U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 08:11 PM

6,582 posts, read 10,318,829 times

Advertisements

Sad news coming outta the NASCAR world - Buddy Baker announced on his SiriusXM gig tonight that he's got inoperable lung cancer. Thoughts and prayers to the Gentle Giant and his friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 06:47 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,912,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually that is wrong. ernie elliots engiens were NOT making more horsepower than everyone else. however there was a reason that bill was faster on the super speedways than everyone else. ernie used the rule book to his advantage and built bills tbirds at 15/16s scale. doesnt sound like much, but that bit made a big difference to the air, and bill took advantage.

one of bills winning cars on display was measured and compared to a production tbird(remember that was when the produciton car and the race car had to be nearly identical.)
I think you have posted that "rumor" before , please post your source.

BTW it's OK to capitalize and use spell check. Might make your posts more credible.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:52 AM

32,543 posts, read 26,457,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I think you have posted that "rumor" before , please post your source.

BTW it's OK to capitalize and use spell check. Might make your posts more credible.
here is a picture of elliots 87 tbird, and as you can see there are a number differences from the production car, the nose is sharper, and slightly narrower(i owned one so i can see the differences). it wasnt found out until a few years later when someone went back and measured the car. it was this race car by the way that was the reason that nascar has so many templates for the car bodies.

http://remarkablevehicles.com/index...._Elliot_NASCAR

Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 AM
PDD

Quote:
here is a picture of elliots 87 tbird, and as you can see there are a number differences from the production car, the nose is sharper, and slightly narrower(i owned one so i can see the differences). it wasnt found out until a few years later when someone went back and measured the car. it was this race car by the way that was the reason that nascar has so many templates for the car bodies.

1987 Ford Thunderbird Bill Elliot NASCAR - Remarkable Vehicles
That is not a source that the car was 15/16, it is just a photo. Of course everybody tweaked their cars back then and many still do but I have never heard anybody but perhaps a disgruntled GM fan say that the Elliott T bird was undersize.

I do remember stories of Smoky Yunicks (sp) Chevelle being undersize back in the sixties.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:25 AM

814 posts, read 1,304,916 times
and 3700 lbs is pretty much 3700 lbs.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
That is not a source that the car was 15/16, it is just a photo. Of course everybody tweaked their cars back then and many still do but I have never heard anybody but perhaps a disgruntled GM fan say that the Elliott T bird was undersize.

I do remember stories of Smoky Yunicks (sp) Chevelle being undersize back in the sixties.
yep smokey built a 7/8s scale chevelle in 1967(?). the car was outlawed by nascar though when it was put alongside a production chevelle that same day. of course there were no templates back then

as for me being a disgruntled gm fan, far from it, i was a bill elliot fan since i found out he was racing fords back in 1982. i even cheered on his first win at riverside in 1983 driving a tbird.

as for the car in the photo, it was similar to the car that was put in a nascar display that was measured and compared to a production car. and it was that car that went 212+ in talledega qualifying.

remember back then there were only a few templates used to determine of the body was legal or not, and ernie took full advantage of that.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:58 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,973,947 times
Talking about speeds.................I love the story's about the old days. Great read below about Buddy Baker and skirting 200 MPH. Quite a bit of time passed until someone (Elliott) was able to surpass the record by a good amount.

I loved those winged cars and I remember as a little boy how they sat on the dealer lots for what seemed forever. Easily had in the late 70's and early 80's for a few thousand dollars used.

The record-setting 200 mph Dodge Charger Daytona

Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,726,669 times
Both testing sessions at Kentucky have been canceled due to rain. This has the potential to be a really good race.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:16 PM

if KB keeps running as well as he has in the past few races, he is going to make the chase fairly easily. he has gone from 136 points out to 87 points out in two races.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:43 AM
PDD

Quote:
if KB keeps running as well as he has in the past few races, he is going to make the chase fairly easily. he has gone from 136 points out to 87 points out in two races.
Pretty good race from Kentucky, lots of passing and at least for one race, stopped the Hendrick parade.

Since most of the drivers seemed to like the new setup I am sure Brian France will want to make other changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or