Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 06:50 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
One great thing with NBC and NASCAR- no Larry McReynolds
Really? Out of all the guys on the FOX team, McReynolds is the one that you don't like? How about DW and his blabbering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 08:19 AM

935 posts, read 1,649,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
at least the catch fence did its job and kept the car out of the stands. had that happened 15 years ago, that car would have been in the fans laps.
not only the catchfence, if you watch the angle shot from the stands, in their re-design of the seating (I reckon) that is still going on, it appears that the speedway has taken out several rows of seats in that specific area and not one extra. Pretty incredible and I imagine several more specific spots around that particular area will be eliminated as well. Maybe a 'problem area', anticipated and studied in videos of previous finishes and 'big ones' that the track just cannot hold.

and from the race on Sat, was there so many commercials to you all or just me ? I mean dayum, whether or not they cut my bigscreen down to a 20", still a buttload.

I pretty much slept thru last night...

Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
not only the catchfence, if you watch the angle shot from the stands, in their re-design of the seating (I reckon) that is still going on, it appears that the speedway has taken out several rows of seats in that specific area and not one extra. Pretty incredible and I imagine several more specific spots around that particular area will be eliminated as well. Maybe a 'problem area', anticipated and studied in videos of previous finishes and 'big ones' that the track just cannot hold.

and from the race on Sat, was there so many commercials to you all or just me ? I mean dayum, whether or not they cut my bigscreen down to a 20", still a buttload.

I pretty much slept thru last night...
I don't know that they have gotten to that section yet. The new stands are supposed to be a minimun of 12 feet off the ground and further back. I will have to go back and watch it to be sure though.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:30 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
argh! I could NOT stay up that late and watch.. I went to bed around 1230.. had a good feeling Jr would be hard to beat.... i need a damn DVR so then i can at least pick up where i left off.. argh argh argh

Old 07-06-2015, 08:41 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
argh! I could NOT stay up that late and watch.. I went to bed around 1230.. had a good feeling Jr would be hard to beat.... i need a damn DVR so then i can at least pick up where i left off.. argh argh argh
Would be better for NASCAR to run Florida races to Saturday so that there is an alternative when the inevitable thunderstorms roll in.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:36 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Would be better for NASCAR to run Florida races to Saturday so that there is an alternative when the inevitable thunderstorms roll in.
Or start at like 11 AM. Like they used to.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:32 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
That thing ended at midnight out here, 3am finish for the east on a Sunday?! That's beyond dumb. The drivers all looked tired afterwards. 3am tired. Whoever made that call is an idiot. The NBC coverage was okay. Burton and Letarte (sp) were fine if a bit boring. I don't get it though, they have Petty and Jarrett and NBC doesn't use them? Strange.

The race was typical. That crash was crazy. Very very lucky that engine doesn't end up 10 rows deep. Very lucky the angle of impact was the bottom of the car and not the top. Made for a somber victory lane which sucks. Dillion came out for slowing the cars down and he's not wrong. Never seen a car go airborne like that before. Freaky.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:57 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Looks like NASCAR got what it wanted, a big crash at the end as a grand finale. The only thing that can top that is a Jr win.

Keep up the pack racing NASCAR one of these days a driver will be tossed on to the track instead of an engine.

Why can they run 200 at Atlanta and Michigan without pack racing and without the "big one?

Restrictor plate racing sucks for real race fans but I guess it's OK for the video game crowd.

I wish NASCAR would get it through their head that there are other ways to slow cars down than cutting HP and that HP more often gets you out of trouble than in it.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I think that NASCAR has to appeal to different audience types. Some things I do not like draw audience and its a business after all. I could careless to see these cars on road tracks is one.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:05 PM

935 posts, read 1,649,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Looks like NASCAR got what it wanted, a big crash at the end as a grand finale.
Why can they run 200 at Atlanta and Michigan without pack racing and without the "big one ?
cars are averaging 200+ at Daytona, probably 210 or more on the straights, cars are averaging ~190 at Atlanta and reaching maybe 200 at the fastest point, which apparently is a big difference in the control and downforces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing