U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 04:44 PM

32,452 posts, read 26,317,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
^^yeah it's a bit dire the road they're going down now. Money races behind the scenes will kill competition.

I see Kyle Busch got an exemption for the championship. I don't really like that or think it's a good idea. Why run all the races? Just skip the ones you are bad at and save some money. Cheapens everything I think. The chase is bad enough as it is.
kyle busch got the exemption because he was injured and forced to sit out for several races. his intent was at the beginning of the season to run the entire season. but he still has to get into the top thirty in points, and he still has to win a race to get into the chase. that wont be easy considering where he will be starting points wise once he gets back in the drivers seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:46 AM

9,071 posts, read 15,032,649 times
Honestly I am ok with Kyle Busch being allowed for a title. Their explanation that they are allowing him to be eligible to compete because his injury was racing related is legitimate. It helps preserve the championship contender spots for those who compete full seasons, but due to injury may be forced out of the car at some point. That to me is in spirit with the purpose of doing championships with the chase format.

I will know more whether I think Busch can crack the top 30 after how he does in the all-star race and the Coca Cola 600. Will he look rusty or be able to run well right off the bat is the question.

30th may not be all too difficult. Stewart has 179 points in 30th, averaging 16 points a race. Trevor Bayne has 190 in 29th place, averaging 17 a race. Cole Whitt is close too with 177 and could be a factor to get above 30th. Chances are, Busch will need to get above two of those three, barring a collapse of someone else. After 31, Moffitt in 32 has not run all the races so far, and below him nobody is close to 30. Extrapolate this out, and these guys if they run as they are should finish in the 420-450 point range.

So Busch has 15 races to collect a win and top two of those three. A win is going to give him 47 total points all on it's own. (43 for the position, 3 bonus for the win, 1 bonus for leading a lap). So figure he needs 400 more in 14 races, or about 29 a race. He can get 29 a race by finishing 15th or better, before bonus points.

If he can step back in and be close to his normal self competition-wise, he is good enough to do that.

Of course, thats the key, will he be able to step back in and be competitive right away in two weeks when points racing resumes?

Old 05-15-2015, 09:19 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,184,730 times
I think he'll be fine and running at the front as usual. There's no doubt in my mind he'll win a race or two.

Intent to run or whatever, including a race injury, is tough luck but that's the way it goes. He should be ineligible for the chase. Things happen and it's patently unfair to drivers who do all the races. For the record I was against the 'do 1 lap' and get the points deal from ages ago. Another fraud to the spirit of competition. Yes it sucks to out but get over it. Not everyone gets a trophy.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:11 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,864,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
I think he'll be fine and running at the front as usual. There's no doubt in my mind he'll win a race or two.

Intent to run or whatever, including a race injury, is tough luck but that's the way it goes. He should be ineligible for the chase. Things happen and it's patently unfair to drivers who do all the races. For the record I was against the 'do 1 lap' and get the points deal from ages ago. Another fraud to the spirit of competition. Yes it sucks to out but get over it. Not everyone gets a trophy.
You are right on Kyle's eligability. If it was a no name low funded driver in the same situation as Kyle no way would he be eligable.

NASCAR has always showed favoritism to name drivers.

And I like Kyle.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:01 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
Heck of a truck race; getting to be the best racing. Eric Jones is unbelievable for his experience. NASCAR certainly has some great young drivers coming up.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:10 PM

15,595 posts, read 35,277,819 times
Come on Jr! Win a million!

Old 05-16-2015, 08:22 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,730,420 times
Danica did pretty well in qualifying (5th) having never competed in this event nor even practiced. Better than her three teammates as a matter of fact.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Danica did pretty well in qualifying (5th) having never competed in this event nor even practiced. Better than her three teammates as a matter of fact.
yep, nailed the pit stop nicely, too bad her motor quit in segment three.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:30 PM

6,557 posts, read 10,264,564 times
Remember when the All-Star Race was compelling? This race sucked. With this rules package you can run mid pack all race and if you manage to get out front at the end you'll be damn near impossible to pass. It's a joke.

NASCAR needs a true competitor because the product is hot garbage right now.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 05-16-2015 at 09:44 PM..

Old 05-16-2015, 09:51 PM

if you dont like it, then dont watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or