U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 11:49 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,086,964 times

Advertisements

Kenseth will be 45 for the 2017 season.. I think he is the type of driver who can, in the vein of a Mark Martin or Harry Gant, stay competitive through his 40's and into his 50's.. But.. Something has to give. Hamlin has spent his career at JGR, and JGR is very loyal to their drivers. Unless he wants to leave.. I think he stays.

I was thinking this over during the race tonight.. Toyota will be down to basically JGR once MWR ceases operations.. Rumor is that they are pursuing FRR.. Which instantly upgrades FRR from a 2nd tier team to a top tier. But.. Do they add a second car for Bowyer? Does them being in Denver sit OK with TRD?

BK Racing, God bless 'em.. But they, even if they have official Toyota support and TRD engines.. At best with their driver lineup that moves them to a low 2nd tier team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 08:44 AM

32,462 posts, read 26,332,322 times
i am sure that toyota is pursuing more than just furniture row. FRR would be a good addition to the toyota roster though. but they are having trouble getting sponsors for the one team they have now, and while bringing bowyer on would give them a sponsor, they have indicated that the sponsor would go on the first team car, thus bowyer would have to take over the 78(?) car, and that might not sit well with their current driver martin truex.

there are a lot of single car teams out there with good drivers that given more factory support, just might become top tier teams though.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:07 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Toyota has certainly shown a lot more speed that they did first of season and last season. Just as Ford and Chevy have shown less advantage and certainly Legano has come to form displayed in other racing series he dominated. Despite dislikes of some things NASCAR has done ;it has done best job of any series I world at maintaining a competitive field in which smaller teams can compete and grow while also attracting the best in teams in America to it ranks; IMO.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:06 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
But most everybody complains how bad the racing is these days. So those changes did not make for better racing.

IMO the Lucky dog was put in place so when a favored driver had some misfortune he got a second chance.

Back in the day a restart after a caution was restarting the race in about the same position before the caution.

Now everybody gets a second chance and if the leader has a dominant car he gets penalized for being too fast.
IMO the racing hasn't changed all that much, but people's memories have. ESPN used to show NASCAR classics where they would replay entire races. Guess what? It was the same; top tier teams at the top and back markers in the back with the mediocre teams packing the middle.

The idea wasn't to make for better racing but rather safer racing so drivers wouldn't crash into a disabled car while trying to beat the leader back to the flag. The latest technology of freezing the field evolved from this.
Playing along with your conspiracy it would be easier for NASCAR to throw a caution when a "favored" driver was about to go a lap down.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:35 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,869,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Playing along with your conspiracy it would be easier for NASCAR to throw a caution when a "favored" driver was about to go a lap down.
Yes that never happens/happened.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:43 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Yes that never happens/happened.
Yea, a few years back Dale Jr got 3 lucky dogs in a row during one race.. couldn't believe his luck! I don't think has gotten 3 total since, of course he hasn't had to.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:03 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,720,135 times
Ken Squier, Ned Jarret and Dale Jarret are going to call some of the race on Sunday. Can't wait!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,086,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Ken Squier, Ned Jarret and Dale Jarret are going to call some of the race on Sunday. Can't wait!
I'm great with that with the exception of Dale Jarrett.. He's a current announcer, not a 'throwback'.. If you're going to do this.. Go all in.. Bring in Barney Hall or Bob Jenkins. Hell.. Even go down to Florida and find what hotel Bill Weber is performing at.

Of course.. I'd love to have 'ol BP back, but.. That one can't happen.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm great with that with the exception of Dale Jarrett.. He's a current announcer, not a 'throwback'.. If you're going to do this.. Go all in.. Bring in Barney Hall or Bob Jenkins. Hell.. Even go down to Florida and find what hotel Bill Weber is performing at.

Of course.. I'd love to have 'ol BP back, but.. That one can't happen.
BP was one of my favorite announcers, dearly missed.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:01 PM

32,462 posts, read 26,332,322 times
chris economaki would be great to have back as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or