U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 10:19 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times

Advertisements

MWR not fielding a team next year in Sprint Cup. Clint Bowyer is looking for a ride. Not sure he will get a top tier offer next year.. Maybe Roush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 10:23 AM

6,557 posts, read 10,261,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
MWR not fielding a team next year in Sprint Cup. Clint Bowyer is looking for a ride. Not sure he will get a top tier offer next year.. Maybe Roush?
I wouldn't be surprised if Bowyer ends up taking McMurray's ride at the team formerly known as ECR.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,221,188 times
McMurray reminds me a lot of Mark Martin.. probably doesn't win as much as Mark but simply will not wreck another driver despite the situation..

Old 08-21-2015, 11:26 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Jayski said yesterday that Bowyer might go the Kurt Busch route.. A stopover year at HScott, replacing Allgaire, then moving on as more contracts are up in 2017.. They're talking about him in the 14 to replace Stewart in '17.. Which, you initially say 'no way', but.. I do kinda think Tony's heart isn't in it anymore, at least so far as being a driver.

There aren't a whole lot of spots opening up any time soon.. he's already said he's not going with Kauffman, so that means CGR is out..

Gibbs will likely move Kenseth to pasture in a couple of years for Erik Jones.

RCR could be a landing spot in '17.. Newman's contract will presumably be up.

Roush could pretty much replace anyone and it'd be an upgrade.. And they still have room for a 4th car. Petty may take a swing at him.. They wanted him when he left RCR for MWR. Hornisch hasn't impressed in Cup again.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:29 AM

5,911 posts, read 6,711,111 times
Furniture Row looking to add a second car. Rumor is they might go with Toyota, which is looking to add a team or two, and Bowyer, who brings some funding with Five Hour Energy, might be behind the wheel.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:11 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,861,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Roush could pretty much replace anyone and it'd be an upgrade.. And they still have room for a 4th car. Petty may take a swing at him.. They wanted him when he left RCR for MWR. Hornisch hasn't impressed in Cup again.
Roush stopped winning when he had Kenseth and Edwards so it's not the drivers. Right now Roush couldn't win with Harvick, Kyle Bush and Logano as his drivers. The problem with Jack Roush is that he thinks he knows better than the other guys.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:16 PM
PDD

Concerning MWR how in the world did Rob Kauffman, think it was a good idea to invest money in a NASCAR team to grow his fortune?

Every owner knows you don't make money in NASCAR.

Drivers can make money not owners.

The old saying in NASCAR is to make a small fortune you have to start out with a large fortune.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:23 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Furniture Row looking to add a second car. Rumor is they might go with Toyota, which is looking to add a team or two, and Bowyer, who brings some funding with Five Hour Energy, might be behind the wheel.
Furniture Row has been rumored to add a second car for the past 10 years. They don't have a REAL sponsor for their first car.. It's the owners' company sponsoring it and he said this year, I think, that any sponsor that came in the door would take over that car before they'd add a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Roush stopped winning when he had Kenseth and Edwards so it's not the drivers. Right now Roush couldn't win with Harvick, Kyle Bush and Logano as his drivers. The problem with Jack Roush is that he thinks he knows better than the other guys.
I agree. He got caught up a little too much in complaining about Toyota rather than keeping up with them. I'll be interested to see.. In the next 10 years.. We're going to have a massive shift in dynamics so far as team ownership..

Hendrick will stay in the family.. RCR will, too. Both them are in their high 60's.. I mean, I don't expect them to drop dead within 10 years, but..

Gibbs is in his 70's, I think.. JD is sick with CTE or whatever.. But, it'll go to JD, Coy and the grandkids, I'm sure. It'll stay family, but i'm a little less confident that they will keep the team vs sell, pending on JD's health.

Penske and Roush are question marks. I don't see anyone inheriting and keeping those teams. And both of them are north of 70. And I don't see either team doing well without them.

Petty as well.. Though.. I think he's more a figurehead there than an owner. He's 78 and a pretty rough 78 at that.

Tad and Jody (JTG) are young enough, should be around a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see them step up to a major team down the road. Perhaps buying into one of the above organizations.

Time marches on..

Old 08-21-2015, 02:07 PM
PDD

Quote:

I agree. He got caught up a little too much in complaining about Toyota rather than keeping up with them.
Jack was right when he warned NASCAR about letting the Japanese factory teams in. "they will not stop spending until they dominate".

It took a year of two to dominate the Truck series.

Another year or two to dominate Bush, Xfinity

And now they seem to be dominating in Cup.

All this with engines that are a combination of GM,Ford and Dodge engines and an owner who is a football coach.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:22 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,187,628 times
Quote:

Gibbs will likely move Kenseth to pasture in a couple of years for Erik Jones.

I don't think itll be Matt, although Matt is getting "old" for a driver. If Gibbs moves anybody, Id think it would be Hamlin, and IMO it would be the better thing to do.

Last edited by UpstateJohn; 08-22-2015 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or