U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should NASCAR implement team championships?
Yes! Add team victories and championships. 1 12.50%
No. Leave NASCAR the way it is. 6 75.00%
At least NASCAR should consider it. 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2014, 01:43 PM
 
684 posts, read 617,987 times
Reputation: 867

Advertisements

Make NASCAR more competitive between owners and drivers. By having, not just individual victories and championships, but team victories and championships as well. In which a point system would have to be implemented to calculate how teams would win. And then at the end of every race, the individual who won would hoist a trophy, and then so would the team.

The impact this would have on NASCAR. Because within races your favorite driver may not nor may ever be in the heat of competition. But with a team points system, every single driver will always be in the competition. Adding full throttle to the intensity and meaning of every race. And giving fans not just individual drivers to cheer for, but entire teams.

Owners would love this. In having teams named after their honor. And victories, trophies, and championships as well. Making them compete all the more to get the best drivers on their team.

I think NASCAR needs this, it would add so much more of a fan interest to the sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2014, 06:58 PM
 
Location: NY
9,071 posts, read 15,035,708 times
Reputation: 11504
We can call it the "Rick Hendrick" award as his name would be all over it.

The change I would rather see is scrapping all these new wrinkles they have put in. The chase, lucky dogs, wave arounds... lets get back to how racing and championships were run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 PM
 
32,452 posts, read 26,325,155 times
Reputation: 19069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
We can call it the "Rick Hendrick" award as his name would be all over it.

The change I would rather see is scrapping all these new wrinkles they have put in. The chase, lucky dogs, wave arounds... lets get back to how racing and championships were run.
some of these things i dont mind actually. i would rather see three or four guys in the hunt on th elast day of the season for the championship, than what it used to be before the chase where the points leader only had to start the race to win the championship, or just finish 18th. it made for a boring race as the points leader was just going fast enough to run high enough in the points for the entire race. at least this year four guys are going to shoot it out for the championship.

the lucky dog deal is a safety issue, to keep people from racing back to the yellow, and causing other problems. and the wave around is legit also, solong as the leaders pit and you dont, but then you run the risk of not getting a timely caution to stay on the lead lap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,867,158 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Make NASCAR more competitive between owners and drivers. By having, not just individual victories and championships, but team victories and championships as well. In which a point system would have to be implemented to calculate how teams would win. And then at the end of every race, the individual who won would hoist a trophy, and then so would the team.

The impact this would have on NASCAR. Because within races your favorite driver may not nor may ever be in the heat of competition. But with a team points system, every single driver will always be in the competition. Adding full throttle to the intensity and meaning of every race. And giving fans not just individual drivers to cheer for, but entire teams.

Owners would love this. In having teams named after their honor. And victories, trophies, and championships as well. Making them compete all the more to get the best drivers on their team.

I think NASCAR needs this, it would add so much more of a fan interest to the sport.
No, dumb idea.

If you don't like NASCAR go find another sport.

Here is a better idea.

The NASCAR rules committee and arbitration board should consist of a manufacturers rep from every manufacturer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 AM
 
684 posts, read 617,987 times
Reputation: 867
No, it's not a dumb idea. So much of NASCAR is already based on teams and teammates. But only for individuals to get all the glory. And all this would do is to calculate how team's as a whole could win. This takes nothing away from NASCAR. It only adds unto its competition.

At the end of every year, only but a select few drivers are in the chase for the championship. With the rest of the drivers basically being irrelevant, racing for no real reasons, and no real incentives. But add team victories and a championship. And then every driver in the field still has something to race for.

Last edited by Truly Missouri; 08-01-2014 at 08:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 AM
 
16,720 posts, read 14,695,871 times
Reputation: 41122
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
No, dumb idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2014, 10:46 AM
 
684 posts, read 617,987 times
Reputation: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
No, dumb idea.

If you don't like NASCAR go find another sport.
.

And sadly, as you have said, many people are finding other sports. Because when their favorite drivers are no longer in contention, and are only racing for no reasons whatsoever. Their fans stop watching NASCAR. And so trying to maintain a following for all fan bases to continually watch NASCAR is not a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 AM
 
692 posts, read 882,337 times
Reputation: 1758
Not a good idea, it is comparing apples to oranges. How do you stack up one driver in something like Frank Stoddard's Go FAS team against four Hendricks drivers? Furthermore, how do you compare three drivers on an underperforming, underfunded team like BK Racing against a well-funded, three-driver team like Roush Fenway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,279 posts, read 2,322,033 times
Reputation: 4457
Only 1 car per owner. No more "team work", teammates blocking othere that are faster. No more chase. The dumbest thing NASCAR has ever come up with. Owners with 5 or more cars in a race. Thats not racing to me. You really, really want to make it interesting. No more communication from driver to pits, or to other drivers. Only pits, or NASCAR to driver. Mainly for safety reasons. Will make pitstops waaaay more interesting. Like Keystone Cops. Will make racing like it use to be. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,222,778 times
Reputation: 4582
The teams are just not even. How can a 1 car team compete with a 4 car team. They have a hard time today just finishing in the top 15...

I am not a big fan of multi car teams but it is what it is..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top