U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times

Advertisements

The one bit of conjecture I'm honestly tired of hearing is that Stewart "gunned his car." How do we even know that was his car? The accident happened at the exit of turn 2 and the person taking the video I saw was seated at the entrance of turn 1. How do we know the engine noise wasn't coming from a car out of frame near where the spectator was seated? We don't.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:35 PM

2,757 posts, read 2,371,487 times
I wonder if now that Tony has had time to reflect if he sees a younger version of himself in Ward? You know, young guy with a hot temper, trying to work his way up in the Spring car series. Interesting recap below of something Stewart did when he was a young driver. Sound familiar?

Quote:
Eventually Kenny crashed me bad enough to where I couldn't get it to move."

When that happened, Stewart's No. 20 car came to a smoldering stop across the center of the corner. He got out and stood angrily on the track waiting for Irwin's car to pass under caution. The crowd erupted: The balls on this rookie!

"I reached in his car and tried to grab hold of him," says Stewart. "Wasn't a very smart thing to do.
Page 2 of Up Close With Tony Stewart, NASCAR's Nastiest Driver | Rolling Stone

Old 08-12-2014, 01:37 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,366,809 times
Ive watched it a few more times and hope they release the other video. I don't think TS tried to hit him on purpose but rather speed past him to avoid having an altercation with him. He saw the kid. He knew the kid was upset and was out of the car in order to have it out with him. If he was going slow enough and the kid got in front he would have had to have stopped and dealt with him. That means unbuckling and getting out and have to throw down. Im not saying TS was scared to face him or anything like that - he just didn't want to deal with the BS and blow his racing zone. So his orginal intent was to just drive right past the kid who was dumb enough to get too close thinking TS would slow down or get out and want to fight. By the time both men realized what the other was doing, it was too late.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,272,361 times
I am sure that in the course of the coroner's autopsy, the body will undergo a toxicology screen, for blood alcohol percentage and any ingested drugs. I wonder what it will reveal ?

A further consideration...........Did any of the sprint cars in that race, have an on board video camera ? I hope that the local Police were smart enough to check for that possibility, and seize any cameras that were on any of the race cars.

A final point, and please know that I raced for many years, on oval tracks in my own area, in Ontario, from the 1970's to the late 90's. I strongly suggest that all racing sanctioning bodies institute a simple rule. If you get out of your car, on the track, you are disqualified, for the rest of the season. Obviously, if you car is on FIRE, that rule doesn't apply. And the act of fighting by any one , at a track, will be treated just the same as if it happened on Main Street. Criminal charges, and court appearances, and if convicted, jail time, too.

Oval Track Racing at all levels has to clean up it's reputation.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 AM

983 posts, read 1,366,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The one bit of conjecture I'm honestly tired of hearing is that Stewart "gunned his car." How do we even know that was his car? The accident happened at the exit of turn 2 and the person taking the video I saw was seated at the entrance of turn 1. How do we know the engine noise wasn't coming from a car out of frame near where the spectator was seated? We don't.
And even if he did, it could have been to take avoiding action. These cars have bigger tires on the right side and drivers use throttle to help with steering. They don't handle like a regular car at all. They look like a nightmare to drive on a straight line.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 AM

764 posts, read 1,573,504 times
Tony Stewart is a Dirty Driver and should be held accountable for his actions, he was the most experienced driver on that course and had the opportunity to slow down and avoid hitting Ward, period.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:17 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Certainly the actions of the victim show he has a temper to walkout on racing line. Car just in front of Stewart almost hit him as new video shows.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 PM

764 posts, read 1,573,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I am sure that in the course of the coroner's autopsy, the body will undergo a toxicology screen, for blood alcohol percentage and any ingested drugs. I wonder what it will reveal ?
Where is Tony Stewart's toxicology screening/drug test immediately after he ran that kid down??!!

Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 PM

8,787 posts, read 7,707,284 times
I saw an excellent article on this incident by someone knowledgeable about sprint cars. We can't use our normal criteria to judge TS actions. These cars handle much differently than a normal car. I don't quite understand it, but apparently, in order to turn left with this car, you have to steer right and gun the engine. It was this fellows opinion that there was nothing TS could do to avoid the accident. Remember they are on a dirt track. If you have any experience driving on dirt or snow, you know that the handling of the car changes significantly, and on a race car its quite different as it has much more power than a standard auto and therefore is more unstable. Apparently, if TS had turned hard left to avoid the man, the rear of the car would have still spun out to the right and still hit the man.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 PM

51,946 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Tony Stewart is a Dirty Driver and should be held accountable for his actions, he was the most experienced driver on that course and had the opportunity to slow down and avoid hitting Ward, period.
What's your racing experience? Dirt Track? With helmet and dirt on your windshield?

Or are you claiming he used a mind control ray to make the guy walk out in the middle of the track.

Please, enlighten us with the thought process that was behind your claim.

Yee haw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or