U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 01:33 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,719,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
kyle busch hater eh? he is doing everything he can to get into the chase. he isnt there yet though. and with 8 races left before the chase, he an still have some bad luck and not make it. but KB is being KB, and is at least making the run to the chase interesting.
Don't have to be a hater to think it's ridiculous that a guy who misses 1/3 of the season has a chance to win the championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 02:04 AM

32,452 posts, read 26,308,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Don't have to be a hater to think it's ridiculous that a guy who misses 1/3 of the season has a chance to win the championship.
why? given the current rules, busch needs to get a win, done, and he needs to get into the top thirty in points, close, and he had to make an effort to run all thirty six race of the season, and he would have had he not been injured severely enough to prevent him from competing in several races.

so what the problem? busch is doing everything he needs to do to get into the championship rounds. if you dont like it, then perhaps you should get onto the nascar rules committee and get them to make changes.

at one time people were complaining because matt kenseth won the championship one year, and only won one race. so we got the chase. then people complained that winning still didnt carry enough weight, so now we have the current knock out chase. so what DO you want? the champion has to win every chase race? would you rather have a formula one style points system? would you rather go back to the original nascar championship system where the champion was the one that made the most money? and if that is the system you want, do you also want to go back to running 40+ races in a season?

Old 07-21-2015, 07:45 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,012,360 times
The only people who were complaining about Kenseth were the Johnny-come-latelies who didn't understand racing. Now those people are gone, and we're left with this garbage championship system. Everyone who had been watching NASCAR since the 90s, 80s, and earlier understood the points system of the early 2000s. Everyone knew you could win the championship without winning a race.

You also knew you couldn't sit out a third of the season and be worthy of the Winston Cup Championship.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:12 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,184,300 times
Exactly. You create a bogus championship when you let someone miss that much time and still be eligible. It has little to do with hating Kyle and more to do with disliking an unfair system. The fact remains that he shouldn't be eligible to win the championship. This isn't the 3rd grade where everyone gets a trophy.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Personally I think its done because its been successful drawing fan base and its in the end a business overall. NASCAR really has been by far the best in keeping its base who want exciting races to watch. Its far beyond those get a trophy days.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
The only people who were complaining about Kenseth were the Johnny-come-latelies who didn't understand racing. Now those people are gone, and we're left with this garbage championship system. Everyone who had been watching NASCAR since the 90s, 80s, and earlier understood the points system of the early 2000s. Everyone knew you could win the championship without winning a race.

You also knew you couldn't sit out a third of the season and be worthy of the Winston Cup Championship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Exactly. You create a bogus championship when you let someone miss that much time and still be eligible. It has little to do with hating Kyle and more to do with disliking an unfair system. The fact remains that he shouldn't be eligible to win the championship. This isn't the 3rd grade where everyone gets a trophy.
if kyle busch wins the championship, he will have earned it according to the rules.

kyle was knocked out of that first 1/3rd of the season though no fault of his own, and should not be punished as a result.

but i can understand you point of view also. however if the competitors have no issue with the situation, then why should we?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:33 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
I get both arguments but i think the Chase should have the BEST drivers and i don't think you can argue Kyle is not one of the BEST drivers. Were a long way from crowning Busch as the champion... he has been in the chase just about every year since the chase has been around and yet he has yet to win a Championship so I am not convinced he can actually win during the chase. If he gets HOT like he is now.. who knows but that's a long way from now.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I get both arguments but i think the Chase should have the BEST drivers and i don't think you can argue Kyle is not one of the BEST drivers. Were a long way from crowning Busch as the champion... he has been in the chase just about every year since the chase has been around and yet he has yet to win a Championship so I am not convinced he can actually win during the chase. If he gets HOT like he is now.. who knows but that's a long way from now.
agreed. he still needs to make up 58 points, and there are still eight races to go before the chase starts, and anything can happen. kyle is on a precipice right now, and there is no guarantee that he will get into the top thirty in points, let alone stay there long enough to get into the chase. and then with the chase itself, even then that doesnt mean he is going to win. suppose for instance that kyle wins out(tough to win that many races in a row), but in the first chase race he wrecks like he did at daytona and is out for the rest of the season. it can happen.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:04 AM

155 posts, read 191,447 times
We wouldn't have this problem if NASCAR would simply award the championship to whoever accumulates the most points.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
NASCAR is simply aligning themselves with other major sports who have a playoff. I liked the way the playoffs (CHASE) was structured last year where drivers were eliminated during the race and we had only 4 contenders left for the final race even though my favorite was no longer among the final 4. It simply creates more drama for the final race. NASCAR wants a Super Bowl type hyped finale which I don't think they can ever achieve but I think that is their goal and the old system simply cannot get them there.

Sure there is a chance that someone could sneak into the CHASE with no wins and win the CHASE with no wins (Newman came close last year) and I think NASCAR needs to fix that. I don't think you get into the CHASE without a win or if you do, you don't win the Championship without a win, meaning you can make the CHASE on points but cannot win the Championship without winning a race in the CHASE.

I am not going to STOP watching NASCAR because of the CHASE and I wouldn't stop if they changed it even more or even eliminated it and went back to the old points system. I watch NASCAR for the races not the Championship. The Championship is a nice caveat but personally, i would rather sit in the stands while Jr wins Daytona or Talledega vs sitting at home and watch him win a Championship by finishing 12th at homestead.. but that's just me. It easy for a Jr fan to say, i don't care about Championships... I am sure I would change my mind if he actually won one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or