U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 10:20 AM

2,609 posts, read 3,846,664 times

Advertisements

Vettel is truly having some terrible luck this season.

However I have to celebrate because Grosjean did well and Kimi out qualified Alonso! I can't stand Alonso lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 12:30 PM

7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times
Dull middle, but an entertaining finish. Although the lead car (no spoilers!) lapping up to 7th place? Ouch. Further gloom in a certain temperamental F1 factory.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:04 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,014,232 times
I thought maybe Red Bull and perhaps some of the others were gaining on Mercedes in Q3 until Rosberg and Hamilton laid down those final hot laps. Wow. It'll be a small miracle if one of them DOESN'T win every race on the calendar.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:01 PM

58,188 posts, read 41,009,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Vettel is truly having some terrible luck this season.
It's gonna be interesting, given Ricciardo's performance so far it looks like we may well learn Vettel's four titles in a row were more car than driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
However I have to celebrate because Grosjean did well and Kimi out qualified Alonso! I can't stand Alonso lol.
Like him or not I'd guess just about any team would be happy to have Alonso. He has that ability to take a mediocre car and get more from it than it appears to have.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,014,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's gonna be interesting, given Ricciardo's performance so far it looks like we may well learn Vettel's four titles in a row were more car than driver.
I've been saying this for years now. Vettel is good at hot lapping around the track and putting the car on pole. And with that car, as soon as he got outside of DRS range, he was gone. All he had to do was not screw up and the win was his. Meanwhile, Alonso is driving his ass off in a vastly inferior car, and still nearly wins two titles. Give me Alonso any day of the week over Vettel (I'd take Hamilton too and probably Ricciardo).

I'll give him credit though, I didn't expect him to finish 4th in Spain. Good driving effort there.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:38 PM

7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times
I don't actually really dislike anyone in F1 (well, maybe Bernie and Luca Montezemolo. And maybe Maldonado), although I do have my favorites. I like Vettel, and I think the frustrations of this year are good for him, as a driver and a person. He is an excellent driver and he has had a car and a team that suited him completely - now he's having to broaden his skills to and deal with a less-than-perfect car. Ricciardo, coming up the way he did, is USED to having a car that doesn't suit him. I liked Lewis Hamilton's decision to strike out from home and join a new team, but thought this last race was bringing the whiny Lewis back out again, which is not my favorite aspect of him.

As far as F1 being boring when there is such a dominant team - meh. I tend to root for Force India and Sauber anyway, for the mid pack teams to get those points, and take great pleasure in seeing Williams making a comeback

Old 05-15-2014, 11:36 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
From what I have read Mercedes just has the straight line speed to makeup for what Red Bull makes up in corners. Not surprising when you look at Renault versus Mercedes in economic terms lately. Certainly the new formula engine just makes catching up in these times hard as its already extremely expensive game. instead of getting less so; they just raised the bar for teams as far as cost goes to be competitive and its more than ever more about the cars. than drivers competing on near equal terms.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:09 AM

3,693 posts, read 5,853,031 times
How a different turbocharger layout (it's so simple everybody else is probably wondering why they didn't think of it) gave Mercedes a 50 horsepower advantage and better handling and less drag to boot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ

Old 05-16-2014, 02:40 PM

58,188 posts, read 41,009,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
How a different turbocharger layout (it's so simple everybody else is probably wondering why they didn't think of it) gave Mercedes a 50 horsepower advantage and better handling and less drag to boot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ
That's cool! (pun intended ), Thanks for posting this!

The fab shops must be quite busy at the moment.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 AM

983 posts, read 1,366,678 times
With the engine freeze, the other are on a tough spot. Except Honda, of course, who can try their own version of the twin turbo before reentering F1 with McLaren next season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing