U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 06:14 PM

32,470 posts, read 26,347,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
IROC was good until they stopped running all types of tracks.

Running only oval tracks pretty much made it boring,

Still think that a road course race should be part of the chase.

But prefer they do away with this nonsense and go back to the old system.

But that won't happen because NASCAR will never admit to any failure.
i agree with a road race in the chase, in fact i think that nascar should have more road racing in sprint cup anyway.

mpunk, a road race at daytona would be cool, or road atlanta could also work. or what about sebring? that way we dont have three races at daytona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,874,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i agree with a road race in the chase, in fact i think that nascar should have more road racing in sprint cup anyway.

mpunk, a road race at daytona would be cool, or road atlanta could also work. or what about sebring? that way we dont have three races at daytona.
Simple solution is do away with the July Daytona race (Fl too hot in July anyway) Have a Daytona road race in October as part of the Chase (better weather than July)
Run the race rain or shine for 250 miles.
It would have to be unrestricted in order to run the road course but the gearing required would keep the oval part of the track speeds well below 200MPH.

I would rent a camper spot for that in a heartbeat.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Simple solution is do away with the July Daytona race (Fl too hot in July anyway) Have a Daytona road race in October as part of the Chase (better weather than July)
Run the race rain or shine for 250 miles.
It would have to be unrestricted in order to run the road course but the gearing required would keep the oval part of the track speeds well below 200MPH.

I would rent a camper spot for that in a heartbeat.
that is another idea, but then where does nascar go for a july fourth race?might be interesting to shift the late taledega race to july fourth.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:07 PM

890 posts, read 1,532,993 times
Talladega in July would be just as hot, if not hotter, than Daytona. Talladega also doesn't have lights and Daytona does. Not that they couldn't add some.

Either way, I don't think moving the July race from Daytona is a good idea.

If you want to add a road course to the chase, take it from Texas Motor Speedway and move it to Circuit of the Americas down the road in Austin. The infrastructure is already there and they will need the revenue after F1 departs.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:43 AM

adding circuit of the americas is a good idea also. in the end i would like to see something like six or seven road course race in sprint cup each season instead of two. of course i would also like to see more bull rings as well. north wilksboro for isntance was a great race to watch back in the day.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:22 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Quote:
adding circuit of the americas is a good idea also. in the end i would like to see something like six or seven road course race in sprint cup each season instead of two. of course i would also like to see more bull rings as well. north wilksboro for isntance was a great race to watch back in the day.
Wilkesboro was good, but Rockingham was better.

I always thought they should have set Darlington and Rockingham on a rotating schedule.. Year 1, Darlington gets 2 races, Rockingham 1.. Year 2 Rockingham gets 2 races and Darlington one..

For your road course during the chase.. What about Road Atlanta?

Track Map - Road Atlanta

Decent enough weather in late September and October.. Fair chance of rain, but not too cold.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:07 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,874,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I always thought they should have set Darlington and Rockingham on a rotating schedule.. Year 1, Darlington gets 2 races, Rockingham 1.. Year 2 Rockingham gets 2 races and Darlington one..

Track Map - Road Atlanta

Decent enough weather in late September and October.. Fair chance of rain, but not too cold.
Since I'm only 20 min from Rockingham I like that plan bit it's too little too late.

You can't go back.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Track Map - Road Atlanta

yeah, i liked rockingham as well. wilksboro was more a challenge though since is was a flatter track.

i would like to see nascar drop the second race at a lot of tracks, and use those dates to bring back tracks like wilksboro and the rock.

as for road atlants, read post 621 where i suggested running at road atlanta.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:07 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Quote:
yeah, i liked rockingham as well. wilksboro was more a challenge though since is was a flatter track.

i would like to see nascar drop the second race at a lot of tracks, and use those dates to bring back tracks like wilksboro and the rock.

as for road atlants, read post 621 where i suggested running at road atlanta.
Thought you said Road America there. I have a mental block on those two and get them mixed up.

Wilkesboro is out of the question. Seen that place lately? It's a lost cause.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...f8f682!6m1!1e1

Click through the photos at the bottom.. It's too far gone. Noone is going to go there and do what's necessary, which would be raze it and start over. A better chance for someone to build a new track like it.. The best thing about Wilkesboro was that the frontstretch was uphill and the back downhill.. Or vice versa.. Last time that track was used was for a Roush "Gong Show".. Actually, they did race some there as recently as 2010.. Amazing that it deteriorated that much in 5 years.

Rockingham is in better shape.. Of course, it's in bad financial shape.. Last I heard Hillenberg was about to lose it. But, someone with money went in there, it could be race ready very quickly.

Pocono I think could lose a race.. That race has gone downhill since they shortened it to 400 miles. Same with Dover.

I'd really love to see them do something, even if it was an exhibition race.. Where they revisit classic tracks of the past once a year.. Bowman-Grey.. Greenville-Pickens.. Old Dominion (Though, I believe that recently closed).. Myrtle Beach.. Hickory. That would be pretty cool.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Thought you said Road America there. I have a mental block on those two and get them mixed up.

Wilkesboro is out of the question. Seen that place lately? It's a lost cause.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...f8f682!6m1!1e1

Click through the photos at the bottom.. It's too far gone. Noone is going to go there and do what's necessary, which would be raze it and start over. A better chance for someone to build a new track like it.. The best thing about Wilkesboro was that the frontstretch was uphill and the back downhill.. Or vice versa.. Last time that track was used was for a Roush "Gong Show".. Actually, they did race some there as recently as 2010.. Amazing that it deteriorated that much in 5 years.
yeah, i know wilksboro would need a lot. but maybe tearing it down and putting up a new facility is the best thing for the wilksboro area.

Quote:
Rockingham is in better shape.. Of course, it's in bad financial shape.. Last I heard Hillenberg was about to lose it. But, someone with money went in there, it could be race ready very quickly.
again, someone needs to step up.

Quote:
Pocono I think could lose a race.. That race has gone downhill since they shortened it to 400 miles. Same with Dover.
i agree that pocono could lose a race date, but dover was shortened for practical reasons. remember it comes the week after the 600, and dover, being the track it is, takes a lot out of the drivers, and as i recall there were more wrecks after 400 miles than before, which is why they shortened that race.

Quote:
I'd really love to see them do something, even if it was an exhibition race.. Where they revisit classic tracks of the past once a year.. Bowman-Grey.. Greenville-Pickens.. Old Dominion (Though, I believe that recently closed).. Myrtle Beach.. Hickory. That would be pretty cool.
any of those could also be interesting races. i just think that sprint cup needs to run a bigger variety of track sizes and configurations. they need to get back to running the bullrings, as well as the mid tracks and super speedways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or