U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:36 AM

10,008 posts, read 9,833,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Tony Stewart hit and killed driver Kevin Ward Jr., who walked toward Stewart's sprint car Saturday night after the two had an altercation at Canandaigua (N.Y.) Motorsports Park, according to authorities, witnesses and video of the tragedy.
Tony Stewart hits, kills walking driver on sprint-car track - NASCAR - Sporting News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJd...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-10-2014, 04:40 AM

32,064 posts, read 13,094,401 times
I don't know how long the video will be available. Tragic accident. I think he swerved to miss him and the car fish-tailed.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:45 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,272,361 times
Bad move on the part of the driver of the 13 car, running out into the middle of the track, into traffic, that was still moving fast. No body who races at any level, should do that. I can understand being mad about being spun out, but that does not mean that you should endanger your own life, because of being angry.

I feel for Stewart. He was put in a horrible situation, and trying to stop a dirt car, and or avoid a person on foot, is not easy. I would think that a criminal investigation, by the county Police, and or NY State Police will follow. As will a coroner's inquest, into the death.

I know where this track is, a small place in upstate New York. TS is well known for racing at small town tracks, where his fame and name draw big crowds. He comes to my part of Ontario, Canada, twice a year, to race at Oshweekan Speedway, on the Six Nations Reserve.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:13 AM

2,757 posts, read 2,372,427 times
2 things.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Tony accelerates when he approaches Ward whereas none of the other cars did when they drove by Ward who was on foot. Perhaps it was the sound of another car & it wasn't Stewarts car.

2. I'm a little surprised he is going back to racing today. I know he is trying to get in the chase before the cutoff date, but come on, it's been less than 13-14 hours since he killed a man.

Stewart will race today. "It's business as usual" Zipadelli said
NASCAR's Stewart hits, kills driver on NY track | Mail Online

Old 08-10-2014, 06:14 AM

51,697 posts, read 13,083,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Bad move on the part of the driver of the 13 car, running out into the middle of the track, into traffic, that was still moving fast. No body who races at any level, should do that. I can understand being mad about being spun out, but that does not mean that you should endanger your own life, because of being angry.

Jim B. In Toronto.
I agree.

I'm a little surprised that Tony, will be driving today. I know it's business and all but he's got to feel like s__t today and shouldn't be racing. JMO

RIP, Kevin.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:28 AM

3,723 posts, read 4,592,227 times
Racers race. That's just what they have always done. It's terrible for the young man who was killed and for his family. It's just not smart for drivers to try to confront one another on hot tracks and it's time for NASCAR and other divisions to start fining and suspending drivers who do it, or this will happen again. In fact I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,961,954 times
Tragic event and Stewarts celebrity status is going to make this a sensationalized story no matter what the circumstances were.

I am not one to judge.......but business as usual and not taking the day off is going to have a polarizing effect on Tony. Just my opinion, and I have no clue what is going on in his head right now.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:48 AM

23,647 posts, read 33,445,874 times
As someone who followed Tony Stewart throughout his career, I don't think he intended to hit the guy. Stewart is a hothead and a little spicy in his talk but nothing I've seen out of him in his past makes me think he intended to hit the guy. However, I think since a man lost his life, I think he should be prosecuted for manslaughter, not murder, and have a jury decide.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:02 AM

3,692 posts, read 5,851,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
............... However, I think since a man lost his life, I think he should be prosecuted for manslaughter, not murder, and have a jury decide.
Rather than automatically charge somebody with manslaughter, I think the proper procedure is to first have an investigation.

When somebody in black walking on a dimly lit live race track is clipped, especially when that person seemed to be moving toward the car that did the clipping, the investigators might find that no charges are warranted.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:03 AM

17,298 posts, read 10,206,664 times
Well, how did every other driver manage to avoid him but Tony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or