Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 05:36 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Little E showed a lot of class and maturity in his interview in light of a frustrating end to the race.......NASCAR should have done something when Harvick repeatedly mentioned that his car could not accelerate. If NASCAR is so concerned about safety they should have flagged him to the back of the pack and called him on his comments about his car to his crew.

I am still in the minority of those saying that NASCAR is in a diminishing sport as far as viewership and fan interest goes. I am still trying to figure out why it is only on the NBC Sports channel here where we live.......lots of guys I work with don't get the channel and don't know how to stream it.
you cant throw a black flag because someones car wont accelerate like the rest of the field. you can throw a black flag if the car does not maintain a minimum speed. harvick was able to get up to that minimum speed, and was able to maintain pace car speed. it would be like someone spinning the tires on a restart, the rest of the field has to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 05:48 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I want Logano to win the next three races but not the last race and the championship. This will show NASCAR that their championship format is a folly.

The champion has to be the best driver over then entire season just like it always was before the "playoff system".

Even though I like JR he is not my favorite but let's face it NASCAR did give him a second chance to get the win.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:08 AM

5,199 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you cant throw a black flag because someones car wont accelerate like the rest of the field. you can throw a black flag if the car does not maintain a minimum speed. harvick was able to get up to that minimum speed, and was able to maintain pace car speed. it would be like someone spinning the tires on a restart, the rest of the field has to deal with it.
Harvick did say that his car would not accelerate..................he knew he could not keep up with the restart but chose to maintain his position.........tough call for NASCAR but what is their definition of intentional manipulation? Should make for some interesting scenarios if tempers or drivers negative opinions of the drama spill over to next weekend.

NASCAR got what it wants with the Monday morning water cooler debates!

Last edited by JBtwinz; 10-26-2015 at 06:17 AM..

Old 10-26-2015, 06:16 AM

5,199 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I want Logano to win the next three races but not the last race and the championship. This will show NASCAR that their championship format is a folly.

The champion has to be the best driver over then entire season just like it always was before the "playoff system".

Even though I like JR he is not my favorite but let's face it NASCAR did give him a second chance to get the win.
I see the need for playoffs in sports but clearly it is the better team that moves ahead every week.......you do have the ref's making calls that have played into upsets but other than that that with replays now it is pretty straight forward.

NASCAR racing on the other hand can easily take a leader out due to tragic restarts as we see this past weekend or any number of likely scenario's beyond the drivers control such as debris, getting caught up in someone's stupidity, intentional driver manipulation, etc.

There has to be a better way, but as they say it is as it is until they mix up the rules again.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, gee.. I wonder why they were booing.. And it's not because of the race.. It's because of who won vs who was in 2nd place.

This is what sucks.. I totally believe that was intentional on Harvick's part, but.. What do you do? Kick him out and put Newman in? An argument could be made that he doesn't do that, Earnhardt wins, and therefore advances.. But, do you take him and put him in? That doesn't add up..

Let's say Hamlin was lead lap and the wreck caused him to miss the next round, do you take Harvick out and leapfrog Hamlin over Newman?

Harvick did it perfect.. While I doubt he thought of all this.. He put NASCAR in a spot where they can't do jack squat to him, because if they do, then they show that their system is a farce.

Totally agree that Earnhardt's interview was pure class.
Harvick certainly did it on purpose. Although I am not sure what you mean by your 2nd to last sentence:

"He put NASCAR in a spot where they can't do jack squat to him, because if they do, then they show that their system is a farce".

Why do you feel this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Looked to me like when Harvick wrecked the 6, Logano hadn't crossed the S/F line either. So almost expected a third "try".

Nascar, should have just claimed Junior won. That would have knocked out Harvick too right? Or would it have been Kyle?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:21 AM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,742 times
Just glad my guy Shrub will be relevant when I am up there at The Paperclip this weekend!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:59 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Argh.. great race but the ending just sucked regardless of who you were rooting for.. no question in my mind Harvick caused the last yellow on purpose but what can you do. He was doing what he had to do to advance.. it does murky the championship playoff premise a bit but its been my experience that when you take shortcuts or skirt the sportsmanship rules, karma eventually bites you in the butt.. lets see how this one pans out.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:25 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Harvick certainly did it on purpose. Although I am not sure what you mean by your 2nd to last sentence:

"He put NASCAR in a spot where they can't do jack squat to him, because if they do, then they show that their system is a farce".

Why do you feel this way?
Because how do they 'fix' it? In any way that they tried to fix it, people would be ticked off and someone would be claiming it wasn't fair and would be right.

If they kick out Harvick and put in Newman (Who finished 9th in points) then Earnhardt has an argument of "Well, if he hadn't caused the wreck, I would have won, and I would have made it in"..

If they kick out Harvick and put in Earnhardt, then Newman has a legitimate argument that he would move up to 8th in points.. You can't say who would have won the race and Earnhardt had no chance to point his way in.

The pitch Harvick and bring noone else in..

They pitch Harvick and bring in both Newman and Earnhardt.. Well, Kenseth could make an argument he would have come from 8th to win the race...

There's no good outcome. However, I think Harvick destroyed his chance to win a championship.. Someone will be taking him out at Martinsville. And I think Logano is in the same boat.. Kenseth will be gunning for them.

THAT would be the stupid part of what Harvick did.. He's got a quarter of the field, at least, ticked off at him, and we're going to Martinsville. Where noone will have a problem dumping him, and he can't escape.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:41 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
Kinda bummed I missed all the hubbub, cut my cable and don't get NBCs-let's-exploit-people-cash channel. I hate what ESPN has done to things. Anyway, I did see the replay and it's obvious Harvick was doing it intentionally but unless he's admits it there's nothing nascar can do. And even then what can they do? Slap his wrists I guess. Now in the moment nascar could have made the 4 go to the end of line for the restart. But they never do such things. Or had another restart as a driver was attempting to manipulate the results, but that's what nascar gets for announcing a change that was easy to manipulate.

Jr was great afterwards. That's racing, move on.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:30 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Kinda bummed I missed all the hubbub, cut my cable and don't get NBCs-let's-exploit-people-cash channel. I hate what ESPN has done to things. Anyway, I did see the replay and it's obvious Harvick was doing it intentionally but unless he's admits it there's nothing nascar can do. And even then what can they do? Slap his wrists I guess. Now in the moment nascar could have made the 4 go to the end of line for the restart. But they never do such things. Or had another restart as a driver was attempting to manipulate the results, but that's what nascar gets for announcing a change that was easy to manipulate.

Jr was great afterwards. That's racing, move on.
JONAS, I too miss most of the NASCAR races on NBC Sports. But for Talladega, I just driver over to the race.. We had a great time as the weather was perfect and the racing was incredible up until the end. What a lousy way to end a great race but what can you do. As others have said, no matter what you do, someone would be upset. I do think NASCAR should do something to Harvick for intentionally manipulating the outcome the race.. heck they basically defunct Waltrip Racing for such actions but regardless, someone will be ticked. I would love to have seen Jr pass Logano on the last lap for the WIN but I would not want him to advance by being given a pass by NASCAR>. no thanks.. I will take my chances next year..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing