Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whats the issue?
The points system 10 45.45%
The races are too long 8 36.36%
Too many rule changes 9 40.91%
"New School" drivers 5 22.73%
Prices of the races 5 22.73%
Nothing is wrong 3 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:40 AM

49 posts, read 64,112 times

Advertisements

Growing up, I loved watching NASCAR with my grandfather. We would watch Dale and hate on Gordon every Sunday it seemed. I remember eating at the start, going outside playing ball for a few hours, checking on the race during my rests, and coming back in and watching the final 50 laps or so. Good memories.

As I got older 2000-2005 I recall loving the NASCAR games and playing them with my friends, starting season, etc. Although it was never our favorite sport, we still hardly ever missed too many races, or at least checked to see what was going on.

Now that I'm in my 20's my friends and I who once loved watched, playing the games, and attending the races, find ourselves watching 1 race, for maybe an hour (Daytona 500), even my grandpa who was a fan for decades has not watched a race in years.

Why?

Maybe its nostalgia? I tried to get back into it every year it seems and I fail, the chase is an interesting concept, but Idk if its the answer. I used to love close Winston Cup chases or having 1 guy way far out and watching each week the pursuit to catch him.

Maybe its too much change? It seems every year I have no idea what is going on with the points system, nor do I see the justification and the results needed for it.

Star power? 10 years ago I knew every drivers story, from the upper card (Elliot, Dale, Jeff, Jarret) to the midcard (Burton, Kevin, Newman, Marlin) to the lower tier (Sheppard, LaJoy). Now, I just don't see that power. I know that's arguable, but just my opinion.

Maybe time has passed? Maybe in the age of quick action, the races are just too long, similar to the problem MLB is seeing right now.

NASCAR is a sport with so much history, and it bothers me to see the empty seats in the stands, networks not wanting to show races, sponsors wanting out, and most of all not being appealing to more and more people.

So I ask, whats your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 11:06 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,696,207 times
I think drivers are starting to get many fails.though nascar might be the only form of car racing loved by americans.is still pretty good.a lot of drivers are quitting also.not to mention that also injuries are increasing there.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:13 PM

156 posts, read 243,324 times
None of the above. The problem I have with NASCAR is the absolutely disgusting and ridiculous playoff system implimented this year.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:38 PM

49 posts, read 64,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
None of the above. The problem I have with NASCAR is the absolutely disgusting and ridiculous playoff system implimented this year.
It was terrible

Old 11-29-2014, 08:35 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,526,809 times
Stop the chase and go by points only as to champion. That what I'd like but I could be wrong money wise as NASCAR has been every successful for a racing series in country .F1 finally had to seek money from cost in new countries. Indy Car is not race competitive now days. One series of racing dominates; so yes I could be wrong .

Old 12-01-2014, 02:12 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,305,805 times
When NASCAR started tayloring it's races to the younger generation by having four built in demo derbys every year attendance went through the roof but young people tire easily and are always looking for a newer game. Most of the crashfest fans are gone being replaced by empty seats. NASCARS answer is to charge more to make up for the loss but they are losing it's true fan base.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,630,684 times
I enjoyed this past NASCAR season as much as I have any in recent memory (Could be because JR won a race or 2?)! I went to 4 races and still find that NASCAR gives you more bang for your buck than any other major sport by far!

Still, there are some things that irk some. Some races can be too long and the rule changes that can come at any time during the season can be bit overbearing. Some of the drivers can be a bit whiney... there are a few too many prima donnas. There have always been drivers that I didn't like but most of them were not whiners like some we see today.

I been watching for 30 plus years and have no issue with the Chase format. The interest in the Homestead finale was higher than it has been in years. Every sport has to evolve some... the drivers change, the cars change, the tracks change why can't the points system change? I don't get the gripe about that.... had Newman won then I might have complained myself but Harvick was easily the best driver/team this year so all is good plus every sport will occasionally have an underdog or Cinderella sneak up and win a title. My only complaint about the Chase is the number of teams/drivers that have to be in... I think that if you don't win a race, your not in the chase... that way, no winless driver will ever win the Championship.

As for cost, no other major sport gives you more bang for your buck than a NASCAR race and its not close. When is the last time you went to a NFL, MLB or NBA game, got to park for FREE and were allowed to bring in a cooler with drinks and snacks?

Old 12-10-2014, 04:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,392,375 times
I don't think there's anything that can be done. From my observation, NASCAR is much like pro wrestling. It had stint of enormous popularity but that popularity didn't last long, (outside its core fan base), and it can't recapture that popularity. I believe there are several reasons for this.

For one, we have busy lives. Most people don't have time nor do they have the attention span to watch cars go around in circles for 4 to 5 hours.

Two, NASCAR is predominantly a "rural" sport. People in places like New York, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Miami, etc., have lots of options of things to do where they live, especially cities with warm climates and beaches, so again why would they stay couped up inside watching cars go around.

Three. NASCAR lacks diversity. Please don't give me Danica Patrick for God's sake! NASCAR has no black, Asian, or Hispanic drivers. This is an issue baseball is struggling with and they have more diversity than NASCAR. Most other sports have openly gay athletes too.

Four. When Dale Sr died so did a lot of the fan base. The core fans. The old school "core" fans related to Dale because he came from nothing and became the face of NASCAR for many years. Dale Sr was still "blue-collar" at heart. He drove race cars on the weekend and worked on his farm during the week. You're not getting that out of baby-face Kyle Busch, or other pretty boys like Jimmie Johnson, you're not! Back in the day, a driver had to prove himself for several years. Hell you didn't even start to become good until you were in your 30's, unlike today.

Five. The economy is not good. Companies are pulling out of racing. With the staggering cost of competition it takes more and more money to fund a team and be competitive, many teams can't do it with just one sponsor. I live in central PA, a hotbed for dirt track sprint car racing, and even at the local level, businesses are getting out of racing. Without sponsors you have no race teams. No matter what level you're at.

Six. As time goes on society changes and society evolves. NASCAR attendance is down and so is the TV viewership. You can't argue numbers!!! ESPN has dropped NASCAR. Trust me, a network like ESPN would not drop NASCAR if there droves of people watching, but there simply isn't. People watching football, (college and pro), which IMO is a better product and also World Cup Soccer is gaining huge popularity among young people, (I don't ever see myself watching world cup),. As time goes people's interest's and tastes change. For example, Pearl Jam isn't as popular now as they were in the 90's. Most people still don't black jeans and flannel either.

The poster that said about it being a "bang for your buck" I have to disagree. I have been to a handful of NASCAR races and I can honestly sitting in the hot sun watching cars go around a track and not being able to hear myself think while surrounded by mostly drunken rednecks for four hours is nowhere near my idea of fun or entertainment nor is it a "bang for my buck."

I live an hour from Beaver Stadium. Penn State hasn't been good in years. I would drive over to Beaver Stadium to watch a game knowing Penn State was gonna lose before I'd go to a NASCAR race again.

NASCAR has tried not to lose fans and I give them credit. I don't think its any one particular thing they've done I think its a combination coupled with changing times

Old 12-11-2014, 06:08 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,392,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

As for cost, no other major sport gives you more bang for your buck than a NASCAR race and its not close. When is the last time you went to a NFL, MLB or NBA game, got to park for FREE and were allowed to bring in a cooler with drinks and snacks?
As for bringing in a cooler, those days, I believe will soon come to an end. I'm actually surprised they haven't already. We live in a post 9/11 world. Pretty much all other major venues no longer allow coolers and bags to be brought in. Also, do you really think all these people that sit during a race and slam beer after beer are getting a designated driver? Probably 95% of them are getting behind the wheel. I believe sporting events should be "dry" or at least ban people from bringing their own alcohol which would force them to purchase it there, which is much more expensive.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:18 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,630,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
As for bringing in a cooler, those days, I believe will soon come to an end. I'm actually surprised they haven't already. We live in a post 9/11 world. Pretty much all other major venues no longer allow coolers and bags to be brought in. Also, do you really think all these people that sit during a race and slam beer after beer are getting a designated driver? Probably 95% of them are getting behind the wheel. I believe sporting events should be "dry" or at least ban people from bringing their own alcohol which would force them to purchase it there, which is much more expensive.
Well the drinking and drivings is another subject all together.. All i know is when i go to Talledega in the Spring, I bring in a cooler with about half dozen (frozen) bottled waters and that alone saves me $24 plus...

I often wonder if they will stop allowing coolers in, its been over a decade since 9/11.. so?
If they were to end that practice, i think it would be predicated off of revenue for the vendors and not safety for the viewers.. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing