U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 10:38 AM

6,571 posts, read 10,299,032 times

Advertisements

Travis Kvapil is out of this weekend's race at Atlanta because someone stole his car.

Team Xtreme Racing No. 44 NASCAR Sprint Cup car of Travis Kvapil stolen from hotel parking lot - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:52 AM

27,409 posts, read 15,827,676 times
The block is really only a problem on the plates due to the double yellow line rule. Carl Edwards found that out the hard way in 2009 when he tried to block Brad in the tri-oval on the last lap.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:54 AM

27,409 posts, read 15,827,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Travis Kvapil is out of this weekend's race at Atlanta because someone stole his car.

Team Xtreme Racing No. 44 NASCAR Sprint Cup car of Travis Kvapil stolen from hotel parking lot - ESPN
That is nuts, what would anyone do with an best 30th finishing car, let alone, any stock-car? The trailer I can kind of understand but that is it.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:28 PM

32,517 posts, read 26,406,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is nuts, what would anyone do with an best 30th finishing car, let alone, any stock-car? The trailer I can kind of understand but that is it.
estimated losses at $400,000. what the thief would end up getting is probably $10,000 from a chop shop who would end up making about quadruple that.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:53 PM

9,672 posts, read 4,623,780 times
There was a bunch of cars that never got a chance to qualify, including Jeff Gordon.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:29 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,190,010 times
I'm thinking the owner of the 44 hired someone to take the car so he can get insurance money. Seriously though, at least steal a good car.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:31 PM

32,517 posts, read 26,406,003 times
well they got the car and the truck back, no word on the trailer though;

Stolen No. 44 NASCAR race car found in suburban Atlanta - NetZero

Old 03-14-2015, 02:22 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,968,066 times
Not much happening on this thread.................is anyone feeling like me that NASCAR is close to the abyss and with sponsorships dwindling, attendance down, constant tweaking of NASCAR on the rules and silly (I think) hammering home the importance of electronic coverage of pit row infractions, qualifying, tire problems, car body's made so fragile that a gentle bump or rub can ruin a drivers chances for the day, along with drivers splitters able to innocently taking opponents tires out, and the every evolving Chase rules are turning what's left of the diehard NASCAR fans off.

What's next...owners challenge and we have a charged timeout and red flag to review the calls. See link below:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...ac51f97a%27%5D

For what's it is worth I say go back to the metal body panels slow the speeds down a bit and let the drivers go at it.....................rather than watch them go around and around while the announcers keep mentioning the big one.

It may be me but I think NASCAR is losing viewers as well as bodies in the stands. Six years ago they narrowed the seats to get more fans.......now they say they are making the seats bigger for that fan comfort experience

My two or three cents................have a good weekend!

Old 03-14-2015, 02:42 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,325,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Not much happening on this thread.................is anyone feeling like me that NASCAR is close to the abyss and with sponsorships dwindling, attendance down, constant tweaking of NASCAR on the rules and silly (I think) hammering home the importance of electronic coverage of pit row infractions, qualifying, tire problems, car body's made so fragile that a gentle bump or rub can ruin a drivers chances for the day, and the every evolving Chase rules are turning what's left of the diehard NASCAR fans off.

What's next...owners challenge and we have a charged timeout and red flag to review the calls. See link below:

NASCAR's 'big brother' debuts at PIR

For what's it is worth I say go back to the metal body panels slow the speeds down a bit and let the drivers go at it.....................rather than watch them go around and around while the announcers keep mentioning the big one.

It may be me but I think NASCAR is losing viewers as well as bodies in the stands. Six years ago they narrowed the seats to get more fans.......now they say the are making the seats bigger for that fan comfort experience

My two or three cents................have a good weekend!
The cars still have metal body panels, only the front and rear bumpers are plastic.
If you, along with all the other naysayers, keeping harping that NASCAR is doomed long enough maybe, eventually, you will be right. Assuming you live long enough.
IMO, I'm for a driver's day being ruined by a mishap. Not because I wish bad things upon any drivers, rather it places an obstacle for the team to overcome. I would also like to see NASCAR relax some rules that allow teams to take mechanical risks. For example: back when Leo Jackson first cambered the rear axle other teams went too far which resulted in broken axles. NASCAR poo-pooed on that by setting camber limits. Let them set camber, let them crab walk, let them trick out the shocks. Let them make mistakes (non life threatening) that could make or break a championship run.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:07 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,968,066 times
I realize there are sheet metal body panels.........but these panels are a far cry from yesterday and with composites taking a growing part in the future these cars will only get more delicate has time moves forward.

NASCAR feels carbon fiber impact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or