U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 08:58 AM

890 posts, read 1,532,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
It's not even that complicated. Fans like crashes and fights. That's all there is to it.
Well, real fans don't. The goons are just going to be out in full force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 10:17 AM

32,470 posts, read 26,347,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
A good driver in a faster car doesn't have to use the horn. Again, Logano had nothing to lose. If it is race 3 of the round, and neither are locked in, then race for the win and let the cards fall. And Kenseth could have mafe it look better? Really? Go back to having a champion based on a full season and this BS is eliminated.
teh fact that kenseth kept blocking logano at kansas wasnt the issue, it was WHEN he was blocking him. if kenseth had given logano room to race, then logano wouldnt have had to use the chrome horn, kenseth would not have spun, and he would have stayed in the race and finished second instead of fourteenth.

as for the chase format, we will have to agree to disagree on that, i think it is much better than having one driver just having to start the last race to win the championship, or just having to finish 18th in the last race. that gets boring. now you have four drivers that all can win the championship in the last race, and the beauty of it is they all have to race for the win, or at least the highest finish of the four drivers. none of them can relax and just cruise around the track, and when you get right down to it, that is what racing is all about.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:34 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,186,467 times
Didn't see the race of course, but what does one expect? Logano was going for a spin sooner or later. That's what nascar wants. Mission accomplished. It's still not racing. It's a joke. But leave the policing to the drivers then they will police themselves.

I don't particularly like Logano because he's an airhead that always has a smarmy smug look on his face. Kinda like the Busch bros before they grew up some. His father should be banned from the paddock, period. No place for that stuff. These are professionals and should never be subjected to a parent looking for fight.

Super cool the 24 got the win. Glad his last season will have at least one win and who knows - maybe more. That 5th championship would be very nice, and deserved. Should have had it a long time ago, and would have with a non-ridiculous chase junk format.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:38 AM

6,449 posts, read 3,459,939 times
All I can say is "Go Jeff Gordon"!!

At this stage of the game, now that he's on the doorstep, would love the fairy tale ending to his career. Truth is, getting this close is probably already deemed a fairy tale with all of the good young talent driving.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
teh fact that kenseth kept blocking logano at kansas wasnt the issue, it was WHEN he was blocking him. if kenseth had given logano room to race, then logano wouldnt have had to use the chrome horn, kenseth would not have spun, and he would have stayed in the race and finished second instead of fourteenth.

as for the chase format, we will have to agree to disagree on that, i think it is much better than having one driver just having to start the last race to win the championship, or just having to finish 18th in the last race. that gets boring. now you have four drivers that all can win the championship in the last race, and the beauty of it is they all have to race for the win, or at least the highest finish of the four drivers. none of them can relax and just cruise around the track, and when you get right down to it, that is what racing is all about.
And that is where the issue is. Given the situation, Logano didn't HAVE to use the horn. He could have backed off, or got another run at him in the remaining 5 laps. Again, 1 or 2 laps to go, neither one locked in, ok all bets are off. I am not saying intentionally wreck your competitor, but I would certainly understand Logano's aggressiveness in that situation a lot more.

If all a driver has to do is start the race to clinch the championship, they did well enough to put themselves in that position. I have no problem with that.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:19 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
kenseth set himself up to get spun at kansas because he was continually blocking logano. logano gave him a tap of the chrome horn and got him loose, so how was it longanos fault that kenseeth couldnt hold onto the car and keep it from spinning?
I disagree with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML58B5o-YUU

There's when Logano caught him.. Which was partially due to lap traffic. Any blocking there, and who is to say that wasn't Kenseth's line.. Happened on one corner. And, there were 5 laps to go..

Better view of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGuN3QoBN30

He turned him, plain and simple.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:28 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Well, real fans don't. The goons are just going to be out in full force.
I consider my self a true fan and I have to admit that I enjoyed Kenseth wrecking Lagono but also understand that is not what the sport is all about. I think you can be a true fan and still enjoy the crashes and fights to an extent... Kenseth was paying Lagono back for wrecking him at Kansas. Now Lagono and all other drivers know that if they intentionally wreck Kenseth (or move him and cause him to crash) there is a price to pay. I don't have a problem with that.. Do I think Kenseth could have found a better time to exact revenge, yes.. but Lagono certainly had it coming... now I would expect NASCAR to pay Kenseth back and heavily, probably a race or two and half a million $... I guess we'll see.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I consider my self a true fan and I have to admit that I enjoyed Kenseth wrecking Lagono but also understand that is not what the sport is all about. I think you can be a true fan and still enjoy the crashes and fights to an extent... Kenseth was paying Lagono back for wrecking him at Kansas. Now Lagono and all other drivers know that if they intentionally wreck Kenseth (or move him and cause him to crash) there is a price to pay. I don't have a problem with that.. Do I think Kenseth could have found a better time to exact revenge, yes.. but Lagono certainly had it coming... now I would expect NASCAR to pay Kenseth back and heavily, probably a race or two and half a million $... I guess we'll see.
I see your point. Thats where I was going with Saying Logano got what he deserved but I didn't like it. I know there is going to be bumping, banging, rubbing and some slamming. If you don't have that in full fendered auto racing then it would be pretty boring. What has happened for the last few weeks is good for a ratings bump but isn't sustainable for the long term. It isn't what this race fan wants to see week-in and week-out.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:08 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
And.. A very wise and valid point from Kyle Busch..

Kyle Busch: "Name above driver's door" determines NASCAR punishments

Think of the Bowyer/Gordon incident a few years back. Did Gordon get sat down for a race after that? Nope. Wasn't even a consideration.

Had that been either Busch.. at least a week out of the car.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:13 PM

Gordon on Dan Patrick this morning:

Gordon tells Dan Patrick that Logano could have handled Kansas better |

“Had Joey handled that situation at Kansas slightly better, I mean he was gloating about it, ‘oh yeah, that’s exactly the way I should have raced, he blocked me,’ ‘’ Gordon said.

“That’s fine if you feel that way – but guess what? – that’s not helping the situation and how he’s going to think about you and not even think twice if he gets in that scenario and in that situation.

“That’s what I learned in my situation with (Clint) Bowyer. Yeah, I had regrets. I wish I had handled it differently, but I also know that my raw emotions came out and I reacted, but it’s how you handle it from that point moving forward as to what is going to help you get through it and that goes from both sides.’’

Patrick then asked Gordon if Kenseth did what any other driver would have done in that situation.

“I can only speak for myself,’’ Gordon said. “I think Matt is a very intense driver. He’s quiet and reserved. I have had my run-ins with Matt. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Matt.

“I think that what he feels like is he was disrespected and that he wasn’t going to stand for it anymore. It’s like kind of a three-strikes-and-you’re-out situation. The Kansas thing happened and that’s strike one, and they had some issues at Talladega (Kenseth was upset at Logano for cutting across his car to enter pit road) and that’s strike two, and then, boom, this happens at Martinsville and it’s like strike three that’s it.

“I think anyone that was in that position who is a competitor and has driven a race car … 90 percent of the time they do the same thing.’’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or