday night). For the life of me, can't see to get too interested in the sport. I have respect for the driver's courage, but it seems to me that there are way too many races and it dilutes the importance of any one race.
Well, we were on the backstretch and didn't come back.

But, i go to Daytona every year so its not a super big deal other than missing Jr win.. he may not win (Daytona) again.. who knows.

The reason we did not return.. my son (9) had school the next day and we live in Atlanta. so.

But, we were also at the Saturday Race and Jr Motorsports Regan Smith won that race so we had a good weekend regardless of the rain on Sunday.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
I would have left, but took a bus from Tampa and was held hostage until the bus came back - had to be cancelled for the bus to return earlier. I was hoping it would be rescheduled for Monday and I would have driven back on my own like I did in 2012.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,222,778 times
Quote:
I would have left, but took a bus from Tampa and was held hostage until the bus came back - had to be cancelled for the bus to return earlier. I was hoping it would be rescheduled for Monday and I would have driven back on my own like I did in 2012.
I was just wondering about those folks who were on charter busses to the race... not fun.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:57 PM

Everyone has preference as to tracks. I like short track oval and really don't see these cars as good for most road courses used .Many were originally designed for motorcycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing