U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 09:43 AM

32,470 posts, read 26,347,895 times

Advertisements

harvicks crew chief screwed up and called him in late. however harvick and company also screwed up by not backing off and saving fuel, he ended up only needing three laps worth. had harvick backed off and let both kennseth and hamlin go past, and finished third or fourth, he would be at the point of just having to do well at dover. now he has to win. kyle busch on the other hand just has to do well at dover, perhaps a good top ten finish, despite his problems in the chase so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 11:07 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
harvicks crew chief screwed up and called him in late. however harvick and company also screwed up by not backing off and saving fuel, he ended up only needing three laps worth. had harvick backed off and let both kennseth and hamlin go past, and finished third or fourth, he would be at the point of just having to do well at dover. now he has to win. kyle busch on the other hand just has to do well at dover, perhaps a good top ten finish, despite his problems in the chase so far.
According to something I read this morning, they weren't really pushing things, so they thought. They should have been several laps to the good, so, they think either they had a pickup problem or it didn't get full on the stop prior to the splash and go.

Either way.. I totally agree with you. I think they got in the mindset that it was a must-win.. Which means that Dover is a must win.

Had he finished second or third, they'd be 2 or 3 points out of 12th. Which is far more manageable than 22.

Earnhardt is the most likely to fall out of the top 12.. Likely to be replaced with Kyle Busch.. Harvick has a good shot to win it, and if that happens, I'd say McMurray falls out as well. But, McMurray and Menard both ran well in the spring.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:23 AM

32,470 posts, read 26,347,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
According to something I read this morning, they weren't really pushing things, so they thought. They should have been several laps to the good, so, they think either they had a pickup problem or it didn't get full on the stop prior to the splash and go.

Either way.. I totally agree with you. I think they got in the mindset that it was a must-win.. Which means that Dover is a must win.

Had he finished second or third, they'd be 2 or 3 points out of 12th. Which is far more manageable than 22.

Earnhardt is the most likely to fall out of the top 12.. Likely to be replaced with Kyle Busch.. Harvick has a good shot to win it, and if that happens, I'd say McMurray falls out as well. But, McMurray and Menard both ran well in the spring.
what ever the reason, here is something to consider, harvick had probably the fastest car on the day. so lets say instead of not stopping on lap 239, because he missed pit road after being called in, what if harvick came around, and stopped after everyone else? at that point he could have fueled up so as to not worry about fuel, and with four fresh tires at the same time, he could have gone out in what 21st place? still on the lead lap, but now he could have run hard to the finish, and ended up in the top ten fairly easily. it would have been pretty much like coming on time, but getting a penalty of say speeding on pit road.

just like carl edwards missed an opportunity where he had to come back down pit road for a penalty under the caution, he should have then changed left side tires as it wouldnt have cost him anything at that point since his restart position would have been the same anyway. in the end carls mistake cost him perhaps two positions on the track at the end, where as kevins mistake cost him 20 positions in the race.

so dover will be a very interesting race to watch. harvick is going to run up front most of the day, likely, and kyle busch will challenge him for the win most likely, as will edwards and johnson.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:28 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,874,703 times
NASCAR please stop with the restart BS. This is not 1/4 mile drag racing who cares if the leader jumps that start?
Most of you guys remember when the leader was in front of 2nd place on restarts, so why do we have to give the 2nd place car an opportunity to knock the leader out of the way? The leader generally is the best car that part of the day so he deserves to start in front of 2nd place.

On the other hand if NASCAR insists on monitoring the start at least be consistent in your rulings. The last two races you had two drivers clearly jump the start yet one (a NASCAR favorite) gets away with it. The other (not a NASCAR favorite) get punished.

You can't have a different decision on the same infraction just because you favor one driver over another.

After all this isn't F1.

As far as Harvick goes I hope he misses the cut and then wins 5 races, this will show the fallacy of the playoff system.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:16 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,186,467 times
^^lol I'll laugh my butt off if that happens. And it kinda is F1 in terms of favoritism. The Jr rules and such.

I'm a little tired of all the gimmicks to keep top drivers up front. Get rid of the free pass, it's ridiculous. Line up single file as it should be. Giving the driver behind you a free shot at you isn't really fair. Making up multiple laps and winning damn sure isn't fair or right.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:47 AM

5,802 posts, read 6,580,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
what ever the reason, here is something to consider, harvick had probably the fastest car on the day. so lets say instead of not stopping on lap 239, because he missed pit road after being called in, what if harvick came around, and stopped after everyone else? at that point he could have fueled up so as to not worry about fuel, and with four fresh tires at the same time, he could have gone out in what 21st place? still on the lead lap, but now he could have run hard to the finish, and ended up in the top ten fairly easily. it would have been pretty much like coming on time, but getting a penalty of say speeding on pit road.

just like carl edwards missed an opportunity where he had to come back down pit road for a penalty under the caution, he should have then changed left side tires as it wouldnt have cost him anything at that point since his restart position would have been the same anyway. in the end carls mistake cost him perhaps two positions on the track at the end, where as kevins mistake cost him 20 positions in the race.

so dover will be a very interesting race to watch. harvick is going to run up front most of the day, likely, and kyle busch will challenge him for the win most likely, as will edwards and johnson.
I agree with you...yet these crew chiefs can't all be Chad Knaus. The 48 team rarely makes mistakes and if they do, they recover very quickly. The 48 team does well under pressure. You would have expected better of the 4 team seeing that they are the defending champs, have strong cars and a very good driver.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
^^lol I'll laugh my butt off if that happens. And it kinda is F1 in terms of favoritism. The Jr rules and such.

I'm a little tired of all the gimmicks to keep top drivers up front. Get rid of the free pass, it's ridiculous. Line up single file as it should be. Giving the driver behind you a free shot at you isn't really fair. Making up multiple laps and winning damn sure isn't fair or right.
I'm OK with nixing the Lucky Dog, but side by side restarts are about the only action you get now a days with NASCAR. After two or three laps, they all get back in the conga line and it's back to snooze time.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,874,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm OK with nixing the Lucky Dog, but side by side restarts are about the only action you get now a days with NASCAR. After two or three laps, they all get back in the conga line and it's back to snooze time.
The experiment with low down-force cars proved that good racing is possible with today's cars. Brian France insists on pack racing because more crashes equals more tickets sold.

Banning Brian France will solve everything.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:57 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,186,467 times
^^haha Yes, I think we'd all agreed on getting rid of France.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Fair enough. I can live with the side-by-side restart if they get can get consistent with the rules or lack thereof. Free pass has got to go though. You have a bad day or problems that's racing. You lose. Try again next week not next free lap.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:36 AM

May end up being an interesting race Sunday at Dover. Harvick has to win to get in now, really no other reasonable scenario for him. If he is not in position to win, should Johnson be worried about payback?

Boyer has to win to get in also, don't see that happening.

Kyle Busch, Dale Jr, Truex, McMurray, and Paul Menard have to race each other for that final spot.

I see Busch getting in. So who will join Boyer and possibly Harvick on the outside of the Chase? Dale Jr is the closest to falling out, points wise. But he just needs to stay one position ahead of McMurray at Dover to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or