U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2015, 06:58 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,888,814 times
Reputation: 11886

Advertisements

Quote:
Rockingham is in better shape.. Of course, it's in bad financial shape.. Last I heard Hillenberg was about to lose it. But, someone with money went in there, it could be race ready very quickly.
again, someone needs to step up.

Vets-Help.org has purchased Rockingham speedway but I am not sure if they intend to lure NASCAR back.

Check their site of future projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2015, 08:37 AM
 
9,431 posts, read 7,112,047 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yeah, i know wilksboro would need a lot. but maybe tearing it down and putting up a new facility is the best thing for the wilksboro area.
It's the area that's the problem. First, it's in the middle of nowhere. Second, it's too close to Martinsville. That's really why it lost the race in the first place. Well, technically, it was to get New Hampshire a second race and Texas a date, but..

That style track, somewhere else.. Could be very good. If I was building a track, that's the style that I'd look at building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2015, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Out in the Badlands
10,425 posts, read 8,794,092 times
Reputation: 7735
I was watching a fight the other night and a NASCAR race broke out. Cheezz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2015, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,387 posts, read 15,816,842 times
Reputation: 9896
I think the ISC and SMI tracks like Phoenix, Daytona, Martinsville, Richmond, Charlotte, New Hampshire, even Dega and Bristol need to lose their doubles before Dover and Pocono do. IMO i would completely drop Indy from the lineup period. It is a joke how many people show up to the Brickyard now for a boring race.

I'd love to see Rockingham return but the track still needs SAFER barriers. I also thought that Wiliksboro had been pretty much over run by weeds and in very bad disrepair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2015, 01:36 PM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,888,814 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

I'd love to see Rockingham return but the track still needs SAFER barriers. I also thought that Wiliksboro had been pretty much over run by weeds and in very bad disrepair.
Rockingham has SAFER barriers. They were installed prior to the last truck race a couple years ago.
I don't know if they have complete coverage but the corners are SAFER because NASCAR required that before the truck race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2015, 03:47 PM
 
9,431 posts, read 7,112,047 times
Reputation: 12202
Inside North Wilkesboro Speedway, the abandoned NASCAR track | Daily Mail Online

I saw that earlier this year.. Had forgotten about it until this discussion.. LOTS of good, current pictures of the track. I think, viewing those, everyone can agree that it's too far gone. And that it's quite sad.

I didn't think about this, but.. Wilkesboro only had 36 pit stalls, didn't it? When they stopped running it in '96, that was back when they were still only running 36 cars at short tracks, I think. 37 cars ran in the final race with 3 DNQs.

Many people forget that.. I remember Dale Jarrett missing a race at.. Perhaps it was Bristol in 1994 because of the short fields.

So, in addition.. They'd have to reconfigure things to allow for 43 pit stalls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2015, 04:07 PM
 
32,501 posts, read 26,389,888 times
Reputation: 19153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Inside North Wilkesboro Speedway, the abandoned NASCAR track | Daily Mail Online

I saw that earlier this year.. Had forgotten about it until this discussion.. LOTS of good, current pictures of the track. I think, viewing those, everyone can agree that it's too far gone. And that it's quite sad.

I didn't think about this, but.. Wilkesboro only had 36 pit stalls, didn't it? When they stopped running it in '96, that was back when they were still only running 36 cars at short tracks, I think. 37 cars ran in the final race with 3 DNQs.

Many people forget that.. I remember Dale Jarrett missing a race at.. Perhaps it was Bristol in 1994 because of the short fields.

So, in addition.. They'd have to reconfigure things to allow for 43 pit stalls.
reconfiguring to add pit stalls isnt that hard, either they run pit stalls on both sides of the track, or they make pit road extra long. both have been done at other bullrings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2015, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,387 posts, read 15,816,842 times
Reputation: 9896
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
reconfiguring to add pit stalls isnt that hard, either they run pit stalls on both sides of the track, or they make pit road extra long. both have been done at other bullrings.
It is doable with other needed upgrades to make the track car ready and fan ready. As I said before, the track is in disrepair as SMI just let the track get covered up in weeds. Remember, Darlington and Martinsville use to have two pitroads similar to Bristol back in the 1990's. Now both tracks have a single pitroad each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 PM
 
32,501 posts, read 26,389,888 times
Reputation: 19153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is doable with other needed upgrades to make the track car ready and fan ready. As I said before, the track is in disrepair as SMI just let the track get covered up in weeds. Remember, Darlington and Martinsville use to have two pitroads similar to Bristol back in the 1990's. Now both tracks have a single pitroad each.
which proves my point. but as i have noted before, its probably best to tear down the track at wilksboro, and put up a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 PM
 
9,431 posts, read 7,112,047 times
Reputation: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is doable with other needed upgrades to make the track car ready and fan ready. As I said before, the track is in disrepair as SMI just let the track get covered up in weeds. Remember, Darlington and Martinsville use to have two pitroads similar to Bristol back in the 1990's. Now both tracks have a single pitroad each.
I bet they (especially Martinsville) wish they had come up with the Bristol idea where under green, it's 2 pit roads, under yellow it's one.

That.. Was brilliant. and so simple.

It's not as simple as "oh, just extend pit road".. Let's take the condition of Wilkesboro out of the equation.. You have to extend the pit wall, you have to make sure there's no bad angles created doing it.. Now, you'd of course have to add SAFER barriers to that pit wall most likely. Paying engineers to design that SAFER barrier. Not cheap.

Of course, the SAFER argument is halfway moot because the entire track would have to get them, but..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top