U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM

890 posts, read 1,531,395 times

Advertisements

I remember attending a couple of USAC Silver Crown races at Flemington, NJ and Nazareth, PA back in the early 80s. There were at least 3 or 4 Indy 500 vets in the fields back then. If you look at it, when USAC was no longer sanctioning Indy, is when the real disconnect started. Fast forward to the 90s and I think the original premise of the IRL (Indycar) was good, but very poorly executed.

But, i think Indycar is heading in the right direction, ugly cars or not. I hate that its basically spec racing, but what major series isnt anymore? Its so darn expensive. But if you attend an event it's very fan friendly and relatively not that expensive to attend as a fan. I have attended more Indycar races the last 5 years (4) than I have NASCAR (0).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:02 PM

277 posts, read 233,075 times
You can take IndyCar out of the irl but you can't take the irl out of IndyCar.

Good job Mr Hunter-Reay.. The good thing about his bone headed "pass" was seeing the lessor Andretti looking like he just ate a lemon while holding in a fart...

Honourable mention to Bobby Jr. Ain't nepotism great? Hey Graham, before you go all Andretti on us and whine on the radio that you didn't do anything wrong, please remember that you are carrying an in car camera... dumbass..

Last, but not least. Thank you Tony George, the man born on third base but thinks he hit a triple, for bringing us this abortion masquerading as IndyCar.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,718,699 times
I missed the race again because I had a race of my own.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:34 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
I tried to watch a few laps and it was more of the same old, same old. Ugly cars plodding around. Castroneves is a phoney. (Jimmy Vasser once listed him as one of his favourite actors.)

Open wheel racing in North America is dead. Thanks Tony.
Don't ever believe that times don't change and a image is as important in racing has other sports.This isn't the day when whether a actor or race driver or any other you can hide your deeds. You have to spend more time cultivating a image others did for you in the past by influence. It requires large sponsored dollars and sponsors want more than just winning a race for their dollars.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:55 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,859,160 times
Indy car racing is dying because all the good young drivers want to race NASCAR. Doesn't matter if you hate NASCAR but all racing is a show and NASCAR puts on the best show. More different winners, many lead changes, drivers starting in the back and still able to win races. That almost never happens in open wheel racing.
You can call stock cars outdated taxi cabs if you like but that fact remains that they still put on a better show than any open wheel serious.

There was a time when NASCAR teams were dragging around the country to any track that would have them beat up cars that looked like they came out of the junk yards.

If you don't have 20-50M don't even think about being a team owner. Then you need sponsors.

I was an Indy car fan years back and went to every race in my area and cheered on AJ Foyt and later Mario Andretti but those days of great open wheel racing are gone , except for the INDY 500 and that doesn't sell out like it once did.

Blaming Tony George is stupid if you want to blame somebody for the demise of open wheel, blame Bill France.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:07 PM

277 posts, read 233,075 times
I disagree. Do you honestly think that if back in 1994 Tony George didn't throw his tantrum IndyCar would be in the death throws it is in now? Hardly. All you have to do is to look at the ratings and attendance for the 1996 Indy 500. They plummeted.

Bill France, and to a degree Bernie Ecclestone share a bit of the responsibility of the death of IndyCar. But it was the one man who decided to 'fix' IndyCar. Tony George is responsible for killing one of the most exciting racing series the world has ever seen. To think otherwise is delusional.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:37 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,859,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
I disagree. Do you honestly think that if back in 1994 Tony George didn't throw his tantrum IndyCar would be in the death throws it is in now? Hardly. All you have to do is to look at the ratings and attendance for the 1996 Indy 500. They plummeted.

Bill France, and to a degree Bernie Ecclestone share a bit of the responsibility of the death of IndyCar. But it was the one man who decided to 'fix' IndyCar. Tony George is responsible for killing one of the most exciting racing series the world has ever seen. To think otherwise is delusional.
Thanks for letting me know I am delusional because I disagree with you.

You pretty new here so rather than read any more of your drivel I am sending you right to my ignore list, probably the fastest to the list.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:35 PM

563 posts, read 428,477 times
Lots of rain in Alabama. Anybody watching?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,718,699 times
I missed it again because I had another race.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:08 PM

563 posts, read 428,477 times
Hunter-Reay beats Marco Andretti under caution in rather wet conditions.
Hunter-Reay makes it two wins in a row at Barber

Kind of boring, and must have been maddening for those in back of the leaders. Very low visibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing