Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 04:37 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
cars are averaging 200+ at Daytona, probably 210 or more on the straights, cars are averaging ~190 at Atlanta and reaching maybe 200 at the fastest point, which apparently is a big difference in the control and downforces.
They also have considerably more HP at Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 05:22 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
cars are averaging 200+ at Daytona, probably 210 or more on the straights, cars are averaging ~190 at Atlanta and reaching maybe 200 at the fastest point, which apparently is a big difference in the control and downforces.
It's pack racing plain and simple, has nothing to do with 200mph

Cars have been running 200 MPH for years and their has always been big crashes involving a couple of cars but ever since "pack racing" it seems to be what NASCAR wants, we get the "big one" with multiple cars involved.

Simple solution but it will eliminate pack racing. Gear all the cars so that 200MPH equals 10,000 rpms and that will end pack racing. These engines can't run at those speeds for extended periods.

Back in the day, 20 years ago without restrictors all the cars could run 200mph but without pack racing their were few multiple crashes.

NASCAR is just trying to hang onto the video game geeks who love crashfests.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:24 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think that NASCAR has to appeal to different audience types. Some things I do not like draw audience and its a business after all. I could careless to see these cars on road tracks is one.
Are you crazy some of the best NASCAR racing is on road courses, at least they pass for the lead every once in a while unlike the computer cars in F1.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
This is about super speedway racing, at 200 mph aerodynamics and g forces can toss around a 3500 lb car like a kids toy. Have a look at what a tornado can do with your family ride on a trip through Kansas. Personally, I'm not a fan of super speedways, maybe I'm old school, I don't find the track at all intimate, the races are relatively boring, the tail runners don't stand a chance, lots of speed but there's no soul in it. Give me short track or a half mile oval, lots of competition, anyone can win, lots of passion behind the wheel, far more entertaining.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
This is about super speedway racing, at 200 mph aerodynamics and g forces can toss around a 3500 lb car like a kids toy. Have a look at what a tornado can do with your family ride on a trip through Kansas. Personally, I'm not a fan of super speedways, maybe I'm old school, I don't find the track at all intimate, the races are relatively boring, the tail runners don't stand a chance, lots of speed but there's no soul in it. Give me short track or a half mile oval, lots of competition, anyone can win, lots of passion behind the wheel, far more entertaining.
Actually, its the super speedways (Talladega and Daytona) that tail runners DO have a chance to win... they stand no chance on the half miles and mile and half tracks..

Old 07-06-2015, 07:26 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Actually, its the super speedways (Talladega and Daytona) that tail runners DO have a chance to win... they stand no chance on the half miles and mile and half tracks..
Only if they have a "big one" that takes out contenders.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The issue in'ts just caused by restricter plate. If you think about it with the chase and importance of winning one race and then watch what happens with the Green; white checker they bunch up and first five see this has when you win or lose; back further smaller team drivers see it has chance to place in top ten and so on. Then of course restricter plate is the great equalizer and smaller teams know this is their chance to win because of it. look at the old races and you saw the top teams at front leaving the lessor teams and they were even fewer then.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:58 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's pack racing plain and simple, has nothing to do with 200mph

Back in the day, 20 years ago without restrictors all the cars could run 200mph but without pack racing their were few multiple crashes.
Well back in the day, MillionDollarBill was strollin' down the back straight at Talledega around 235 to reach avg speeds of 210+ in that clunker TBird purely on HP that brother Ernie developed. Today, motors come from only one or two builders with no secrets, just stock crate Nascar racing motors. It's all handling and BigBossmanBrianFrance has his hands all over that too, just ask any driver about todays' racecars.

You definitely see less blown motors, which cut down on costs but the racing is boring. I suppose thats one reason you see a LOT MORE talking and a lot less racing in todays' version of Nascar.

and that would be 28 years ago when the plate was first mandated, after BobbyAllison flew into the fence at turn 4 Talledega.

Last edited by burr; 07-07-2015 at 08:29 AM..

Old 07-07-2015, 10:21 AM
PDD

Quote:

and that would be 28 years ago when the plate was first mandated, after BobbyAllison flew into the fence at turn 4 Talledega.
Yes typing error, should have been 30 instead of 20.

Brian France and his partners Rick Hendrick/GM pretty much have complete control of the cars and rules.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Well back in the day, MillionDollarBill was strollin' down the back straight at Talledega around 235 to reach avg speeds of 210+ in that clunker TBird purely on HP that brother Ernie developed.
actually that is wrong. ernie elliots engiens were NOT making more horsepower than everyone else. however there was a reason that bill was faster on the super speedways than everyone else. ernie used the rule book to his advantage and built bills tbirds at 15/16s scale. doesnt sound like much, but that bit made a big difference to the air, and bill took advantage.

one of bills winning cars on display was measured and compared to a production tbird(remember that was when the produciton car and the race car had to be nearly identical.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing