Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 PM

693 posts, read 1,107,727 times

Advertisements

How does Pocono even get 2 NCSC races a year? And those two races are way too close together. It really is a boring track no matter the series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
How does Pocono even get 2 NCSC races a year? And those two races are way too close together. It really is a boring track no matter the series.
I like Pocono, but wouldn't be opposed to them dropping one of the dates as long as they dump 1 each from Michigan and Loudon, too.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
The reason Pocono has two races so close together is because in that area of the Poconos you only have two months of decent weather. I have been there in June and you freeze your nuts off in the morning.

But you are right they should dump one of those dates and come back to Rockingham, NC where the real Nascar fans live. Just don't try to run a race here in the winter.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,727 times
It seriously makes no sense that Pocono gets two cup races. If I put on my tin foil hat, I begin to wonder about what sort of transactions are going on behind the scene. I am curious if the family who runs/operates Pocono is connected to organized crime in any way.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The reason Pocono has two races so close together is because in that area of the Poconos you only have two months of decent weather. I have been there in June and you freeze your nuts off in the morning.

But you are right they should dump one of those dates and come back to Rockingham, NC where the real Nascar fans live. Just don't try to run a race here in the winter.
i agree, in fact i think nascar needs to go back to having the old bull rings on their schedule. when i first started watching nascar, the only races televised were the big tracks. later when more races were televised, i didnt like the short tracks at first, but i grew to actually like them, and was disappointed at their passing for the most part.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:18 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
Quote:
It seriously makes no sense that Pocono gets two cup races. If I put on my tin foil hat, I begin to wonder about what sort of transactions are going on behind the scene. I am curious if the family who runs/operates Pocono is connected to organized crime in any way.
Sheesh.

There are two reasons:

1) Anti-Trust. NASCAR is basically run by the France family and they also control ISC, which owns the most tracks that holds NASCAR races. Because of this conflict, the France family and ISC can basically screw a lot of tracks out of races. But if they do so, they'll likely be sued for anti-trust violations because the race tracks will lose a lot of their value. SMI is another big race track company and they have the funds to sue ISC and NASCAR for years and the tens of millions of dollars it would be necessary to win an anti-trust suit. So ISC and NASCAR sort of have an unstated rule that tracks with historical races will keep them, unless their owners want to move their races. So if a track wants another NASCAR race, they have to buy an existing track with one and move the race (i.e. Rockingham).

2) Loyalty. NASCAR used to be all short tracks and a lot of them were on dirt. They wanted track owners to build superspeedways, but they were too expensive and had little utility outside of the NASCAR races. The family that owns Pocono were one of the early builders of a superspeedway for NASCAR and the only one above the Mason-Dixon line for a while. They almost went bankrupt several times back when NASCAR needed big tracks. Part of the unwritten agreement back then was if you build a superspeedway, NASCAR would give you 2 or more races (this is back when they had 50-60 races on the schedule, while only 5-6 were superspeedways). NASCAR isn't going to destroy one of the early supporters of NASCAR (Pocono is still family owned) to put a race in another corporate track race. If that family sells to ISC, SMI or another big corporation, NASCAR would be OK with moving those races if they wanted to. Also, the owners of Pocono were big supporters of the France family for generations and the France family still has a tremendous amount of influence on NASCAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing