Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
TS is an experienced veteran driver, hence, he could have avoided hitting Ward plain and simple. I hope TS pays for this in more ways than one.

Stewart may not be out of the legal woods yet, CBS News legal analyst Jack Ford told "CBS This Morning."

"They're going to look at all possibilities here," Ford said. "There could be some type of charges out of here that don't focus on intent."
In other words, Stewart might have not meant it, but there is still the possibility of charges like criminally negligent homicide if prosecutors can prove Stewart was "ignoring obvious risk," Ford said.

Stewart got in a helmet-throwing incident two years ago and made a statement that could play a role here: "I checked up twice not to run over him. And I learned my lesson there, and I'm going to run over him every chance I got until the end of the year. Every chance I got."

What's next for Tony Stewart after fatal track accident? - CBS News
Kevin Ward was negligent in leaving his car and charging down the track into oncoming traffic.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:28 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Kevin Ward was negligent in leaving his car and charging down the track into oncoming traffic.
As was Stewart in the past

Tony Stewart: Raising smoke with a hard driving life - CNN.com

Old 08-12-2014, 07:44 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
I don't like Tony Stuart, arrogant, know it all, crybaby but extremely talented race car driver.
Did he run over the other driver on purpose? Only TS knows for sure.

If he did, put him in jail and fine him. If he didn't then let him go free and clear.

But nobody on this site knows what really happened. You can blame it on the kid for walking out on the track and waving his finger at Stuart but drivers do that all the time without getting run over.

I can see why some here want to blame Stuart completely because he is guilty of being a jerk and an obnoxious bore but that does not make him guilty of manslaughter.

If TS is charged with a crime it is because people smarter than us and in charge think it is appropriate.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Wasn't quite the same situation, plus hundreds of drivers have done this in the past at small tracks and large across our nation. As far as we know, this is the first time someone was killed because of it.

When Sterling Marlin bumped Dale Earnhardt Sr causing the crash that ended Sr. life, no charges were brought against Marlin. It did make major improvements to safety (as accidents usually do) and no doubt has saved many other drivers over the years since.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't like Tony Stuart, arrogant, know it all, crybaby but extremely talented race car driver.
Did he run over the other driver on purpose? Only TS knows for sure.

If he did, put him in jail and fine him. If he didn't then let him go free and clear.

But nobody on this site knows what really happened. You can blame it on the kid for walking out on the track and waving his finger at Stuart but drivers do that all the time without getting run over.

I can see why some here want to blame Stuart completely because he is guilty of being a jerk and an obnoxious bore but that does not make him guilty of manslaughter.

If TS is charged with a crime it is because people smarter than us and in charge think it is appropriate.
Your characterization of Tony's arrogance and being a crybaby is no longer on point. Tony may have portrayed that behavior in the past, but hasn't recently. When is the last time you seen Tony act that way since becoming an owner?

Is it possible that Tony still flashes signs of anger when we don't see him in public? Sure. Heck, if someone cuts me off on the highway, I used to get all pissed off about it. But now, I don't as much. It's stupid to get angry over it and most of us learn from our mistakes. People do change and Tony has mellowed quite a bit over the past couple of years.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:25 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Your characterization of Tony's arrogance and being a crybaby is no longer on point. Tony may have portrayed that behavior in the past, but hasn't recently. When is the last time you seen Tony act that way since becoming an owner?
I don't know, when was the last time he ran up front for the win or somebody did something he didn't like, like waving a finger at him?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't know, when was the last time he ran up front for the win or somebody did something he didn't like, like waving a finger at him?
It's been a long time for both obviously.

The one person we know for sure that was angry Saturday night was Kevin Ward.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:01 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,349 times
Quote:
Well, how did every other driver manage to avoid him but Tony?
Perhaps because he seeked Tony out while pointing his finger at him. I think this was a tragic accident, he never should have put his life in jeopardy by walking in the middle of a track of an ongoing race.

Very sad.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 AM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Several current and former Sprint Car drivers are now speaking out saying that in order to make a Sprint Cup turn left you have to "goose" or rev the engine. It is possible that Tony was trying at the last minute to avoid Kevin as he charged down the track. These drivers also confirmed that peripheral vision is limited in these cars and helmets.

So to jump to a conclusion without all of the facts is not good. Still as I mentioned earlier, no matter what the criminal/civil outcome will be, TS image has been tarnished forever.
Good to hear from ACTUAL EXPERTS that have driven dirt track.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Well, how did every other driver manage to avoid him but Tony?
Other drivers have mentioned that the 45 car in front of Tony swerved at the last moment to avoid the still "charging" Ward. But Kevin kept coming closer to the line Tony was traveling and at the very last second Tony goosed the car to swerve and avoid a collision with Kevin's body, but Kevin was too close to Tony's car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing