U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 08:47 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,732,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm great with that with the exception of Dale Jarrett.. He's a current announcer, not a 'throwback'.. If you're going to do this.. Go all in.. Bring in Barney Hall or Bob Jenkins. Hell.. Even go down to Florida and find what hotel Bill Weber is performing at.

Of course.. I'd love to have 'ol BP back, but.. That one can't happen.
They probably put him in there as a crutch for his dad and Squier. They might not be up on everything. Plus, it seems like Dale is the only modern announcer that everyone seems to like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 06:51 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,269,361 times
I think we need to remember they have to be able to talk well fir hours not just be a driver fro past recognizes. Hate to ask your age but Jarrett is a blast from past to so many younger fans. If you observe forum now days there are questions of what it was like in the 80's and 90's; LOL.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:34 PM

32,619 posts, read 26,580,135 times
ken squire is sounding as good as ever, as are the jarretts.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:57 PM

edwards comes from 38th to win the southern 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! his crew just nailed the last pit stop to put him up front.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:27 PM

9,511 posts, read 7,206,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
ken squire is sounding as good as ever, as are the jarretts.
They were both shaky at the start.. I'm glad they gave them some time.. They were on for over an hour.. I figured it'd be 5 minutes and done..

Both of them had very shaky voices to start with, but once they got into it, Ned especially.. It was just like the old days. Ken.. had a few senior moments.. Denny Hamlin is not from Enumclaw, WA.. lol but it was great hearing them, and they even brought up BP.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 PM

well give ken credit at least, i mean he is 80. and both he and ned have been out of the booth for a number of years. but as you said, once they got into the groove, they were good as ever.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:04 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,954,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
edwards comes from 38th to win the southern 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! his crew just nailed the last pit stop to put him up front.
As much as I like Carl, nobody deserves a win if they are given laps back. You should have to drive your way back not a free pass because you happen to be the first car a lap down.

Jack was right, the Japanese will stop at nothing to dominate the Americans. Getting even for a WWII surrender.

Other than that the racing was great.

Final four prediction,

Keselosky
Logano
Harvick
Hamlin

Old 09-07-2015, 08:29 AM

sorry you feel that way because carl still had to drive up from 30th, as well as have his pit crew nail EVERY stop perfectly to gain track position, and then still hold off there rest of the field for the last eight laps.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:17 AM

5,742 posts, read 4,269,701 times
I enjoyed the throwback announcers, especially Squire, probably more than anything. The racing was great but the cautions were a bit much. No green flag pit stops. I guess that happens but it appears to me that this aero package will take some time for the back pack drivers to get used to. They didn't seem to be able to drive more than a dozen laps without one of them spinning. The up front racing was the best I have seen in a long time. If you paid attention to the top 10 and even top 20, there was a lot of movement lap after lap of course they couldn't get spread out due to all the cautions.

I think Harvick or Kes had the best car. Not sure what happened to Harvick on the last pit stop but he came out 4th or 5th which killed his chances. I didn't mind seeing Carl win especially since he was 2 laps down. Its nice to know, from a fans perspective that even though its a long shot, your driver can still win if he falls down 2 laps early due to a flat tire or something of that nature. That used to happen more often but the lucky dog has limited that allowing only 1 car to get a lap back vs several racing back to the yellow.

If you think about how NASCAR lines the cars up side by side with the lapped cars lining up in the back, they could never get their lap back by simply racing.. I much prefer this lineup vs the old way with the lapped down cars on the inside basically trapping cars running 3-10 back in the pack.

I guess its just a matter of opinion... but i prefer this method much more than the old way.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:22 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,202,194 times
Ned sounded great! Loved when they were passing the broadcast back to the current guys and they are all 'thank you thank you so great yadda yadda' and Ned says, 'Green flag!'. lol Always a pro and about the racing. Glad they got some quality announce time. Good stuff.

The package seemed good. Took care of some the aero junk and made the drivers pay attention. Certainly saw who ran out of talent out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or