U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-15-2015, 11:47 PM
 
890 posts, read 1,532,993 times
Reputation: 953

Advertisements

With a championship system that supposedly emphasizes winning, the final 4 include 2 drivers with 1 win, 1 driver with 3 and 1 with 4.

2 with 5 wins and 1 with 6 are on the outside looking in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2015, 02:30 AM
 
32,470 posts, read 26,347,895 times
Reputation: 19112
whats your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 04:41 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,802 posts, read 6,580,827 times
Reputation: 4172
Another huge letdown by NASCAR. They can't control the weather (rain in Phoenix of all places???) but they should have delayed the race until Monday. Sure it wouldn't have been great for the fans, but the race they ran wasn't great either.

I'm happy to see Jr win though and felt that the top 4 wouldn't change anyway going into this race, but for an elimination race, the drivers deserved a full race. Edwards for instance may have had a chance, but it is cool to see Truex in.

3 in a row now for Hendrick. Just one more will be needed for the 24 to get his 5th and final championship. Harvick will be the one to beat next Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 04:56 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,874,703 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Another huge letdown by NASCAR. They can't control the weather (rain in Phoenix of all places???) but they should have delayed the race until Monday. Sure it wouldn't have been great for the fans, but the race they ran wasn't great either.

I'm happy to see Jr win though and felt that the top 4 wouldn't change anyway going into this race, but for an elimination race, the drivers deserved a full race. Edwards for instance may have had a chance, but it is cool to see Truex in.

3 in a row now for Hendrick. Just one more will be needed for the 24 to get his 5th and final championship. Harvick will be the one to beat next Sunday.
It is only fitting that next week a non chaser will win the race.

Watch for Logano to take out Harvick for the win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,341 posts, read 15,790,881 times
Reputation: 9876
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It is only fitting that next week a non chaser will win the race.

Watch for Logano to take out Harvick for the win.
Or Newman or Jr. Which I hope happens then NASCAR is in the box if they do something about it and go against what they didn't do for Joey or they remain consistent. NASCAR's biggest problem is inconsistency when it comes to rule enforcement and discipline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 06:39 AM
 
890 posts, read 1,532,993 times
Reputation: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
whats your point?
It doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,628 posts, read 4,224,936 times
Reputation: 4582
Well, not a good way to end a season regardless. Rain is part of the deal and always has been. Many races have been shortened by rain so I can live with that but it truly sucks for the drivers who were on the outside looking in.. Hasn't every round ended this way... every round, minus maybe the 1st has ended with drivers getting screwed one way or the other. Not sure how NASCAR fixes that... I think the playoff system adds a lot of excitement but it also opens the door for things like drivers ending other drivers chances and or changing the outcomes of races. I think both Kenseth and Harvick have drastically changed the outcome of the Championship this year, whether that is good or bad, I think its true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,802 posts, read 6,580,827 times
Reputation: 4172
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It is only fitting that next week a non chaser will win the race.

Watch for Logano to take out Harvick for the win.
That would make an interesting finale. Don't forget that Kenseth will be back and he still has a big chip on his shoulder. Could make life difficult for Logano...but I don't see any major altercations since Matt is on probation.

Harvick is probably going to be the favorite to win the Championship. I'm rooting for Gordon, so any help by Joey would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 08:03 AM
 
32,470 posts, read 26,347,895 times
Reputation: 19112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
It doesn't work.
you mean like when the arizona cardinals went 9-7, won their division and nearly beat the steelers in the super bowl a number of years back? true the current system does reward winning, but it still rewards consistency as well. one could theoretically finish fifth in every race, and earn enough points to make the chase, and get through each chase segment to the final and win the championship all without winning a race the entire season. and that could happen under ANY points system nascar has used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, not a good way to end a season regardless. Rain is part of the deal and always has been. Many races have been shortened by rain so I can live with that but it truly sucks for the drivers who were on the outside looking in.. Hasn't every round ended this way... every round, minus maybe the 1st has ended with drivers getting screwed one way or the other. Not sure how NASCAR fixes that... I think the playoff system adds a lot of excitement but it also opens the door for things like drivers ending other drivers chances and or changing the outcomes of races. I think both Kenseth and Harvick have drastically changed the outcome of the Championship this year, whether that is good or bad, I think its true.
well said, carl edwards was not happy when nascar called the race when they did. i kind of doubt that he could have picked the five spots he needed to pick up though, truex was within sticking distance of carl all race long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2015, 08:34 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,874,703 times
Reputation: 11886
NASCAR, please go back to the old system where all the legitimate Champs were crowned.
Whoever accumulates the most point in the season is the champ. Who cares if he is crowned three races before the season ends.

This is not baseball or football where you have a championship season after the regular season.

Please stop the insanity. Haven't you screwed up the sport enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top