U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 08:07 AM

58,188 posts, read 41,018,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Off topic, but does anyone else dislike the exhaust note of thr current engines?
What I really dislike is engine configuration by regulation. The first GP I ever attended featured Ferrari and Honda V-12s, Repco V-8s, BRM H-16s, and probably others I'm forgetting. Some of the sounds were just awesome.

What I'd like to see is a weight per displacement formula with a fuel quantity limit, limited to piston engines and possibly limited to normally aspirated as well, otherwise let the designers have at it. In other words you could build a small engine light car, a big engine heavy car, something in between, and feel free to choose any number of cylinders and configuration you desire as long as crash/safety regulations were met.

Given the vast amounts of energy consumed by 24/7 wind-tunnels, carting teams all around the world, etc. I'd also like to see the pretense of being 'green' be dropped and the complication of KERS eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 08:53 PM

7,308 posts, read 15,363,150 times
?!

Vettel to leave Red Bull for Ferrari, Kvyat will move up from Toro Rosso to Red Bull, Alonso likely leaving Ferrari for McLaren.

I know it is silly season, but come on!

Vettel to leave Red Bull Racing | Planet F1 | Formula One News
'Alonso closing in on Ferrari exit' | Planet F1 | Formula One News
BBC Sport - Fernando Alonso to be replaced by Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari

Also Typhoon Phanfon is not expected to hit Japan until Monday - which won't delay the race but WILL impact the teams trying to leave Japan for the next weekend's race in Russia.
BBC Sport - Japanese Grand Prix: Typhoon threat reducing say forecasters

Despite this, Qualifying is moved to Sunday morning. No idea when it will air on TV.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:03 PM

2,609 posts, read 3,847,139 times
My twitter feed is insane right now. My favorite is still Will Buxton's commentary. Vettel has always said he wanted to drive for Ferrari. Hopefully they have a better car next year.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
My twitter feed is insane right now. My favorite is still Will Buxton's commentary. Vettel has always said he wanted to drive for Ferrari. Hopefully they have a better car next year.
It'll be interesting. I think Alonso has proven his ability to get the most from a so-so car this year. Given his performance vs. Ricciardo this year it doesn't seem Vettel has.

When Hamilton left McLaren many questioned a move that now makes him look like a genius. I wonder if the same will be said of Vettel and/or Alonso a year or two from now?

If Renault can raise its power/reliability levels I wouldn't bet against a team with Adrian Newey at work, even at a reduced capacity.

Last edited by burdell; 10-04-2014 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It'll be interesting. I think Alonso has proven his ability to get the most from a so-so car this year. Given his performance vs. Ricciardo this year it doesn't seem Vettel has.

When Hamilton left McLaren many questioned a move that now makes him look like a genius. I wonder if the same will be said of Vettel and/or Alonso a year or two from now?

If Renault can raise its power/reliability levels I wouldn't bet against a team with Adrian Newey at work, even at a reduced capacity.
Newey has been kicked upstairs at Red Bull and is no longer the chief F1 designer. He's supposedly working on America's Cup boats for Red Bull. Newey was quoted earlier in the year as complaining that F1 had switched from aero-dominated to engine-dominated. If true, leaving a Renault-powered team might be a good idea - although Renault could get its act together next year.

The typhoon forecast has changed, it's now supposed to be a super typhoon (winds 150 mph and above) when it hits land, on Sunday evening, Japanese time. Since that is when the eye makes landfall, the winds and rain will hit well prior to that and the 3:00pm race start is supposedly iffy. If they can't get the race off on Sunday, supposedly they will simply cancel it, because they have to be in Russia by Wednesday.

I'd forgotten that Alonso was one of the people who turned McLaren in during the cheatergate thing. Hmm, returning to the team that you turned in some evidence that helped get them a $100M fine? Awkward.

2007 Formula One espionage controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most awkward question of the Qualy session, from Will Buxton to JEV, about being passed over twice for the bump up to Red Bull from Toro Rosso. Ouch.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:33 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,978,960 times
I think too few of us realize the makeup of drivers at this level. Drivers dream of being part of a team like Red Bull that goes from zero to four world championships. They dream of doing what Schumacher did. I think Lewis left because he saw he wasn't going to gather many championships at McLaren but we see disappointment that he has competition if just from within the team. Few drivers can stand to be just one of the drivers at that level. Nothing wrong with that has its just what it takes to get to and sustain at that level. Once that Hunger is gone likely so is the driver as far as being at top.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Newey has been kicked upstairs at Red Bull and is no longer the chief F1 designer. He's supposedly working on America's Cup boats for Red Bull. Newey was quoted earlier in the year as complaining that F1 had switched from aero-dominated to engine-dominated. If true, leaving a Renault-powered team might be a good idea - although Renault could get its act together next year.
I'm not convinced Newey will find it easy to step completely away. He's one of those rare talents who seems to sense intuitively what takes many others a lot of trial and error to learn. Even if his input is limited to planting the seeds of ideas among the engineering staff it's an asset most if not all teams would be happy to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I'd forgotten that Alonso was one of the people who turned McLaren in during the cheatergate thing. Hmm, returning to the team that you turned in some evidence that helped get them a $100M fine? Awkward.
No announcement and Alonso is being awfully non-committal. Even though it doesn't seem as if there are many opportunities at the level he'd no doubt insist on I have to wonder if one of the current second tier teams might have something new and tempting up their sleeve?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:27 AM

2,609 posts, read 3,847,139 times
Spoiler
It was a good race but I seriously hope Bianchi pulls through. From what I've read it was a serious brain injury and after surgery he will be in an intensive care unit. He was showing a lot of promise this season, hubby and I even discussed how it would be nice to see a mid-level team pick him up for next season after qualifying yesterday.

Not the way I expexted the race to end though.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:53 AM

F1 does the "incompetent sanctioning body" dance, yet again. Why they didn't move the race up to the morning when, as Will Buxton points out, the stands were filled by about 8am, I have no idea. Some misguided belief that fans like to watch cars slide off track and hit barriers and track equipment?

One of the advantages of watching the race on several hour tape delay is that you can immediately check on the outcome of an injured racer and breathe a sigh of relief when things seem less dire than they did at the conclusion of the race.

And I have to say that, sans injury, that was EXACTLY the way I expected the race to end - under red flag.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:56 AM

Default R.I.P Andrea de Cesaris

BBC Sport - Andrea De Cesaris: Italian former Formula 1 driver dies aged 55
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing