U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 07:21 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,226,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
My stance on Kyle Busch is that he should have been in the chase. NASCAR caused that issue by not having track safety (whether the Glen bootleg or inside wall SAFER barriers) be the priority that it should have been after several years of injuries. Also unlike Ragan, Kyle won several races so it wasn't some fluke. Kyle may been 27th going into Richmond but, he had 9 top 10s out of the 14 starts he had, 5 of which were top 5s and of those 5 top 5's, 4 went into victory lane. Hard to say he had a fluke year like Ragan did winning in his only top 10.

I do think that Rookie of the Year is convoluted. Remember in 2002, Jimmie Johnson wasn't rookie of the year despite a more consistent year that brought home a higher points finish than the driver who won it, Ryan Newman. I say keep the chase the way it was up til 2014 but maybe make the first nine races qualifiers and then only have the best 8 (out of wins and point) of the 16 race it out. And by the best 8, I mean just those 8. No non-chasers to play spoiler, just the ones going for the cup. If there's intentional wrecks, you're black flagged for the entire race and put in the finishing order below the driver you wrecked.
do you mean just 8 cars on the track???

Not sure that would be fun to watch. I for one, never enjoyed the IROC series...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:34 AM

890 posts, read 1,533,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Guys, we are stuck with what we got, NASCAR is not listening to it's customers, if they were they would not be removing seats from most of the tracks.
You can choose to stop paying for the seats at the track or for the premium TV channels but as long as sponsors are willing to pump millions into supporting teams and NASCAR it will never go back to the good ole days.

Since my team is eliminated from the final race as a championship contender my only interest this week is hoping one of them can rain on the parade.
Then it's back to football watching until Daytona in Feb.
I agree. The way to get to nascar is to contact the sponsors as well.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:46 AM

27,362 posts, read 15,801,153 times
I've stopped watching completely. Maybe if enough fans do what I do and stop caring, maybe they will get the message finally...

Old 11-17-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Not sure that would be fun to watch. I for one, never enjoyed the IROC series...
It is better than the alternative of having teammates and rivals *********.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:11 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
A driver who is 16th in points after 26 races should not have a chance to win the Championship.
I don't like the elimination format as is. I would like it a lot better if it were the same with one exception: top 8 drivers after 26 drivers, not top 16. That way, you have to win at least twice and maybe even three times to make the Chase. That way, there are no flukes like we almost had last year with Newman.
Well, think about it like this.. Under that format.. Gordon wouldn't be racing for the title this year. Kenseth wouldn't have made the chase last year. Stewart wouldn't have made the chase in 2011 (?)..

There are a number of times where the most consistent driver doesn't have multiple wins. Or even a single win.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:13 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,583,457 times
Quote:

What could be exciting is that 8 cars go into the final race all tied in points.

They race to be in the top four at the end of the race.

After the race, the top four go into their pits, take on new rubber, fuel, some adjustments (like the All Star race - take a short break for interviews, bathroom), then go back on the track for a winner takes all - 25 lap shoot out, by themselves, no other drivers on the track.

By doing it this way, all drivers get to race the final race, so all fans get to see their drivers, sponsors are happy.

The top 8 Chase drivers have to battle it out among the other 35, to be in the top four, while at the same time preserving their cars for the final battle.

It would be EPIC!!

Old 11-17-2015, 11:31 AM

32,490 posts, read 26,364,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yes but these 25th place drivers with only one top 10 (that being their win) are effectively going to be eliminated first round while perhaps the 16th place driver (or higher depending on the amount of winners) could have won and moved on. These fluke winners would typically need another fluke to move on.

Note I disagree with the NHL's new top three teams get into the playoffs that was set up with their realignment as a weak division can see teams that shouldn't be in as the 6th place team in another conference could be better than the third place team in the worst division of that conference. The best teams should be in the playoffs, for NASCAR wins are a small component compared to consistency. A TRUE FAN knows that and I hate using the No True Scottsman argu!ment but I was a fan as a kid and into my young adulthood and I knew this. I'm sure the older fans see this too.
i have been a fan of nascar since the early 70s, so i have seen many changes over the years, some good, some bad. as i have said before, i personally didnt like the old points system because when you get down to the last race of the season, and the points leader only has to finish 18th or better to win the championship, that race is boring. or when the points leader just has to start the race to win the championship. at least this current system allows for some intrigue in the last race since four drivers have a real shot at the championship. in the end no system is perfect, and we have to deal with what we get.

Quote:

i rather liked the IROC series, the only problem i saw with it was they used only one car, even though their driver pool crossed several series. what they should have done was build three or four different types of race cars, and rotate them during the race series so that each driver at least gets close to their type of race car during the series. for instance they should have built a big stock car like nascar used, an open wheel car like F1 and indy cars used, and something from the trans am series, and perhaps scca production series cars. this would have given a range of cars the racers would have to compete in, and truly measure the skill and talents of each driver. the other thing is to not let them know what kind of car they would be driving at the track until they got in the car for practice.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:40 AM

445 posts, read 681,214 times
IROC was good until they stopped running all types of tracks.

Running only oval tracks pretty much made it boring,

Still think that a road course race should be part of the chase.

But prefer they do away with this nonsense and go back to the old system.

But that won't happen because NASCAR will never admit to any failure.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i have been a fan of nascar since the early 70s, so i have seen many changes over the years, some good, some bad. as i have said before, i personally didnt like the old points system because when you get down to the last race of the season, and the points leader only has to finish 18th or better to win the championship, that race is boring. or when the points leader just has to start the race to win the championship. at least this current system allows for some intrigue in the last race since four drivers have a real shot at the championship. in the end no system is perfect, and we have to deal with what we get.

i rather liked the IROC series, the only problem i saw with it was they used only one car, even though their driver pool crossed several series. what they should have done was build three or four different types of race cars, and rotate them during the race series so that each driver at least gets close to their type of race car during the series. for instance they should have built a big stock car like nascar used, an open wheel car like F1 and indy cars used, and something from the trans am series, and perhaps scca production series cars. this would have given a range of cars the racers would have to compete in, and truly measure the skill and talents of each driver. the other thing is to not let them know what kind of car they would be driving at the track until they got in the car for practice.
My ideal chase removes a race (I'd actually move Dega up to remove that wild card) is three segments, a four race 16 car chase field, anther four race eight car chase field and one final race with either the four winners from the second segment or best average finish if there are repeat winners in that segment.

To qualify is a bit different. To instantly qualify on wins alone, you would need to have a set amount based on point positions. Regardless of wins, 1-5 are in. From there, 6-15 need one win to qualify, 16-25 need two wins and 26-30 need three wins. I know a little confusing but it gives fans who care about consistency what they want and writers who b**** and moan about winners not in the chase what they want. The grid would still be reset by wins though. It just is an equalizer between consistency and going for single wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
IROC was good until they stopped running all types of tracks.

Running only oval tracks pretty much made it boring,

Still think that a road course race should be part of the chase.

But prefer they do away with this nonsense and go back to the old system.

But that won't happen because NASCAR will never admit to any failure.
Yeah remember the fiasco with Kyle Busch's injuries. Joie Chitwood (DIS President) took the fall on the proverbial sword over the SAFER Barriers on the infield, it wasn't a France for either NASCAR or ISC.

I think the only reason any road course isn't in the chase is the unpredictability of the weather. Besides Sonoma (which is cold this time of year) New York's Walkins Glenn and Wisconsin's Road America and even Mid-Ohio are far too suspetable to rain if not snow. I'd love to see the road course to but logistically is pretty impossible except if we use the Daytona internal road course.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:48 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,226,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
What could be exciting is that 8 cars go into the final race all tied in points.

They race to be in the top four at the end of the race.

After the race, the top four go into their pits, take on new rubber, fuel, some adjustments (like the All Star race - take a short break for interviews, bathroom), then go back on the track for a winner takes all - 25 lap shoot out, by themselves, no other drivers on the track.

By doing it this way, all drivers get to race the final race, so all fans get to see their drivers, sponsors are happy.

The top 8 Chase drivers have to battle it out among the other 35, to be in the top four, while at the same time preserving their cars for the final battle.

It would be EPIC!!
I like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or