U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 12:47 PM

983 posts, read 1,365,656 times

Advertisements

Andrea was seriously underrated. Shame things never fully clicked for him. RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

58,174 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Andrea was seriously underrated. Shame things never fully clicked for him. RIP.
As a longtime F1 fan ( I used to watch an hour and twenty minutes of Sumo wrestling and Tiddlywinks on Wide World of Sports to see ten minutes of Monaco ) as well as a lover of motorcycles, it was very sad to read this story. It seems all too common how some talented drivers just never seem to click at the right time with the right team. By all accounts many in the pit lane believed Giancarlo Fisichella to be one the more talented drivers in the game but things just never worked out for him. I was expecting great things from Robert Kubica in F1 as well before his rally crash ended that possibility.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 PM

7,291 posts, read 15,345,231 times
Hmmm, not-so-thrilling Sochi. Bernie and Vlad sitting together, it would be amusing to hear what they talked about. "So I understand you are Dictator For Life?" Would that be Bernie to Vlad or vv?

Apparently Kamui is ruing giving up the Endurance drive.

3 weeks till Austin. Too long.

Amusing that the last race of the year and the double points thing might bite either Hamilton or Rosberg - I am sure they were 100% for it last year, when they thought it would hinder Red Bull.

Best wishes to Jules, of course....

Old 10-13-2014, 03:44 AM

The double points thing is a bit too gimmicky for my taste and I can only hope it's eliminated after this year.

With so little being said about who's going where and Alonso saying his choice will be obvious I'm starting to believe he stays at Ferrari, partnered by Vettel, with Kimi either to McLaren or off to party.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:05 AM

983 posts, read 1,365,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The double points thing is a bit too gimmicky for my taste and I can only hope it's eliminated after this year.

With so little being said about who's going where and Alonso saying his choice will be obvious I'm starting to believe he stays at Ferrari, partnered by Vettel, with Kimi either to McLaren or off to party.
Alonso is out. Marccione, new Ferrari's CEO, takes over today. I think the announcement will be soon.

There are a lot of rumors about what he's doing next. Some say he has signed with McLaren, some say he hasn't and that he is trying to secure a 2016 Mercedes seat, taking a sabbatical in 2015. It's a muddy picture right now.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Alonso is out. Marccione, new Ferrari's CEO, takes over today. I think the announcement will be soon.

There are a lot of rumors about what he's doing next. Some say he has signed with McLaren, some say he hasn't and that he is trying to secure a 2016 Mercedes seat, taking a sabbatical in 2015. It's a muddy picture right now.
Word in some of the Euro press is he signed a contract with HONDA, I find it difficult to believe there could be a workable relationship with Ron Dennis if he was cut out of the loop. To me that choice wouldn't be as obvious as Alonso has claimed his will be but then again, he is known to be a bit Machiavellian in his dealings.

Ferrari seems to have reverted to the Italian soap opera it's so often been, should be a sillier than normal 'silly season'.

Last edited by burdell; 10-13-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 07:09 PM

2,608 posts, read 3,844,478 times
Russia was boring, we all fell asleep including my 9 year old daughter who doesn't nap anymore. It was just so slow.

Texas seems like forever away, I want to go back and see it live but the Canadian GP is about the same distance and so much cheaper than Texas that our next one will likely be Canada next year or the year after.

It is going to be the most awkward and uncomfortable situation if Alonso winds up back at McLaren.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Russia was boring, we all fell asleep including my 9 year old daughter who doesn't nap anymore. It was just so slow.

Texas seems like forever away, I want to go back and see it live but the Canadian GP is about the same distance and so much cheaper than Texas that our next one will likely be Canada next year or the year after.

It is going to be the most awkward and uncomfortable situation if Alonso winds up back at McLaren.
I've never been but have heard a lot of good things about Austin, that being said you can't go wrong with Montreal, beautiful city and its support for the GP is second to none.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:28 PM

2,608 posts, read 3,844,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've never been but have heard a lot of good things about Austin, that being said you can't go wrong with Montreal, beautiful city and its support for the GP is second to none.
When we went to Austin in 2012 we bumped into a guy from England who said one of his favorite races is Montreal. Being located smack dab in the middle of North America puts us in the situation where both races are about the same distance away but Montreal is cheaper to do. Not only that, but Montreal is during the summer when school is out so I wouldn't have to take time off and we could take our daughter with us. (As long as they keep it at the beginning of June.)

My dad is currently in Barcelona for work, out of curiosity I asked if he has run into any Ferrari or Alonso gear. He said he hasn't, but he did see some Red Bull F1 t-shirts at one of the shops. I found that surprising, I didn't get the vibe that RB had much of a following in Spain.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
When we went to Austin in 2012 we bumped into a guy from England who said one of his favorite races is Montreal. Being located smack dab in the middle of North America puts us in the situation where both races are about the same distance away but Montreal is cheaper to do. Not only that, but Montreal is during the summer when school is out so I wouldn't have to take time off and we could take our daughter with us. (As long as they keep it at the beginning of June.)
I've only been to Montreal once but had a GREAT time! The track is pretty good for a temporary circuit and if you stay near a Metro stop you really don't need to use your car to go most places, including the track. Some great restaurants there and the old part of the city is a nice change of pace. Are Austin prices really crazy? One magazine article I read about the first GP there claimed $1,000.00 was being asked for motel rooms that normally went for something in the vicinity of $159.00.

Quote:
My dad is currently in Barcelona for work, out of curiosity I asked if he has run into any Ferrari or Alonso gear. He said he hasn't, but he did see some Red Bull F1 t-shirts at one of the shops. I found that surprising, I didn't get the vibe that RB had much of a following in Spain.
Surprising he saw Red Bull gear and not Ferrari/Alonso, perhaps they've already given up with Alonso leaving Ferrari? I think the real motorsports mania in Spain falls on MotoGP Four races of an eighteen race season are held in the country and each seems very well attended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing