U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 AM

58,199 posts, read 41,033,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Looked to me like Nico was on the inside, and Lewis came across his bow and made contact. These F1 drivers like to run people into the grass, and it looks like Lewis was going to attempt that. Except that Nico was already there. Oops.
More the opposite, Nico was trying an outside move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1zpRGcmeOg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 AM

983 posts, read 1,367,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
But you never know the circumstances in test laps. Fuel rate? Tires? Weight? etc etc.
Plus all the rubber from a full race weekend. Also, tests are earlier, with a warmer track. Test times don't say a lot. Always take them with a bucket of salt.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 AM

3,699 posts, read 5,856,832 times
Right, now no one is getting ice cream shouts Wolff « Sniff Petrol

"That’s the decree of exasperated Merc F1 boss Toto Wolff following a tense journey back from the Belgium Grand Prix this week during which the two drivers were said to have ‘bickered constantly’ in the back seat of the overloaded GL63 whilst Wolff was ‘trying to concentrate on the road’."

Old 08-31-2014, 08:03 AM

7,836 posts, read 19,586,883 times
I heard the big nock against F1 is that the pole position usually wins and that there is literally no passing ever done and that when the race starts expect when there is a crash that the race is really only between 1-3 positions and that if you are in the middle or back you have no chance at ever winning a race?

is this true?

Old 08-31-2014, 09:11 AM

7,316 posts, read 15,368,793 times
Because of the variety in engine and chassis/aero designs, sometimes there is a single team that dominates during the year. So in one of those years, yes, the dominant teams tend to be 1-2 at the front of the grid and can be difficult to pass. This year, with the complete rule changes regarding engines, that team is Mercedes. Next year other teams will catch up and the Mercedes stranglehold will be lessened (current engine suppliers are Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault). Honda becomes an engine supplier in 2015 and while I doubt they will dominate right out of the box (go ahead, Honda, prove me wrong!) that should make things lively.

There are also a couple of tracks - like the street circuit at Monaco - where passing is difficult, so starting on the first row is a huge advantage. Race before last, Lewis Hamilton started from the pits (ie: dead last) and finished 3rd, so passing certainly happens. In the opening lap there is often contact on the first corner or two but not generally a huge shunt, although that has happened. There is always racing to watch somewhere in the pack and while I frequently want to kick the F1 cameramen, they usually do a fairly good job of covering it.

Right now the interesting teams to watch are Red Bull, Ferrari, Williams at the first tier - but I also root for several teams beyond that, McLaren, Sauber, Lotus, Toro Rosso and Force India - and I am still hoping for points for Marussia and Caterham, ever the optimist that I am.

I like F1 for the car tech, the teams/drivers, the race strategies (and when they go spectacularly wrong, as has happened), the on-track racing. It is an entire package deal. I like most of the race courses (though I am not fond of street circuits) and I like to watch the cars "work" as the drivers push them. I also particularly like the qualifying format, which is just as interesting as the race.

Before the split I watched CART and liked it as well, although I am not a fan of oval races at all. Since the latest reorganization, I just haven't found it interesting with what seem to be spec cars and 3 teams owning half the cars. I miss the old Trans-Am series and the many IMSA series. Since I don't like ovals, NASCAR holds no interest for me.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:53 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,015,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
More the opposite, Nico was trying an outside move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1zpRGcmeOg
The next turn was a left hander. Nico was on the inside for that turn.

*edit* Or it was a chicane, however you want to call it. He was on the outside at corner entry, but he knew he had position for the left turn they had to make to clear the corner. That's the turn he was setting himself up for.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 AM

58,199 posts, read 41,033,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
The next turn was a left hander. Nico was on the inside for that turn.

*edit* Or it was a chicane, however you want to call it. He was on the outside at corner entry, but he knew he had position for the left turn they had to make to clear the corner. That's the turn he was setting himself up for.
The fact he was clearly behind Hamilton is meaningless, eh?

Many, including me, would say it's up to the overtaking driver to pass cleanly before setting up for anything. By that standard Nico screwed the pooch and was deserving of the 'welcome' he received on the podium at Spa.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,848,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The fact he was clearly behind Hamilton is meaningless, eh?

Many, including me, would say it's up to the overtaking driver to pass cleanly before setting up for anything. By that standard Nico screwed the pooch and was deserving of the 'welcome' he received on the podium at Spa.
I do believe those are also the rules the FIA have implemented.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:03 AM

7,316 posts, read 15,368,793 times
I expected to hear something from FIA about team orders, but instead we get this nonsense:

Wolff foresees radio controversy | Planet F1 | Formula One News

So now the teams are not allowed to give the driver any competitive info over the radio during the race? Things like: you are losing time at the exit to Corner 3 or the tires/brakes are too hot?

Apparently putting the info on pit boards will be allowed. Probably they will be putting up giant billboards for the drivers....

I don't see the point. So it is more exciting to see drivers run out of fuel or suffer car failures?

Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 AM

983 posts, read 1,367,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I expected to hear something from FIA about team orders, but instead we get this nonsense:

Wolff foresees radio controversy | Planet F1 | Formula One News

So now the teams are not allowed to give the driver any competitive info over the radio during the race? Things like: you are losing time at the exit to Corner 3 or the tires/brakes are too hot?

Apparently putting the info on pit boards will be allowed. Probably they will be putting up giant billboards for the drivers....

I don't see the point. So it is more exciting to see drivers run out of fuel or suffer car failures?
Won't be allowed on pitwalls either.

I think it's a good move. Will reward the drivers who feel and know the car better. No more "change brake bias to blah to protect the rear tyres", or "your teammate is gaining on you by turning earlier into turn x and being earlier in the throttle" ... figure it out like a big boy or lose the race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing