U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:43 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,379,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
Retaliation for what?
Well, in the prior lap Tony Stewart clipped the guy and spun him out (I am not sure what transpired before that). Then TS came back around and the guy was shaking his fist at him. So TS swung toward him. He does retaliation moves like that all the time.

Also, they were under caution; the yellow flag was out. The other cars were driving by slowly, so I think that's why the guy didn't think he was going to be run over walking onto the track. But TS gunned his engine a little bit and swerved toward him. If you look at the car that went by right before Tony Stewart he was moving slowly. Tony Stewart was faster.

And like someone else said, why were all the other cars able to miss the guy and TS, who just happened to be the one in a confrontation with the guy on the prior lap and was the reason the guy was out of his car walking onto the track, hit him? I personally think TS intended to swerve toward him and throw dirt on the guy, and instead he hit him.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:50 PM

3,723 posts, read 4,588,543 times
Retaliation for shaking his fist? Seriously?

Old 08-10-2014, 02:51 PM

2,746 posts, read 2,367,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Article about Tony Stewart's temper and conflicts with other drivers:

Tony Stewart's Temper Often Resulted In Conflict With Other Drivers
Yup, I remember that when Stewart approached Matt Kenseths moving car while Stewart was on foot. Then in the interview Stewart said "I'm going to run over him every chance I got from now to the end of the year, every chance I got."

Notice that Kenseth had the decency to not speed up & swerve at Stewart, like Stewart did to Ward.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:04 PM

1,694 posts, read 1,493,429 times
My thought after watching the video a number of times was that Stewart was trying to scare or intimidate the other driver with a sudden burst of acceleration but on the dirt surface his car fishtailed a bit and he hit Ward. Stewart did not intend to hit Ward but it still might be a case of a criminal act, something like involuntary manslaughter. I think a case could be made that Stewart was trying to speed by Ward to avoid some kind of confrontation, but that looks like the lesser of the two possibilities, given what I see in the video.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
My thought after watching the video a number of times was that Stewart was trying to scare or intimidate the other driver with a sudden burst of acceleration but on the dirt surface his car fishtailed a bit and he hit Ward. Stewart did not intend to hit Ward but it still might be a case of a criminal act, something like involuntary manslaughter. I think a case could be made that Stewart was trying to speed by Ward to avoid some kind of confrontation, but that looks like the lesser of the two possibilities, given what I see in the video.
I agree with everything you said. Except as an experienced driver, I think Stewart knee his car was going to fishtail if he accelerated. I think he just misjudged/miscalculated his timing and hit the kid instead of just intimidating him.

I can see involuntary manslaughter charges and/or wrongful death filed by the family.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:52 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,219,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yep, and he has a history of trying to teach other drivers a lesson or getting back at them. He intentionally spins other drivers out and puts them in the wall. He is a pretty dirty driver.

This article The 20 Dirtiest Drivers in NASCAR History | Bleacher Report ranks him as the 5th dirtiest Nascar driver of all time, with Dale Earnhardt Jr. being #1.
I knew that Jr was not #1. Its Dale Earnhardt Sr who is #1, which I am sure you meant to write...
I am still a bit speechless about this incident. It's bad.. real bad.

I certainly don't think Stewart intended to hit Ward but its obvious he made no move to avoid him. One things for sure, NASCAR will likely start laying down heavy fines for drivers that walk onto the track to gesture at other drivers.. We have all seen this dozens of times ...

Old 08-10-2014, 03:53 PM

684 posts, read 617,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Retaliation for shaking his fist? Seriously?

It's racing. So of course. There's retaliation for everything in racing.

But in fairness to Tony, I don't think he meant to hit him. Though the video however looks bad, it looks very bad.

Other drivers didn't hit the kid. But the kid wasn't trying to get in front of those other drivers cars. He was only trying to contest Tony's. And so some responsibility needs to be on the kid, you just don't walk around on the track like that, looking to contest any car for that matter. Because it's the competitive nature of racing: retaliation, bumps, scare tactics will always continue.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:15 PM

9,968 posts, read 9,810,430 times
I don't understand how some people seem to know it was Stewart's car revving just before Kevin Ward got struck. Furthermore, just before Stewart's car drives by, the previous car looked to me as though it was driving the same line as Stewart's, and not as though Stewart was driving an unusually high line.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:02 PM

684 posts, read 617,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I don't understand how some people seem to know it was Stewart's car revving just before Kevin Ward got struck. Furthermore, just before Stewart's car drives by, the previous car looked to me as though it was driving the same line as Stewart's, and not as though Stewart was driving an unusually high line.
Yea I also saw another car go by in the higher middle-groove. Though with with Tony there did appear to be a veer at the last moment. And it is impossible to say that that revving of the engine was his.

I've been trying to search for more videos on this, I'm surprised that thus far there is only one out. But we'll just have to be patient I guess.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I knew that Jr was not #1. Its Dale Earnhardt Sr who is #1, which I am sure you meant to write...
I am still a bit speechless about this incident. It's bad.. real bad.

I certainly don't think Stewart intended to hit Ward but its obvious he made no move to avoid him. One things for sure, NASCAR will likely start laying down heavy fines for drivers that walk onto the track to gesture at other drivers.. We have all seen this dozens of times ...
Yeah, I did mean Dale Earnhardt Sr., not Jr.

I don't think he intended to hit him, either. But as you say, he wasn't avoiding him, either, and I think he swerved at him - again, not intending to actually hit him. But he did. And Stewart is guilty also of walking out on the track. He did it one time to throw his helmet at the car of a driver he was angry with.

But in general, walking out onto the track during a caution shouldn't be dangerous. There are workers cleaning up the track during cautions and they don't get hit. There are drivers who wrecked getting out of their cars and walking to pit road during a caution, and they don't get hit. This was more about tempers flaring than walking on the track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or