U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 01:39 PM

7,365 posts, read 10,807,942 times

Advertisements

So exciting....can't wait until our Dover Downs Nascar Weekend...
Starting October 14th, 2015 Dover will be the fun place to be. I have never understood people leaving Dover until the races are over and the people are gone. We Love It! It's one Big Vacation, for us! And, we're 10 minutes from the track!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 PM

155 posts, read 191,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
let apply that logic to other sports then shall we? how about we no longer have the super bowl, and teh team with the best record wins the championship? how about we go back to the old days where teh college football champion was determined by the coaches and sports writers voting, and the bowl games were just window dressing at the end of the season. lets get rid of the ncaa basketball tournament, and just go to the polls to determine the national champion. lets get rid of the world series, put all the teams in one league, and the one who comes out on top wins the season championship.
This is NASCAR, not a stick-and-ball sport.

-----------------------

In stick-and-ball sports, almost every field is identical.

In auto racing, there are many different types of tracks.

-----------------------

In stick-and-ball sports, two teams compete against each other at a time.

In auto racing, every team competes with each other at the same time.

------------------------

Auto racing is very different from stick-and-ball sports, so why does it need a playoff system?

NASCAR's playoff system is a confusing mess that doesn't reflect the best driver all year.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:06 PM

For the second consecutive year, I will be boycott the Chase open at Chicago.

Since Homestead will be Jeff Gordon's final race, I will (attempt to) tolerate the finale this year. We'll see how that goes.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:14 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeopleAreStrange View Post
This is NASCAR, not a stick-and-ball sport.

-----------------------

In stick-and-ball sports, almost every field is identical.

In auto racing, there are many different types of tracks.

-----------------------

In stick-and-ball sports, two teams compete against each other at a time.

In auto racing, every team competes with each other at the same time.

------------------------

Auto racing is very different from stick-and-ball sports, so why does it need a playoff system?

NASCAR's playoff system is a confusing mess that doesn't reflect the best driver all year.
I agree with the sentiment, if not the logic.

No field is identical in any sport. Anyone who has played sports will tell you that. Football fields and baseball fields all have uniqueness to them that makes playing at one far different than playing at another.

While in baseball or football, 2 teams are DIRECTLY competing with each other at a time.. They're still all competing with each other all the time for the best overall record.

Stick and ball sports don't reflect who the best team was all year, either. Seems to me that a few years back a 9-7 New York Giants team won a championship over a Patriots team that went 16-0.

I prefer the old point system myself as well.. But.. I just don't buy your logic in why there shouldn't be a playoff system. My argument is simply in auto racing, consistency is the yard stick.. The best thing to come out of the newer systems that have been used in NASCAR is that the winner receives more points. Always should have been like that. The biggest pitfall to the 'classic' system was that the 2nd place finisher COULD earn the exact same number of points as the winner. That one.. Makes little to no sense.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:24 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,316,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I agree with the sentiment, if not the logic.

No field is identical in any sport. Anyone who has played sports will tell you that. Football fields and baseball fields all have uniqueness to them that makes playing at one far different than playing at another.

While in baseball or football, 2 teams are DIRECTLY competing with each other at a time.. They're still all competing with each other all the time for the best overall record.

Stick and ball sports don't reflect who the best team was all year, either. Seems to me that a few years back a 9-7 New York Giants team won a championship over a Patriots team that went 16-0.

I prefer the old point system myself as well.. But.. I just don't buy your logic in why there shouldn't be a playoff system. My argument is simply in auto racing, consistency is the yard stick.. The best thing to come out of the newer systems that have been used in NASCAR is that the winner receives more points. Always should have been like that. The biggest pitfall to the 'classic' system was that the 2nd place finisher COULD earn the exact same number of points as the winner. That one.. Makes little to no sense.
Made no sense to me either as it eliminated the risk of going for the win when the driver knew he had as many points as the winner.
The current system combined with the long schedule keeps the competition going until the last race. No more driver being able to wrap up the championship before the last race.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:51 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Made no sense to me either as it eliminated the risk of going for the win when the driver knew he had as many points as the winner.
The current system combined with the long schedule keeps the competition going until the last race. No more driver being able to wrap up the championship before the last race.
There's going to be those who love it, those who hate it.

I don't like the idea of it coming down to one race. But, i'm not going to start boycotts or moan and complain about the points system now. Everyone knows the rules at the start of the season.

Imagine Gordon's 1998 season.. That was domination. Now, it wouldn't have changed that year. He actually won the Atlanta race. But, imagine if he was NOT champion that year.. Gordon for the first half of his career absolutely sucked in the final race of the year (Normally at Atlanta).. Hell.. Bobby Labonte would probably be at least a 4 time champion under the current system. 96, 97, 99 at Atlanta and 2003 at Homestead.

I haven't crunched the numbers to see if he would have qualified to be in the Championship Round in all those years, but... As it stands, he's a 1 time champion, and a borderline HOFer. I think he gets in, but it'll be a while. After all, until Keselowski and Harvick won championships, he was the only Busch series champion to also win a Cup championship. He and Jarrett are very similar, but Jarrett had more "big" wins, which got him in.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:38 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,187,388 times
Everyone knows the rules at the start of the season - until they change them for a driver they want in the chase.

Harvick was his usual idiot self Sunday. He's the first to start pushing and shoving when he thinks he's been wronged yet want understanding when he crashes someone out. Guy can be likable a lot of the time then his tempter makes him look like a jerk. The latter part is what kept him from winning a championship for so long, much like Kyle Busch.

Good job by Hamlin, figured he was doomed but clean air wins again.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:46 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,880,641 times
Congrats to Toyota Motor company you have proven that with unlimited amounts of cash you can beat the Americans at their own game.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:43 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,014,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Everyone knows the rules at the start of the season - until they change them for a driver they want in the chase.

Harvick was his usual idiot self Sunday. He's the first to start pushing and shoving when he thinks he's been wronged yet want understanding when he crashes someone out. Guy can be likable a lot of the time then his tempter makes him look like a jerk. The latter part is what kept him from winning a championship for so long, much like Kyle Busch.

Good job by Hamlin, figured he was doomed but clean air wins again.
Races like this are all the proof you need that a small spoiler and no front splitter will make for better racing.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I would much rather watch a driver clinch the championship a race or two before the finale than have this horrible way of determining a champion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or