U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
1,715 posts, read 2,722,661 times
Reputation: 1460

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I was always a Dave Blaney fan going back to his sprint car days, so I am excited to wartch Ryan's progress. I also will pull for Kyle Larson and Chase Elliott. To be honest, aside from Gordon, there aren't many of the current drivers I get excited about. But I think the future looks a little brighter.
Those are my three favorite drivers going forward as well. I loved Carl Edwards, but now that he's driving a Toyota.... meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2015, 10:30 PM
 
32,501 posts, read 26,381,433 times
Reputation: 19153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I was always a Dave Blaney fan going back to his sprint car days, so I am excited to wartch Ryan's progress. I also will pull for Kyle Larson and Chase Elliott. To be honest, aside from Gordon, there aren't many of the current drivers I get excited about. But I think the future looks a little brighter.
i am looking forward to a richard petty/david pearson type of rivalry from kyle larson and chase elliot. i think nascar needs something like that today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Those are my three favorite drivers going forward as well. I loved Carl Edwards, but now that he's driving a Toyota.... meh.
carl edwards is still my driver i dont dump a drive just because he changes teams, or manufacturers. i still want the ford to run well though, in fact a fun race for me would be edwards running up front at daytona, with a string of fords pushing him to the finish line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 08:03 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,886,082 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Those are my three favorite drivers going forward as well. I loved Carl Edwards, but now that he's driving a Toyota.... meh.
Carl was my favorite for a few years and he gave Jack Roush an opportunity to step up the program but Jack and Ford let him down so he made the proper choice.

Most drivers are not locked into any brand. As long as they can win is all that counts.

Sad to say it looks like Ford has more interest in Sports car racing than NASCAR. I wonder how many GT's they can sell compared to passenger cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 10:42 AM
 
32,501 posts, read 26,381,433 times
Reputation: 19153
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Carl was my favorite for a few years and he gave Jack Roush an opportunity to step up the program but Jack and Ford let him down so he made the proper choice.

Most drivers are not locked into any brand. As long as they can win is all that counts.

Sad to say it looks like Ford has more interest in Sports car racing than NASCAR. I wonder how many GT's they can sell compared to passenger cars?
right now in nascar, the rules tend to favor the chevys. for instance, when toyota first broke into nascar, they didnt have a V8 engine they could use, so they actually adopted the LSx series engines used by chevrolet with some minor changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 11:05 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,886,082 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
right now in nascar, the rules tend to favor the chevys. for instance, when toyota first broke into nascar, they didnt have a V8 engine they could use, so they actually adopted the LSx series engines used by chevrolet with some minor changes.
Chevy is not using the LSx engine in Cup racing.

Still using the RO9 which is a race only engine not available in any production cars.

The Toyota engine is a combination of Chevy, Ford, Dodge race engines reverse engineered so they pick the best of all three engines, put it in a computer and out comes the specs. for an engine.

Befoe they went with FI all the engines looked similar with front mounted distributors and canted valve heads like the Yates Ford heads.

Sort of like the Hemis running in Top Fuel and Funny car, they are all generally the same except for the valve covers.

NASCAR is becoming a spec series and that sucks.

Some info on NASCAR engine development.

http://www.enginelabs.com/features/e...l-block-chevy/

Last edited by PDD; 07-03-2015 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 06:48 PM
 
Location: the sticks
813 posts, read 1,303,052 times
Reputation: 582
You know, there was a reason why the summer race at Daytona was run on Sat mornings. R A I N D E L A Y S !! and now, it is Sunday night and if they run tonight, I wont see it...

BrianFrance, what a boy genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 07:27 PM
 
Location: CT
3,461 posts, read 1,859,018 times
Reputation: 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
You know, there was a reason why the summer race at Daytona was run on Sat mornings. R A I N D E L A Y S !! and now, it is Sunday night and if they run tonight, I wont see it...

BrianFrance, what a boy genius.
It's now after 9PM, even if they could start by 10PM, the race wouldn't be over til 2AM, who's staying up for that????? Can't be more than 1K-2K people in the stands!!!! Do you think these guys want to be racing until the early morning hours just for their own entertainment? It'll be a slot race to get it over and finished ASAP. Racing for the sponsors and not the fans. Cancel for tonight and give some fans a chance tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,569 posts, read 10,290,206 times
Reputation: 9834
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
You know, there was a reason why the summer race at Daytona was run on Sat mornings. R A I N D E L A Y S !! and now, it is Sunday night and if they run tonight, I wont see it...

BrianFrance, what a boy genius.
Eh the night race decision is the fault of the TV networks. They hold NASCAR's purse strings. Prime time means higher ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,631 posts, read 4,229,357 times
Reputation: 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
You know, there was a reason why the summer race at Daytona was run on Sat mornings. R A I N D E L A Y S !! and now, it is Sunday night and if they run tonight, I wont see it...

BrianFrance, what a boy genius.
I have to say, i didn't go to Daytona this July because the Cup race is on Sunday night.. makes no sense.. it should have been Sat night and Sunday in the event of rain, like last year.. i didn't understand the Sunday night schedule and stayed home because I have to work tomorrow..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2015, 07:46 PM
 
Location: the sticks
813 posts, read 1,303,052 times
Reputation: 582
most of these boys, the racefans, have gotta go to work in the morning after a 4th of July vacation at the beach; they're long gone by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top