U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-13-2015, 10:45 AM
 
Location: NY
9,075 posts, read 15,100,935 times
Reputation: 11521

Advertisements

Comparing Tony Stewart's move to Danica's isn't going to look favorable for Danica either. Tony had fewer Xfinity starts before moving (never having run a full Xfinity season), and was competing for and winning races in his rookie year at the Sprint level. Danica in 89 Sprint races has never finished in the top 5, and has led a total of 20 laps...

She is who she is. A middle of the pack driver. The way Harvick and Busch are racing, I don't think equipment is to blame (as was often blamed during her IndyCar career).

She does not have Championship talent, and never has. She is good enough to run mid pack, pass some cars, not cause disasters, and get the car to the end of the race and back to the garage, and to do it better than half the field. So I think she is good enough to belong there, even if the amount of attention she gets exceeds her talent level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2015, 10:55 AM
 
Location: NY
9,075 posts, read 15,100,935 times
Reputation: 11521
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Bottom line for Danica......her marketability.

I am not slighting Little E in any way.......but can anyone honestly say that before he got onboard with Hendricks, if it had not been for his fathers name and his racing ability (could not seem to break out) he might not have been able to get a ride.

Win or lose Little E is NASCARS cash cow as far as marketability fan adoration.
Not sure I can argue that Jr was not helped by the name over his window, as he really got his chance driving for Sr's team in Busch series. That said, he did win back to back Busch championships too, before going Sprint Cup. So in that regard, it is not like he came out of the weeds in the Busch series to get an undeserved ride. Anyone putting up back to back Busch championships is going to find a ride at the next level.

I do disagree on the move to Hendricks having significantly helped him any. He has seen victory lane far less frequently since going to HMS, than when he drove for DEI. At DEI he had multiple wins a year, nearly every year. Before last year, he had won just twice at HMS (over 6 seasons). Honestly, I think moving to HMS has hurt his reputation as a driver as people assumed he would be more competitive for wins and titles in their vaunted equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2015, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,734 posts, read 4,256,389 times
Reputation: 4712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Not sure I can argue that Jr was not helped by the name over his window, as he really got his chance driving for Sr's team in Busch series. That said, he did win back to back Busch championships too, before going Sprint Cup. So in that regard, it is not like he came out of the weeds in the Busch series to get an undeserved ride. Anyone putting up back to back Busch championships is going to find a ride at the next level.

I do disagree on the move to Hendricks having significantly helped him any. He has seen victory lane far less frequently since going to HMS, than when he drove for DEI. At DEI he had multiple wins a year, nearly every year. Before last year, he had won just twice at HMS (over 6 seasons). Honestly, I think moving to HMS has hurt his reputation as a driver as people assumed he would be more competitive for wins and titles in their vaunted equipment.
agreed. Jr had more wins with DEI and more wins with Eury Sr as his crew chief than any one at Hendrick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,196,579 times
Reputation: 4514
Jr earned his spot in cup, maybe not in Busch as his father gave him that ride. Now were the cars cheated up? Were DEI cars cheated up so he would win? Who knows. Lotta fast and lose with the rules back then and JR having success was important to NASCAR.

The Hendrick move has nothing to do with Earnhardt Sr. DEI was going down the toilet and the sports most popular driver and money maker needed a ride. Basic math there. JR brings more into a car then just a driver. The same holds true with Danica. These owners are rich guys for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
1,715 posts, read 2,728,721 times
Reputation: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Jr earned his spot in cup, maybe not in Busch as his father gave him that ride. Now were the cars cheated up? Were DEI cars cheated up so he would win? Who knows. Lotta fast and lose with the rules back then and JR having success was important to NASCAR.

The Hendrick move has nothing to do with Earnhardt Sr. DEI was going down the toilet and the sports most popular driver and money maker needed a ride. Basic math there. JR brings more into a car then just a driver. The same holds true with Danica. These owners are rich guys for a reason.
Don't forget he would have stayed at DEI if Theresa gave him a 51% stake like he wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 05:56 AM
 
Location: NY
9,075 posts, read 15,100,935 times
Reputation: 11521
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Jr earned his spot in cup, maybe not in Busch as his father gave him that ride. Now were the cars cheated up? Were DEI cars cheated up so he would win? Who knows. Lotta fast and lose with the rules back then and JR having success was important to NASCAR.

The Hendrick move has nothing to do with Earnhardt Sr. DEI was going down the toilet and the sports most popular driver and money maker needed a ride. Basic math there. JR brings more into a car then just a driver. The same holds true with Danica. These owners are rich guys for a reason.
If your not cheating, your not racing. I am not a big buyer into the Nascar conspiracy theories, and figure every team out there is looking for ways to gain an advantage.

Jr is a talented driver. He has never been at the level of guys like Gordon, Johnson, etc, as far as season long consistency and success, but he is consistently competitive at a high level out there (particularly on superspeedways).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,806 posts, read 6,604,689 times
Reputation: 4183
Sadly time is not on Jr's side to win a Cup Championship. He really needs to get on it this year and by all respects he is doing well so far. If Jr would win this year, he would be the oldest at 41 since Dale Jarrett won in 1999 at age 42. Tony Stewart was 39 when he won in 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Island of Misfit Toys
5,066 posts, read 2,196,579 times
Reputation: 4514
Yeah I agree time isn't on his side but I figure he has a couple years to win it all. Definitely easier to get a shot at the end now. On the 51% of DEI - I always assumed that was a way of getting released from DEI. No way in hell she was going to give up control of that company. So an easy out for JR. Look were DEI went. He could see the writing on the wall I'm sure. If not him, his sister certainly did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2015, 10:24 AM
 
32,561 posts, read 26,495,720 times
Reputation: 19187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
If your not cheating, your not racing. I am not a big buyer into the Nascar conspiracy theories, and figure every team out there is looking for ways to gain an advantage.
absolutely right. back in the late 70s when i was a crew chief, i was always going over the rule book to find something i could use as an advantage. for instance, most teams weighed their cars with driver, but without the equipment he wore during the race. i made sure that the drivers equipment was in the car when we weighed in, as our car and driver were both a little light. the fire suit and helmet made a difference of our car being 5lbs over the minimum, or 20lbs under the minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
5,988 posts, read 10,271,542 times
Reputation: 36685
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
absolutely right. back in the late 70s when i was a crew chief, i was always going over the rule book to find something i could use as an advantage. for instance, most teams weighed their cars with driver, but without the equipment he wore during the race. i made sure that the drivers equipment was in the car when we weighed in, as our car and driver were both a little light. the fire suit and helmet made a difference of our car being 5lbs over the minimum, or 20lbs under the minimum.
Your drivers suit and helmet weighed 25 lbs. I drove funny cars with an aluminized suit and I don't think it and my helmet weighed that much. Oh I forgot about the lead you put in his pockets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top