Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Of course. Haas will be a small fish. I took Mercedes four seasons to get where they are now and they have plenty of experience and resources. I think Haas will end up like HRT
Mercedes got quite a head start when they acquired the Brawn (formerly HONDA) team, it gave them a wealth of experience/data to build on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

If Ford or GM decided they wanted to claim the F1 championship it would be a walk in the park for them.
Chicken farmer Carroll Shelby along with a little help from Ford put those Ferrari's on the trailer back then and F1 would probably be easy for Haas to do the same.
Sadly.. that is hilarious.. sports car racing is not F1 and the 60s is not the present, 50+ years later...

Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Sadly.. that is hilarious.. sports car racing is not F1 and the 60s is not the present, 50+ years later...
What's so friggin hilarious. Ford went after Ferrari when that was the proper venue to attack Ferrari.

Pretty sure Hass/Ford/GM would not be sending any Cobras or GT 40's to beat up on F1.

I know you are an expert but sometimes your expertise is nothing more than nonsense.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
What's so friggin hilarious. Ford went after Ferrari when that was the proper venue to attack Ferrari.

Pretty sure Hass/Ford/GM would not be sending any Cobras or GT 40's to beat up on F1.

I know you are an expert but sometimes your expertise is nothing more than nonsense.
Ford had a wide open set of regulations to build within as well as the fact that '60s endurance racing wasn't the 24 hour sprint it is today.

They stayed within the rules and did a commendable job but to suggest entering and becoming competitive in the F1 circus today is a comparable task is folly.

The more regulated a particular class is, and F1 is certainly more regulated than '60s endurance racers were, the more difficult it becomes to design/develop a car that will stand out from the rest.

Gene Haas owns a wonderful wind tunnel facility and may well have pockets deep enough to succeed in F1 but it will take an enormous amount of work and commitment to do so. I hope he does and look forward to seeing an American car hit the circuit.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:49 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Ford had a wide open set of regulations to build within as well as the fact that '60s endurance racing wasn't the 24 hour sprint it is today.

They stayed within the rules and did a commendable job but to suggest entering and becoming competitive in the F1 circus today is a comparable task is folly.

The more regulated a particular class is, and F1 is certainly more regulated than '60s endurance racers were, the more difficult it becomes to design/develop a car that will stand out from the rest.

Gene Haas owns a wonderful wind tunnel facility and may well have pockets deep enough to succeed in F1 but it will take an enormous amount of work and commitment to do so. I hope he does and look forward to seeing an American car hit the circuit.
I doubt that Ford or GM has any interest in F1. Just saying if they were so inclined they do have the resources to make an all out winning effort.

IMO Gene Haas would have to be affiliated with a major American automaker if he was to make an all out American owned, built, driven, entry.

I don't believe I ever said 60's technology could win today as another poster implied.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
I doubt that Ford or GM has any interest in F1. Just saying if they were so inclined they do have the resources to make an all out winning effort.
By resources you must mean money.

They certainly don't have the ability to design and build a F1 car. They would have to hire everything done.

Could GM, after the bailout, afford to do this?

Old 04-17-2014, 01:57 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:

The 60s called. They want your post back.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:32 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

They certainly don't have the ability to design and build a F1 car. They would have to hire everything done.

Could GM, after the bailout, afford to do this?
No, I do not think so. Even Toyota left F1 after the finanical cries hit in 2008. I believe they had an annual budget of £300m ($503m).

2012 F1 Budgets (estimates) - source: Autosport

Red Bull:
Budget: £235.5m
Profit: £4.5m

Ferrari:
Budget: £250m
Profit: £10m

McLaren:
Budget: £160m
Profit: £20m (2011)

Mercedes:
Budget: £160m
Profit: -£10m (2011)

Lotus:
Budget: £130m
Income: -£10m

Force India:
Budget: £100m
Profit: -£25m

Sauber:
Budget: £90m
Profit: -£15m

Williams:
Budget: £90m
Profit: £0m

Toro Rosso:
Budget: £70m

Caterham:
Budget: £65m

Marussia:
Budget: £51m

Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

So Americans are not smart enough to build competitive F1 cars? I didn't realize Americans were so lacking in technology.

Here is what it take to win in motorsports.$$$$$ the more of these you spend to closer you get to being the best and F1 is where lots of these $$$$$ is most obvious.

I just don't think the American car companies see any return on their dollar for F1 racing.

I just read where F1 is now using electric motors. to increase torque. How thrilling.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
You also said "If Ford or GM decided they wanted to claim the F1 championship it would be a walk in the park for them."

Given Toyota's poor results in F1 what resources do you believe GM/Ford have that Toyota doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing