U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 11:46 PM

273 posts, read 348,781 times

Advertisements

In your travels and experience, what cities out there are TRULY "NASCAR Cities," or even just very racing-oriented metros?

I'm not just talking about a city that hosts a Sprint Cup track and turns out for the event in full twice a year. I'm talking about cities that exude NASCAR culture and are chock-full of fans.

Obviously anything within 50 miles of Charlotte will be among the options. 90% of the teams are based down there and I believe all the drivers have at least one residence in the region. Let's ignore that clear choice.

Hallmarks of a true "NASCAR City" may include the following:

Tracks of some kind nearby (Not necessarily Sprint Cup)
Multiple hobby shops for diecast and RC collectors
Bars and restaurants that are either NASCAR themed or have huge mutual fanbases with NASCAR fans
More people wearing their driver's colors in public than not
Local businesses and employers with NASCAR support, incentives, etc.

Bonus points if you know someplace like this not in the traditional South.

I'm a huge NASCAR fan and wear it on my sleeve so it's easy for me to make the occasional NASCAR buddy just by being me. It doesn't happen often though here in Central Ohio. I'll be traveling more over the next few years and would feel comfortable in a NASCAR city for a visit. I go to plenty of races; I just haven't been around Brooklyn/Jackson, Martinsville, The Poconos, Bristol, etc. when it's NOT race weekend to see if these towns would be like that.

More bonus points: What cities are primarily known for NASCAR (such as Martinsville, Bristol, Darlington) but SHOULD be known for other cool things?

I anticipate a good discussion!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 12:30 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,220,455 times
the small southern cities that host a race might qualify (Bristol, Martinsville, Talladega) but the larger ones certainly do not (Atlanta, Daytona)...

I have been to almost all and none really stick out as NASCAR cities.. unless its race weekend.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:53 PM

273 posts, read 348,781 times
I intend on visiting Bristol outside of race weekends sometime in the near future. Strikes me as a nice town.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:46 AM

1,578 posts, read 981,531 times
BuckeyeP,
I'm probably stating the obvious but.. I notice the NASCAR fanbase usually lies in the 'burbs, or rural stretches outside the large Southern cities.

I'm gonna nominate SouthEastern VA, again mostly outside of the urban areas of Norfolk, Newport News, etc.. more like Suffolk, Smithfield, Ivor, etc.. I've lived in and out of Va Beach & Norfolk for years and I'm forever seeing NASCAR number stickers on people's cars when I head out on 460 or 58West (and around the Beach).

There was also a good-sized NASCAR merchandise store in Va Beach back in the 90s (Pembroke Mall). I took for granted how popular NASCAR was until I moved to the West Coast, and saw that there are areas where interest is lower, or less visible.. (peace)

Old 10-01-2014, 08:42 AM

6 posts, read 6,574 times
Id agree with Virginia.Its a state..not a city..but there is so much NASCAR stuff going on.Richmond id say ranks with Charlotte as far as a town with auto racing fever(RIR used to host all 3 top NASCAR series,K&N,ARCA,IROC and not to mention IRL visiting.NHRA,IHRA all visit the area from time to time and our old bullring Southside Speedway still draws sizable crowds.The top series in NASCAR has been coming to Richmond since the early 50s and the Sportsman(Busch/Nationwide/XFINITY)has been coming to Richmond since its inception.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 26 days ago)

58,169 posts, read 40,957,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
I intend on visiting Bristol outside of race weekends sometime in the near future. Strikes me as a nice town.
I'd suggest going when the NHRA traveling circus is in town

Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,162,183 times
Outside of Charlotte, none. NASCAR is popular among rural America, its not popular in cities. People in cities refer to NASCAR and its fans as "rednecks." Especially cities with warm climates & beaches. Take LA or Miami for example, you have warm weather, multiple sports teams, and beaches with baby dolls. Now, unless you're an absolute tool, you're not gonna watch cars go around circles when you have other and better options

Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 AM

9,071 posts, read 15,026,816 times
I am thinking you are wondering if there are many cities with a Nascar/racing fanbase that treat Nascar like cities normally treat their stick and ball sports.

Nascar is just different, as the rooting interest is more about drivers and not where the series is being run that week. Enjoying and rooting for Nascar is more like following the Harlem Globe Trotters, WWE, or other "touring" events that go from one city to the next. They may be very popular in a particular city, but since the sport is not representing that city, the city does not really take on the identity of the sport like they do with their hometown teams.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:02 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Charlotte and Daytona I associate with NASCAR. No race is as important as Daytona to drivers or fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or